Auto oilers? Anyone use them?

On 1/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, Rogue Rider said:

Just out of interest..... what size P Clip did you need for the rear subframe?

I purchased a 1" Rubber-Insulated Clamp from our local Menard's (house/hardware store).  It cost less than $2 and fits tight on the frame with slight modifications.

Clamp.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2022 at 4:36 AM, dazzler24 said:

I know this thread is a little long in the tooth (much like me) but I thought I'd add my two bobs worth in that I've been using a Nemo (knockoff) with my DID 525 chain and I have to say that it has been great.  If it wasn't, I'd happily say so.

The manufacturer of the chain says to use 80 weight gear oil as the recommended lubricant so that's what I use.

I keep an eye on the chain and give the Nemo an 1/8th turn (recommendation is a 1/4 turn) while out on a ride when it looks like it needs it.

Fling is minimal and definitely better than the 'premium' lubricant that I previously applied manually on the OEM chain.

The DID chain is really quite clean and I have no desire/need to attack it with harsh cleaners and/or brushes.

This has been my experience in riding conditions that are not harsh - i.e. dry riding conditions, no salt or crud etc so as always, YMMV.

I like the looks of this unit and its simplicity. I watched the 800GS video and at the end he showed the chain and rear sprocket after a weekend of off road riding. It didn't look like the o-rings between the side plates were getting any lubrication. What has been your experience after use ?

I've got about 8,000 miles on my ScottOIler, it generally does a good job but more recently seems to be not feeding as well.  On a long trip when I'm doing hundreds of miles a day it works well after.  Seems like sitting around then the shorter trips it does not work as well.  I did put the lighter "winter" oil in it and need to fiddle with it but in general I'm happy with it.  Seems like if the chain looks oily then it is too much and is flinging off everywhere.  Perfect is where it is getting a bit of fling and the chain is shiny and has a vey light film on it.  Real purpose is to lubricate o-rings and pins.

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I like the looks of this unit and its simplicity. I watched the 800GS video and at the end he showed the chain and rear sprocket after a weekend of off road riding. It didn't look like the o-rings between the side plates were getting any lubrication. What has been your experience after use ?

I've got my feeder setup as a single feed - in other words on one side only - but this doesn't seem to present a problem as the oil finds its way across the rollers and lubes the whole chain anyway.

Some people have a dual feed setup but I'm not sure it's worth the extra trouble IMHO, but it's an option if you're concerned.

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I've got my feeder setup as a single feed - in other words on one side only - but this doesn't seem to present a problem as the oil finds its way across the rollers and lubes the whole chain anyway.

Some people have a dual feed setup but I'm not sure it's worth the extra trouble IMHO, but it's an option if you're concerned.

Thanks for the feedback !

• Thumbsup 1

I always did the single feed with the Tuturo system I had on my V-Strom, that is a wonderful system and works very well. Can get a bit messy which I never cared about on my Strom, but just decided to go back to more traditional chain lubes on the GT. I am experimenting with something different lube type however, I will let y'all know how it goes if a success. 

• Supporting Member
On 3/25/2022 at 6:35 PM, dazzler24 said:

On 3/25/2022 at 10:04 PM, Cogswell said:

Thanks for the feedback !

And for some photographic proof, here's a close up of my (slightly dirty) chain.  As you can see the oil manages to distribute itself.

I use 80 weight gear oil per the manufacturers recommendation.

20220326_141023.thumb.jpg.337af2981818c1277bd557d2510f1ced.jpg

There's a tiny bit of fling but not enough to be concerned about IMHO.

20220326_141049.thumb.jpg.1a6710f7f7acd8744b2697cbbe61bbb4.jpg

• Thumbsup 1