Motorcycle Carriers for Trailer Hitches?

PFJohns

Does anyone have any experience with motorcycle carriers for a trailer hitch? Occasionally, I’d like to take my 454-lb FJ-09 to different places behind my Mazda CX-5, and I don’t want to bother with a trailer and its expense, maintenance, tagging, wiring, parking, backing up, storage, etc.

I see that there are several different bike carrier brands, like the 500-lb Black Widow carrier seen here on Amazon, and wonder if they’re safe, easy to use and efficient?

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Widow-MCC-500-Motorcycle-Carrier/dp/B00OZ1IM3C/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524239049&sr=1-7&keywords=motorcycle+carriers+for+trailer+hitch - customerReviews

Any insights appreciated—TIA!

Just checked the specs for the CX-5 and the max towing capacity is 2000 pounds. Generally, 10-15% of the weight is directly on the hitch (tongue weight) which would give a max tongue of 200-300 pounds. Of course, tow ratings are very conservative, however, 450+ pounds will probably be too much.

Worst case scenario you just get some dank wheelies out of the CX-5!

I do recall seeing a "Wheel Chock" style motorcycle trailer.... it secures the front wheel off the ground to the hitch and you put the bike in N and pull it along...

I also have seen the skinny single "rail" style trailers that fold up really nice...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I was given one of those hitch carriers with a used bike I bought from a guy some time ago. I tried it out one time on a 200# dirt bike and it was pretty scary so I ended up giving it to a kid with a pit bike, I can't imagine you would feel very comfortable with a 500# bike on one of them contraptions even if you could get it up there.
  • Thumbsup 1
BLB

• Premium Member
I just bought one like that from Harbor Freight. They did strengthen the motorcycle rail to the hitch arm, and there are stabilizers "hugging" the hitch. It feels pretty sturdy, I tried to load the FJ with the supplied ramp but the slope is too steep and the oil drain plug snags on the point where the ramp connects to the rail. If you manually lift the bike beyond that point or use a longer ramp it might be ok to load.
Have not tried to drive with it so cannot comment how it feels but just from initial impression it might be doable. For now I'm sticking with the flatbed and using the hitch trailer just for dirt bike

• Premium Member
Just checked the specs for the CX-5 and the max towing capacity is 2000 pounds. Generally, 10-15% of the weight is directly on the hitch (tongue weight) which would give a max tongue of 200-300 pounds. Of course, tow ratings are very conservative, however, 450+ pounds will probably be too much.  
Worst case scenario you just get some dank wheelies out of the CX-5!
A class-3 hitch it would have to be... and this kind of load bouncing around in the back would tear that uni-body apart in a hurry. grin.png
The problem wasn't so much the weight as it was the the stability because it rocked back and forth like a sea-saw in the receiver, and then the tie down points were a bit too close for comfort. 
BLB

• Supporting Member
I was given one of those hitch carriers with a used bike I bought from a guy some time ago. I tried it out one time on a 200# dirt bike and it was pretty scary so I ended up giving it to a kid with a pit bike, I can't imagine you would feel very comfortable with a 500# bike on one of them contraptions even if you could get it up there.
Exact same experience here too, I tried this style carrier to transport a 200# MX bike.  The hitch in the receiver was wobbly and made me so nervous that I was driving well under the limit, constantly checking the rear view mirror to make sure the bike didn't fall off.  I never used it again. I cant imagine trying to transport a 500# bike with one.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I do recall seeing a "Wheel Chock" style motorcycle trailer.... it secures the front wheel off the ground to the hitch and you put the bike in N and pull it along... 

Like this one? 
31062209_879359802265707_672880323356841026_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=153c201ed4e301bbee28b7e1e8c98f82&oe=5B67ED78

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

Like this one? 
31062209_879359802265707_672880323356841026_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=153c201ed4e301bbee28b7e1e8c98f82&oe=5B67ED78
Wow, where is that photo taken?  Mt. St. Helens?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

A mere $1,500CAD will get you a folding trailer. These guys are just down the road from me... think I'll pay a visit just to have a look. I could easily find a spot for that somewhere. 
gallery_tiab.png

might be cheaper to DIY
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 2 weeks later...