Oil change capacity 2.8 liter with filter> Really

2linby

Second oli change. First one was at at 1000 miles. 2.8L exactly with new filter, Drained it warm completely. Oil sight glass completely covered. I sucked out 8 oz with my Mity Vac. Oil in sight glass. Second oil Change with filter at 5000 miles oil warm and  I added exactly 2.5 liters of oil. Slightly over the halfway mark in the sight glass.  Me? or is it impossible to get all the oil out of this beast thus the first overfill?

Using Rotella T6 full synthetic with a HiFlo 204 filter.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
was the site glass completely covered by oil with the bike running? or just before you started the bike?

Mine shows completely covered with oil until I start the bike, then it settles down to the marks on the glass. Turn it off, and oil fills the window again.

• 2 weeks later...
Matching the marks on the sight glass indicates the correct oil level.  In my case the first time I changed the oil I could not see any daylight until I removed 8 ounces of oil. I added exactly 2.8 liters per the specifications in the factory owners manual with a oil filter change.

Again the second oil change I used 2.5 liters and the sight glass shows some "air" but it  is still on the high side over the markings in the glass. Yes one after a days ride and a nights cool down on the center stand does the level still show slightly higher than it should. I guess the next change I'll just put in 2.3 liter and see whats what. 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

the oil sight glass works after you run thr bike for a min or two then let it sit for about 5mins to allow the oil lvl to settle... I put in 2.5qt for an oil change then check the lvl after a quick trip round the block...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

best practice is to add a little less oil than what the "books" call for, its always eaiser to add than to remove oil...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Just did my first oil change on my newly aquired used FJ (2015). It has 10000 on it and put in 2.75 quarts of 15W-50 full synthetic Yamalube and a filter. I drained it hot on the stand and with the oIL I pUT back, it show's at the upper end of the window. Shifting is smoother and I have piece of mind knowing what's in the crankcase.

Any PROS/CONS with 15W-50 vs 10W-40? I live in NH and it gets hot and don't plan on riding past Fall (45°F)

My .02...

I don't second guess the engineers who designed and built the engine... and determined the type, weight, and other aspects of the oil required for longterm operation.

IMHO there is a lot of snake oil advertising around oil and oil additives.

I read in Consumer Report that the wider the viscosity range rating the less the oil can actually maintain that viscosity. Thus 10-50 is less stable than 15-40.

cb
PS Where are you in NH?    I'm in Portsmouth and never see another 09.
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

15W is too heavy any time of the year, particularly under 60F. 

I disagree and apparently so does Yamaha 

Screenshot_20180809-205942.png

I would also respectfully disagree. Especially since Yamalube full synthetic oil is only available in 15w50 or 5w30 (newer CP4 R1’s) if memory serves.

The factory markets those weights of oil because they work in street and supersport bike engines. Plain and simple.

Another interesting data point: Honda ONLY recommends 10w30 in every powersport product that they now sell, from Wings to Pioneers to CRF dirt bikes.

Every manufacturer is different. Run what you like. I run Yamalube synthetic, so that narrows down my choices.

-Skip

My .02... 
I don't second guess the engineers who designed and built the engine... and determined the type, weight, and other aspects of the oil required for longterm operation.

IMHO there is a lot of snake oil advertising around oil and oil additives.

I read in Consumer Report that the wider the viscosity range rating the less the oil can actually maintain that viscosity. Thus 10-50 is less stable than 15-40.

cb
PS Where are you in NH?    I'm in Portsmouth and never see another 09.
...And i make 3!!! I'm in Manch-Vegas and like you never see any FJ's.

Archived