High pitched buzz from electrics when engine is off

bugie

I was wondering if any other GT owners noticed this.

When I turn the key to the ignition on position without actually starting the engine there is a constant high pitch noise after the dash comes on and the electrics are checked (all I can describe it as is an electric constant buzz). It's only apparent when parked in a garage as the surroundings are quiet. The dealer brushed it off as normal but would like to get a 2nd opinion. I tried recording it but it isn't very audible on the phone.

Regards,

Chris

• Premium Member
My 2015 makes a buzzing sound for about 3 seconds after turning on the ignition. I am pretty sure that is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system. However, you said "constant high pitch noise". The pump should stop after a few seconds until you start it up and then the engine noise will exceed the pump noise, unless the GT does it differently.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

its either the fuel pump running(usually due to operator turning a bike off that was running via the key rather than use the red thumb kill switch then turn key off) or the ABS doing its "diagnosis check"
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

To be clear I am not talking about the 3-4secs of electrical checks immediately after turning the key to the ignition on position, but, rather a buzzing sound after the electrical checks have finished. You should be able to make it out on the video below but you may need to listen to it with the volume cranked right up. You can hear the sound I am referring to start around the 7second mark (after the initial engine electrical checks stop). Thanks for any insight you can provide  :)

[video src=https://youtu.be/r232eKACvpA]

I just checked this on my 2019 GT900 Tracer and I didn't hear anything after the initial 3-4 second startup noise. I always start/stop the bike with the key.
I only hear the buzzing noise in a quiet garage as on the street the surrounding noise drowns it out. In the video I posted you should be able to hear the sound from the 7seconds mark up until the end of the video. 

I tried this in my garage with no other noise. My hearing is not what it used to be but I couldn't hear anything after the first 3-4 seconds.
If you had it i'm sure you would have heard it as for me it is audible from about just short of 1m away from the bike.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I’ve just fitted a tail tidy and all the usual wiring woes so lots of ignition on with no engine moments - I have the same noise on mine ( 6 months old ) and interestingly louder with the right hand front panel removed ( where the fuse box is ) so I dont think you have anything to worry about 👍

I fitted the R & G one because the Evotech only works with the soft luggage bags and the Yamaha one needs an extension to ensure the indicators clear the boxes which to me  misses the point. The R&G one is a bit pricey but is well made and allows me to use the cases - I will try to put some pics on but they seem too big at the moment.

Archived