Auto oilers? Anyone use them?

I've been reading up on these. My old Concours was a shaft drive, so no issues with the chain! HA!.  Sure I oil it often, but it would be nice to set it and forget it just to add lube every 1k or so.  Your thoughts?

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
Something to be said for spending a few minutes every 500 or so miles lubing your chain. Can't tell you how many times I have noticed things that needed to be tightened, fixed, or repaired while doing that one piece of maintenance. And it only takes a few minutes.

Shaft drives are much easier, had one on an old Honda years ago. I know nothing about auto oilers, I'll let others weigh in on that......

I've a Scottoiler Vsystem. It works ok, just get used to always having oil specks flung all over the rear section. Im using ATF in it right now, its a light weight oil that flings off easy. I may try gear oil next batch. I still hit the chain up with Motul chain paste once in a while
  • Thumbsup 1

Yes and it's working perfectly for me.

20180814_202709.jpg20180803_172349.jpg20180803_172313.jpg20180803_164325.jpg20180803_154007.jpg
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

I have a Tutoro system on my FJ09 (it came off my V-Strom). I have almost 23,000 miles on the original chain and it still looks very good. I'm guessing the oiler will double the life of the chain and sprockets. As Dark&Stormy mentioned it's messy. ATF is NOT the right stuff. In the old days, I lubed the chain almost everyday of riding so around every 250 miles. With the oiler the chain is cleaner and smoother but other stuff is messier.
john

I have a Tutoro system on my FJ09 (it came off my V-Strom). I have almost 23,000 miles on the original chain and it still looks very good. I'm guessing the oiler will double the life of the chain and sprockets. As Dark&Stormy mentioned it's messy. ATF is NOT the right stuff. In the old days, I lubed the chain almost everyday of riding so around every 250 miles. With the oiler the chain is cleaner and smoother but other stuff is messier. john
John, Ive long since ran out of the blue scottoiler oil. What would you recommend as a replacement?

• Supporting Member
Something to be said for spending a few minutes every 500 or so miles lubing your chain. Can't tell you how many times I have noticed things that needed to be tightened, fixed, or repaired while doing that one piece of maintenance. And it only takes a few minutes.  
Shaft drives are much easier, had one on an old Honda years ago. I know nothing about auto oilers, I'll let others weigh in on that......
 You hit the nail on the head, David. You would be amazed at how many riders don't even check the air in the tires nowadays. I see this a lot at the bike shop my friend owns. Bikes coming in for state inspections with 10psi in the tires, He asks them when the last time they checked the tire pressure. Replay last time you inspected it! 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Dark&Stormy: Currently I'm running 80/90 hypoid I bought from Walmart. A quart lasts a really long time, well over 10,000 miles. It's sensitive to ambient temperature, so when it's hot I turn it down and in the winter I turn it up. Anything thicker just doesn't flow well. Before I got the oiler, I used conventional chain lubes and got better than average chain life. The oiler probably doubled the chain and sprocket life. It's worth the mess.

john

I have had the Scottoiler E system for about 2 years on my 2015 FJ. It has worked very well and the chain is always clean.  I get very little oil fling. The customer service (in Scotland) is outstanding. 
When my bike was transported because of a dead battery, the distribution tube was displaced.  I expected to pay for new attachment pieces, but customer service sent me the new pieces free of charge.I highly recommend the product.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I agree that getting your face into the bike is an important aspect of riding. And yes I agree there are too many riders who just don't either care and/or they are clueless. I ride everyday. Put over 168,000 miles (all mine) on my old 2001 Concours. Just over 6200 miles on the 2016 FJ09 purchased in late February last year as a 2 year old "new" bike. I ride in the rain all winter long and just want to take better care of the chain and sprockets. This is why the inquiry. I wrench all my own equipment, including spooning my own tires, so I'm not lazy, actually attempting to be more proactive.

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I'm also found of Scottoiler...

I bought vacuum one 18 years ago and transfer it on each bike I had since.

I've just bought yesterday a Tracer 900 GT and I'm looking for a good way to place the dual injector.

krucymucy : your system seems to be very efficient, using threaded hole already existing on the swing arm which has a very special shape without any plane surface.

Are you happy with this system ?

What is the thickness of the metalic part ?

Do you add any sticking device under the swing arm to have a better adherence of the metallic part with the swing arm ?

I think I wil try to do the same support, a drawing with mesurments of yours should be very appreciated.

Thanks

Denis

Edited by Denideul

• 3 months later...

I'm ordering a Tutoro this week.  Really looking forward to less hassle.  Riding as I do in winter, having to clean your chain basically every day because of salt and road grime is an enormous pain in the ass.  And the Tutoro is IMHO a better choice than say a Scottoiler as it doesn't need to tap into the bike's electrical or vacuum system.  

• 9 months later...

@krucymucy that is an awesome write up on the Tutoro inparticular the installation...well done and thank you!! Like your fabrication of the supporting brackets (very clever) as the additional swingarm mounting kit Tutoro have available does not suit the Tracer.....wish I was able to do that (fabricate).

I installed my Tutoro in Jan 2018 with the dual head feeder which has since worn out. I found the adhesive used on the feelers disintegrates over times and ends up moving around and was damaged. Despite applying an alternative adhesive it didn't last terribly long and I have resorted to using the Single feed nozzle, which I have totally re-jigged the fitting using the canister fitting brackets attached using the inside swingarm plate bolt holes also.

It is unfortunate that Tutoro do not provide the dual feeder as a replacement part (that I could find) and you require to purchase an entire kit again.

I ran out of the Tutoro oil a while ago, although I must say it did last me until earlier this year (here in Australia it is warmer and hence the dial is almost turned off to get the correct flow rate). I am now using a Hypoid 80/90 (think the brand in Redline) and find it quite suitable (once I reset the flow rate). In winter I increase the flow rate slightly.

Still have the Loobman head feeders which I might try and adapt like @2and3cylinders did in his thread.

Happy riding everyone

Edited by kimmie

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

21 hours ago, kimmie said:

@krucymucy that is an awesome write up on the Tutoro inparticular the installation...well done and thank you!! Like your fabrication of the supporting brackets (very clever) as the additional swingarm mounting kit Tutoro have available does not suit the Tracer.....wish I was able to do that (fabricate).

I can share dxf file and 3D model if you want. I've sent this to a guy who operates laser cutting machine and he made it basically from "left overs".

Edited by krucymucy

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current