My impressions at 1,500 miles of use

• Premium Member
I talked to the parts dept at my dealer today.  The FJ09 and Tracer seat have different part numbers, they look very similar in the parts diagram except for the notch in the rear of the Tracer seat, but appearances in a diagram is not reliable.  One ray of hope is that the H pattern plastic tray used to set the hi and lo position of the seat is the same for the FJ and the Tracer, the same part number.  So if the position of the tongue in the front and the latch in the back are the same, the FJ seat would mount on the Tracer.

So who has a friend with an FJ that can go try and swap seats?  If OK, FJ aftermarket seats would fit the Tracer.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
BVEBRAD,

My Tracer does not wobble.

I have had experience with wobble on other bikes, that develops after the miles pile up but was not present when new.  In every case, the issue was a worn out front tire with cupping.  In every case.  Not just me, but others, too.

Does it wobble only when you hold the handlebars very lightly?  Or release them completely?

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I believe someone on here bought a Sargent seat listed as 2015+ for the tracer and it didn't fit. I recall seeing that post few weeks ago. I contacted Sargent as well and was told it's a no go so I'm thinking we are out of luck with fj seats on the tracer.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

My tires are not cupped, that was the first thing I checked.  I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with my grip on the bars since the bike never wobbled before.  It comes on after 90 mph and it can get violent enough for me to seldom ride that fast anymore.  It happens during rapid acceleration or during a top gear roll on.  I believe it has to do with the aerodynamics of the bike especially since I put the Shad 36's on.  I use the bags constantly so I just keep the speed at sane levels nowadays.  If anyone ever gets a Tracer GT in here on the eastern shore I will probably be getting a new one anyway.  Glad to hear it's not a problem for you.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

I read something on FJ vs Tracer 900 seat compatability also. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I read they will latch down but nothing lines up with the side trim or tank when swapped. I'm sure aftermarket will come around in time for the Tracer 900's. The FJ-09 and original 15-17 Tracer took awhile for aftermarket to make em but I still feel custom is the way to go if you can with semi custom the next best choice.

Seat manufacturing companies that I considered and I suspect will make 19 Tracer 900 seats and covers:

Bagster, UK (semi custom with color choices, with seat pan, might be able to use yours, embroidery, foam, gel inserts, heat, material, height choices). 

Corbin, USA (semi custom with material and color choices, welt color and stitching choices, comes with seat pan, heat, but I think they only use one foam and its too hard for some).

Sargent, USA (semi custom with material choice, welt color choice, welt or no welt choice, heat, comes with seat pan).

Seat Concepts, USA (foam and cover kit only with carbon fiber or non slip material choice, no color choices, no foam or heat choices).

Top Sellerie, France (semi custom with lots of material choices of which you can get samples, welt choices, stitching choices, with seat pan or use your pan, embroidery, gel inserts, heat, plus input as to your weight and height. Best to not get the rear hump on the front seat IMO. Only leaves you with 10" of usable space. @ 5'7", I need 13" to keep from getting cramped. The long version works best). 

Yamaha (comfort and probably a low version. No changes).

I think these aftermarket companies are about all that make seats for the early models. Then Tappezzeria and MotoK make covers only I believe.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

So, several of my previous sportbikes developed this phenomenon and as soon as I put new tires on, the problem went away. Then I started messing with the suspension and realized if the back end squats too much under acceleration, the front end becomes very light and the wobble kicked in although not to the degree of the FJ. So with a worn back tire and extra weight on the back, the front end becomes very light, causing less contact between the front tire and the ground. I believe the bikes geometry is a major contributor to this phenomenon as well. I did drop my front end down 10mm through the triple clamp which helped reduce the head shake under acceleration, even full throttle. At triple digits, it still can be touchy, but I am nowhere near as nervous as before. Right now my front tire is cupped from my over aggressive braking habits but I do not get the wobble. I did stiffen up my rear suspension as well when I dropped the front end and for the most part, higher mph is no problem, other than that big sail of a windscreen I put on.

I just looked at my mileage and right now I have 11,000 on the front tire and it still does not wobble even when significantly cupped. See my youtube posting for proof
skip to time index 1:25 for the shorter version 

Based on this post I think I'll try stiffing up my rear suspendion a click or two.  The wooble seems related to my panniers which did add more weight to the back of the bike.  I'll post a follow up to let people know if this helps me out.  Thanks folks!
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Based on this post I think I'll try stiffing up my rear suspendion a click or two.  The wooble seems related to my panniers which did add more weight to the back of the bike.  I'll post a follow up to let people know if this helps me out.  Thanks folks!

Also: set tire pressures, drop the forks 5-10mm in the front triple clamps, and steering bearing torque.

-Skip

• Premium Member
...Additionally I'd think you could raise the front while keeping the rear the same and still use the stock latch. Would that work other than making the seating position higher?...
Yea I tried this. 
I left the plastic tray in the low position.  I then created two wood blocks to sit on the plastic tray that would match the front height of the tray in the high position.  So now the the seat is basically resting in the high position in front and the low position in the rear.  The problem here is that when the seat is in the high position using the plastic tray, it is moved forward as well.  But with the seat latching in the low position, it's still seating rear ward.  It works but there is about a inch gap between the seat and the tank.  Plus the front plastic dongle is not firmly inserted into the metal housing.

It doesn't work.

I spent about a six pack trying different possibilities. 

I tired this exactly and got the same results as you, it doesn't work very well.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
This past Friday (October 5) National Cycle added three new windscreens in their V-Stream line for the 2019 Tracer and Tracer GT. Check them out.
I just checked their website and they don't list the Tracer as a bike they have screens for.  They show the FJ09, yes, but no Tracer.  Are the screens interchangeable between the FJ09 and the Tracer 900?

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 1 month later...
2000 miles on my GT now and I'm very happy with it. The performance from the engine (Mode A) and transmission is superb, the suspension is better than any bike I've had before (mostly cruisers), the luggage is adequate. I am still working on trying to improve the comfort although a quick 400 mile ride through Arizona mountains yesterday was enjoyable except for some wrist pain.
I have already levelled the seat, similar to suggestions here but I put the plastic tray in the high position, removed the rubber pads from the rear of the seat, and locked the latch in the low position. This leaves a gap between the tank and seat but I find it very comfortable. I added Grab On grip wraps and ordered a California Scientific touring screen to reduce the wind noise.
As far as the wrist pain is concerned, I am considering bar risers, just not sure how much I can raise them without longer cables and wires. I'm 63 and 6'0".
My 'fuel consumed' and mpg indicated are hopelessly inaccurate. It shows 66 mpg but i've never yet got over 50 calculated, and when it says 2.8 consumed it takes on 3.9 gal.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

• Supporting Member
a quick 400 mile ride through Arizona mountains yesterday was enjoyable except for some wrist pain. 
As far as the wrist pain is concerned, I am considering bar risers, just not sure how much I can raise them without longer cables and wires. I'm 63 and 6'0".

Instead of adding bar risers to make the bar taller have you thought of different bars with a more comfortable bend? I don’t like my bars to be wide and straight, usually get narrower bars with more pull back to give my wrists a more natural bend, I also angle my levers downward a bit, inline with my arms, so my wrists aren’t unnaturally bent. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived