Fuel Gauge Accuracy

I am surprised that no one mentions how helpful the special reserve fuel display screen is when it comes to calculating mileage. It pops up when running on reserve and counts the mileage one has traveled since. I can go 40 km+ (at a normal pace) before running out of fuel.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I prefer milege to empty instead.
+1 ;)
I agree and would much prefer a mileage/KM's to empty at the current riding conditions. For a sports tourer I find it strange that it counts mileage/KM's travelled since the reserve light goes on. There are so many variables that can vary the distance you can travel on reserve. Distance to empty would be great - Yamaha over to you. 

• Premium Member
+1 ;)
I agree and would much prefer a mileage/KM's to empty at the current riding conditions. For a sports tourer I find it strange that it counts mileage/KM's travelled since the reserve light goes on. There are so many variables that can vary the distance you can travel on reserve. Distance to empty would be great - Yamaha over to you. 

I you re-read your last sentence you have pretty much summed up why a miles/km to empty is unrealistic - I have one in my car. It is useless, making a very poor guesstimate. You need a crystal ball to tell whether you will ride the next 40 miles at a fuel efficient constant speed downhill or racing up a mountain pass in 2nd & 3rd at high revs.

I prefer the current "you have done x miles since we told you to fill up" system which leaves it for me to make a decision as a free thinking adult when to stop for fuel.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
Mileage-since-reserve is easy to calculate and doesn't fluctuate.

Mileage-to-empty would have to be continually recalculated based on how hard or gentle you rode, how much you tilted the bike, etc. If they over-estimated and people ran out of gas with mileage-to-empty at 5 miles, they'd get sued. If they under-estimated, they'd have people complaining about the same thing they do now -- not being able to trust the fuel gauge.

• Premium Member
I rode 180 miles on sunday and when the low fuel light flashed on (0.69 gallons left according to Yamaha) I was still 15 miles from home. So I pulled in for gas and bought 2.1 gallons. Started the bike and the gas gage was pegged at full and stayed that way until I got home. So now, I think of it as my 'half tank' gas gage.

While far from perfect it is a step up from every other bike I have had - which didn't have one.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
While far from perfect it is a step up from every other bike I have had - which didn't have one.
I'm kind of wondering how long it'll take for me to internalize that there is a gauge to check.  I too have never had one before. 
A week or so ago I was taking a ride to lunch and looked down to check the temperature and instead it was showing "TRIP-F 3.2".  Huh?  Oh, right, low fuel.  Look at that, the fuel gauge is blinking at me....

When I got the bike I thought the "TRIP-F" display was perhaps useful but kind of gimmicky, but after that I am a big fan. I do tend to zone out and not notice fuel level for awhile, or if I'm commuting I might not bother to check it at all for days, and TRIP-F is a really great way of letting me know how screwed I am. Plus it's a better "low fuel" indicator than the actual blinky "low fuel indicator"; a blinking LCD just doesn't get my attention like having half of the dashboard change display or, on other bikes, a bright yellow warning light.

The funny gapping of the fuel gauge drives a lot of people nuts, and honestly I have to wonder what prompted that design -- probably just the cost of the sensor -- but I for one am far more interested in accuracy when it's getting low than when it's mostly full so if they were going to skimp, they did it in the right way.  From long habit I use the odometer too, and with the FJ's fuel range my bladder needs emptying before the fuel tank is empty, so I pretty much have a cornucopia of fuel level indicators.

It works, just have to get used to it.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Just finished a 1200 mile trip. Fuel economy readout was 2% to 10% optimistic and usually ~ 4% - 5% optimistic, tracked by tank.

My gas gauge was pretty consistent. I got ~ 45 mpg for most of the trip (tracked by the tank). Given that:

First bar = ~ 115 miles or 2.5 gallons
Second bar = ~ 10 miles or 0.25 gallons
3rd bar + 4th bar = ~ 1 gallon together

I fill up with ~ 3.7 gallons when I hit the last bar, meaning that that last bar is about 1.1 gallons. The "reserve" started blinking ~ 20 miles after I hit the last bar, meaning that the reserve comes on with ~ 0.7 gallons remaining, which matches what fanowater writes above.

It's a f***ed up progression, but it was actually pretty consistent over 1200 miles.

Plus it's a better "low fuel" indicator than the actual blinky "low fuel indicator"; a blinking LCD just doesn't get my attention like having half of the dashboard change display or, on other bikes, a bright yellow warning light

My last Yamaha had a BRIGHT YELLOW light that came on at reserve. It was visible during the day and distracting at night.

• 1 month later...
The other day I managed to fill up right as the reserve started blinking, it took 4 gallons topped up (where gas was sloshing on the bottom of the baffle). With .8 gallons left and getting 44mpg you'll run dry in just over 35 miles. I'd say 10-15 miles is safe to ride in reserve, but I'd look for a gas station as soon as I hit it.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm finding the low fuel warning somewhat confusing. I've only had the bike for two refills and both times I was only able to put in 12-13L, implying the fuel warning is kicking in while I have a good 5-6L remaining.

Alternatively, my average fuel consumption on my last tank was 4.6L/100km meaning if I used the 15.4L available before the warning kicks in (manual says this occurs at 2.6L remaining), I should have ridden 335km before the warning. Instead I had the warning kick in at 225km.

All I can gather from this is that the fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate and the low fuel warning kicks in with approximately 1/3 of a tank remaining.
//QED

Archived