• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE: MC Commute

Zach Courts of Motorcyclist magazine does a YouTube series of motorcycle reviews as he commutes to the office (Irvine, SoCal) over streets, roads and freeways.  He's something of a hooligan and giggles a lot, but he's fair and balanced and, for a hooligan, sensible. Today he posted his MC Commute on the Tracer Goo GT (he's being funny) .  One of the best I've seen.  

I've actually driven that same route pretty much many times, the training center for where I work is in that same area he works at, and he rides right by the hotel we always stay at. I've been watching his ride to work vids for awhile and I'm always looking out for him when I'm in that area haha

• 2 weeks later...
So Zack Courts finished up the ride to work and while considering that feat, realizes the the $14000 Tracer GT is a gussied up $9000 FZ-09, which he finds to be a paradox, ie, how can loading a $9000 bike up with trick features make it worth $14000?  He writes an article: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/paradox-2019-yamaha-tracer-900-gt    exploring the paradox.  Well, exploring it to his satisfaction.  He trots out similarly priced models (Ninja 1000, Africa Twin and a base Ducati Super Sport)  and says: "All of those bikes have their shortcomings, but aren’t so much accessorized versions of a smaller, cheaper bike as they are stand-alone models." 

Golly Sargent, I guess Zack isn't aware that almost almost all BMW motorcycles are pimped out versions of their base models. Try feature matching and pricing these:  R1200R; R1200RS; R1200RT; R1200GS; R1200GSA. Same engine in all five and the mechanical differences, while significant, don't make them "stand alone models" and BMW wouldn't have it any other way. They repeat the process in the S1000, RnineT and F800 series as well. Maybe Yamaha learned from BMW's success?

So Zack Courts finished up the ride to work and while considering that feat, realizes the the $14000 Tracer GT is a gussied up $9000 FZ-09, which he finds to be a paradox, ie, how can loading a $9000 bike up with trick features make it worth $14000?  He writes an article: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/paradox-2019-yamaha-tracer-900-gt    exploring the paradox.  Well, exploring it to his satisfaction.  He trots out similarly priced models (Ninja 1000, Africa Twin and a base Ducati Super Sport)  and says: "All of those bikes have their shortcomings, but aren’t so much accessorized versions of a smaller, cheaper bike as they are stand-alone models."   
Golly Sargent, I guess Zack isn't aware that almost almost all BMW motorcycles are pimped out versions of their base models. Try feature matching and pricing these:  R1200R; R1200RS; R1200RT; R1200GS; R1200GSA. Same engine in all five and the mechanical differences, while significant, don't make them "stand alone models" and BMW wouldn't have it any other way. They repeat the process in the S1000, RnineT and F800 series as well. Maybe Yamaha learned from BMW's success?
Cannot open the link, which is a pity as I'd like to read his words.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Zach Courts of Motorcyclist magazine does a YouTube series of motorcycle reviews as he commutes to the office (Irvine, SoCal) over streets, roads and freeways.  He's something of a hooligan and giggles a lot, but he's fair and balanced and, for a hooligan, sensible. Today he posted his MC Commute on the Tracer Goo GT (he's being funny) .  One of the best I've seen.   

Funny, when I look at the sticker, I see “Goo” as well, I wish they used a different font.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Cannot open the link, which is a pity as I'd like to read his words.

Try this:  https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/paradox-2019-yamaha-tracer-900-gt
Thanks, bill.   Without appearing to be defensive about the Tracer (I have no reason to be) I think that the writer, Zac Courts, has taken his particular line so as to be able to pen something a bit different!   Let's be honest about this - whenever the second, third, fourth, tenth iteration of a bike comes to market it retains much of the DNA of the first edition - some more, some less.   Pimped-up, gussied-up, improved, developed more, enhanced - all roads lead to Rome.    
I've owned numerous BMW Boxer twins over the years, both R Roadster models and GSs, and several F Series too (including the F800 GT which would be a close but IMHO somewhat inferior competitor to our Tracer GT).   I've had no difficulty with regarding each as a 'new' and stand-alone model, even though as time went by and newer versions emerged the differences may have been relatively slight.   

And I'm sure that eventually the Mk III/ 2020 or '21 model Tracers will be similarly enhanced, yet retain much of the original DNA.

So woddameye saying?   The buyers will decide.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

still cheaper to buy a leftover MK1(pre 2017s) variant and farkle it out to your hearts content from suspension to seat to a Quickshifter and still be cheaper than a new Tracer900 GT

only gonna missing a color dash...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Thanks, bill.   Without appearing to be defensive about the Tracer (I have no reason to be) I think that the writer, Zac Courts, has taken his particular line so as to be able to pen something a bit different!   Let's be honest about this - whenever the second, third, fourth, tenth iteration of a bike comes to market it retains much of the DNA of the first edition - some more, some less.   Pimped-up, gussied-up, improved, developed more, enhanced - all roads lead to Rome.    
I've owned numerous BMW Boxer twins over the years, both R Roadster models and GSs, and several F Series too (including the F800 GT which would be a close but IMHO somewhat inferior competitor to our Tracer GT).   I've had no difficulty with regarding each as a 'new' and stand-alone model, even though as time went by and newer versions emerged the differences may have been relatively slight.   

And I'm sure that eventually the Mk III/ 2020 or '21 model Tracers will be similarly enhanced, yet retain much of the original DNA.

So woddameye saying?   The buyers will decide.
I think you're on to something Wordsmith; that Courts is trying to stand out by having a different perspective on the Tracer GT. The assertion that to justify the Tracer GT's asking price, it should have been a "clean sheet" design addressing the requirements of sport touring is, IMHO, snobbery. I suppose if had cited deficiencies in the Tracer GT's performance as a sport touring model arising from it's FZ-09 origins,  he might have a point.  As it is, he's a hooligan moto-journalist who does a good job riding and reviewing motorcycles.  He needs to leave "clean sheet" decisions to those who get paid to make them and are fired when they are wrong. As you say Wordsmith, the buyers will decide. 

still cheaper to buy a leftover MK1(pre 2017s) variant and farkle it out to your hearts content from suspension to seat to a Quickshifter and still be cheaper than a new Tracer900 GT  
only gonna missing a color dash...
After the overkill of confusing layouts, formats, and other shortcomings (IMO) on recent BMW dashes, I found the relatively simpler Mk I Tracer dash to be perfectly acceptable, even preferable.   Very often, less is more...

QUOTE: And I'm sure that eventually the Mk III/ 2020 or '21 model Tracers will be similarly enhanced, yet retain much of the original DNA.

Given that I haven't even seen a GT yet this question is perhaps a bit early, but.... Yamaha seems to have addressed issues with screen, seat, suspension on the new models.   How satisfactorily time will tell, but it's a step in the right direction.

So, with the next, or Mk III iterations, what remains to be done?   I'd plump for belt-drive instead of chain (and instead of shaft: too heavy, too costly): hydraulic clutch: and adjustable-span clutch lever (matching the front brake lever).

If delivered, this would bring Tracers up to a nearly perfect sport-tourer, IMHO.

Archived