MODERATED: Weak joke post.

• Premium Member
First of all: what a fabulous ride! I'd like to know the routes that you rode.

Regarding laying down the bike: I've been taught that tires and brake pads have a lot more friction than do footpegs, handlebar grips, and turn signals. Therefore, you are safer to brake than to lay it down. Regardless of that, I am glad that you weren't hurt. The bike can be fixed quicker and cheaper than your body.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
Ummmmm, no! If the bike was able to slide down the road and stop short of the tree, you EASILY could have brought it to a stop well before the tree if you'd simply stayed calm and kept it upright. Kinetic friction of metal and plastic vs. Static friction of tires. Glad you came away relatively unscathed, but you made a bad, inexperienced decision.

That being said, stay off the front brake! It's a widow maker!!  (rofl)
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Yo Dudes!  This is Gregorius.  The OP. 
I feel bad.  Part of this post was a joke.  I didn't actually "lay er down".

Dumb-ass.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The battle cry of the inexperienced "I had to lay er down"

A group of us all swapped bikes one day back in the military, I ended up on someones poorly kept ZX6. At the first major intersection, I out-braked the owner of the POS I was on, him on someone's Katana. He asked me if I had adjusted anything because it never stopped that good for him. "Used the front brake," I said.

Met Lee Parks at the IMS (International Motorcycle Show) having already read his book many times over. Check out the other Guru Mr. Kieth Code. Both will really make you analyze and improve your riding.

51ye_LHWfi_L._AC_US218.jpg

9780760314036_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Thanks dedsxy47

I deleted the post, because people were getting butt hurt over the "lay er down" joke part.

I did really want to initiate some discussion on this, as we did encounter a dead tree over the road,
and the brakes worked very well!

I do hear riders sometimes say "I had to lay er down.".

I can't imagine ever abandoning your machine.  Maybe, I suppose, if you were headed towards
the ass end of a semi trailer, and figured going under it was a viable option.  Even then, my reflex
is to always rely on my machine to take me out of harms way.  Usually, emergency brake, and steer
into the clear.

Thanks dedsxy47 
I deleted the post, because people were getting butt hurt over the "lay er down" joke part.

I did really want to initiate some discussion on this, as we did encounter a dead tree over the road,
and the brakes worked very well!

I do hear riders sometimes say "I had to lay er down.".

I can't imagine ever abandoning your machine.  Maybe, I suppose, if you were headed towards
the ass end of a semi trailer, and figured going under it was a viable option.  Even then, my reflex
is to always rely on my machine to take me out of harms way.  Usually, emergency brake, and steer
into the clear.
Oh, this is a sore subject everywhere with cocky bikers or people who are sensitive about their skill level.  People believe their riding abilities far exceed what they are able to do in real life.  Of course, there are always excuses why they could not pull off the miracle save like in the Youtube videos.  I will be 49 in a month and have ridden on the road for the last 29 years, also spending 15 of those as a Motorcycle Safety Instructor.  You could imagine the stories people brought to the class how they had to ditch a bike to save their life.  As instructors, we know better and instead of criticizing, offer solutions which the students evolve into over the weekend, like how to use the front brake properly.  Unfortunately, I have heard so many stories like this where the rider believed they did nothing wrong, only to discover it was all rider error that caused damage to their bike and or themselves.  Another young man in the military totaled a brand new ZX-7R only a week old in a tighter corner.  Told everyone he was maxed out in lean angle and no one could have made it through.  I and two others took the same corner 20 mph faster than he said he was going and there was a bit of room to spare.  Again, even a stock RF600r with an advanced rider can ride safer and faster than someone with far superior machinery and sub-standard skills, oh and a big ego.  Of course, he was pissed, but it again proved a point, ride smarter, not faster. 
I myself had the opportunity to be humbled quite significantly when participating in the ZARS advanced riding school when I owned my Ducati 1098.  Some 240lb guy on a SV 650 track bike which needed serious attention, lapped me like I was on a moped.  Absolutely the biggest reality check I have experienced in a long time, but a good one though.  You may be fast on the street, but that track is a great equalizer when it actually comes down to your mental awareness and riding ability.  

It is ok to ride and enjoy and not be Ricky racer everywhere you go.  I think the FJ is a decent bike for experienced riders in that you can hustle fairly well through the corners, but are limited in straight line speeds, just in case you cannot control that right wrist.  

Honestly, if I go down, under the right circumstances such as a low side, I am holding on as long as I can so I do not end up flipping or cartwheeling like the guys in MotoGp.  

I did appreciate the commentary with a bit a joking around in the thread.  Perhaps it has struck a nerve in some and a bit of self-reflection is good now and again. 

-Chris

Thanks Chris.

I fully agree with your statement.

I'm 52, and have only been riding street for 3 years.  It's been a very busy three years ( over 30K miles on the odo ), and I've learned
a tremendous amount.

One of the most important things I've learned is, the capability of my bike far exceeds my riding skills.  My skills are steadily improving,
but I'm not even close to the point where a bike that is faster, and more powerful, than my FJ is needed.  And, certainly wouldn't be
fully utilized.

I've had a couple pucker moments, where I've run wide on a corner.  I knew that if I'd had the skill to lean the bike over further, and
trace a line through the corner, I would not have run wide.

Also, I've had a couple incidences, where I needed to bear down hard on the brakes.  In each case, I was able to stop, with room
to spare, and go on unscathed, with only a change of underwear needed.

In the case of this recent 7-day ride, when I rounded the corner and spotted the tree on the road, I executed a perfect stop, fully
relying on the bike's braking system to save the day.  Sure enough, it did.  As well as, for the three riders behind me.  We all just
motored on, and finished up a great day of riding.

Yup.  If someone tells me "I had to lay er down!", I'm going to have a raised eyebrow.

G

Archived