600 Mile Service Cost?

• Supporting Member
I agree with @acesand8s, DIY and not only save a ton of money, but you learn the workings of your bike. There should be videos available for almost anything you could need to do to your bike.

Remember, labor charges (not just motorcycle dealers) are $100/hour on average.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hi All, 
I just called my closest Yamaha dealer to schedule the first service on my FJ-09 (600 mile) and they said it will be $448!!! Is that typical? Thanks!
My first bike was a 1991 Yamaha FZR600.  I took it to the dealer for the first service and asked price and what it all entailed.  The shop manager rambled on a list of things at the time I definitely would not have wanted to tackle.  So I brought a lunch and sat at the mechanic's picnic table outside the maintenance bay watching them change oil after the bike sat for over an hour.  Then it was pushed in the corner for the next 2 hours.  I eventually wandered in and asked if my bike was done, he said he would check.  "Yup, all done, $350.00."  So with a counter full of customers, my 20-year-old self-proceeded to tell the manager how I had witnessed the entire maintenance process from their lunch table and at no time did the mechanic perform anything other than a basic oil change and all work was completed in less than 20 minutes.  The manager was irate and initially said I would have to pay for the whole thing or not get my bike back.  I said, "no problem, I will let base legal (USAF judicial unit) know and they would most likely blacklist them for fraudulent practices against military personnel.  I walked out paying for an oil change and a half hour labor, something like 70 bucks.  The manager even had the mechanic come up and try to lie to my face saying he did everything. I am like "dude, you never even took the fairings off, and how could you do the entire checklist in 20 minutes?"  Since then, I have not trusted ANY mechanic ANYWHERE for bike or car service.   
Consequently, that is how my Ducati 1098 was ruined, 3rd valve service at 33k miles.  "Here is your $1400.00 bill and oh, by the way, your bike does not run very well anymore."  phuckers.

Definitely do that first service yourself. Buy a filter wrench, totally worth it. The only thing I do at a dealership is to have new tires dynamically balanced. I mount and static balance them myself, and then take the rim and tire to the dealership to be dynamically balanced. That's it. Everything else, in my garage. Easiest maintenance work I've ever done.

What’s the shop labor rate?
Seems high to me. Ask them to detail out what they are doing for that amt of money, (you want the specific items serviced), ask if the tech fills out any paperwork that verifies what he did. Ask if that includes parts and what they are. 3 qts of syn oil, filter, and crush washer are anywhere from 50-75$ at dealership prices.

If they aren’t even taking the tank off and performing the recommended throttle body sync for that charge, then it’s not well priced. If the service writer fumbles and says: same as all the other 600 mile services, that’s also an indicator he doesn’t know what’s up.

Reasonable 600 mile service charge at dealer rates would be $150-$350 parts included at 99 p/hour. Depending on items they actually look at and service.

-Skip

Hi All, 
I just called my closest Yamaha dealer to schedule the first service on my FJ-09 (600 mile) and they said it will be $448!!! Is that typical? Thanks!
I would suggest you're absolutely being taken to the cleaners.  I live in Sweden which is not what you'd call one of the cheapest countries in the world and my first service only cost SEK1716 which is around $200 at the current rate of exchange.  If you look in the handbook the first service is also the most basic of all the services listed.  All they do is change the oil and filter, check the throttle body sync (if they even bother with that) and a few visual checks of lights, switches and fluids etc. 
I'd get a quote from somebody else if I were you.

CS

• Premium Member
The 600 mile Service should include the following, per the Yamaha manual:

1) Adjust Fuel Injection Synchronization
2) Adjust Clutch operation, and adjust or replace cable
3) Front and Rear Brake - Check operation, fluid level, and for fluid leakage, and replace pads if necessary
4) Steering Bearings - Check bearing assemblies for looseness
5) Side stand switch - check operation and replace if necessary
6) Replace Engine oil and oil filter
7) Check operation of front and rear brake switches
8) Lube control cables
9) Lights, signals, and switches - Check Operation and adjust headlight beam

These are all things that anyone with a little patience and a manual can perform on their own, with the possible exception of the Fuel injection Synchronization. That does require taking the gas tank off and exploring all the parts under the tank. It isn't hard, but does take some time, and you will need to have/purchase the tool to measure.

For a competent mechanic at dealership, this should be about 1 hour's worth of work, max. Might take me 2-3 hours, since I don't do the throttle body sync all the time.

• Supporting Member
Buy the factory shop manual and the oil and filter and do it yourself. I really doubt the stealership is doing the throttle body sync, but I bet they are charging you for it.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
Buy the factory shop manual and the oil and filter and do it yourself. I really doubt the stealership is doing the throttle body sync, but I bet they are charging you for it.
You are correct roadrash83, I remember many posts from 2015 where folks were reporting that the dealers weren't even bothering with the synch.

Archived