Best heated gear

rtaylor522

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
I use OEM heated grips and Tourmaster Heated Vest

The vest gets quite hot with 5 heat settings, even with temperatures just above freezing, I rarely ever set it higher than #1.

I just got home from a 2-day road trip into Central Oregon, high desert, very cold in the mornings.  I left the hotel at 7:30am and the air temperature was 33 degrees... I was VERY thankful for the heated grips and vest.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

OEM heated grips, First Gear brand heated jacket and pants... I can swap the "control" box between my 2 bikes via pigtail connections that are wired to the battery... the trick with heated gear is to wear it as the very 1st layer of clothes after putting on yer underwear- this way the heat is noticeable vs trying to feel heat thru 2-3layers of clothes... same thing goes for heated grips- need thin palm material...

bulky material hinders heat transfer from the source which in turn requires higher temp settings to feel the heat vs having the heat source as close to your skin as possible which requires lower temp settings to feel heat...

I wear full leathers by AGV- Willow Sport set and with my heated gear, regular leather farm gloves and hoodie I can ride for a few hours or more when temps are below 40° here in Michigan...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Not heated, but to keep my head and ears and nose and neck toasty when conditions warrant it - fortunately rarely - I would wear a silk (I stress silk, nothing else) balaclava.   With helmet off, I'm ready to rob a bank too!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Do yourself a favor and check out Warm N Safe gloves and jacket liners that plug into their industry leading Heat-Troller.

BTW, I'm prejudice because I'm one of their dealers and will give forum members a 12% off...

https://www.warmnsafe.com

BTW, their heated gloves have armor, a rare thing, and their sport heated gloves are now on sale $40 off!

• Premium Member

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies....my heated grips don't help the other side of my hand....guess I'm a sissy ?. I'm definitely looking for some heated gloves for commuting this winter.

Are you riding an FJ or GT?  I have an FJ and found that the oem hand guards did nothing for wind protection, they are way too far away from the hands and seem to funnel cold air right over the back of your hands.
I dont need or want hand guards with a metal back bone like on my dirtbike, so I use plastic shields from a Suzuki VStrom when its cold out, in nice weather I prefer air flow.
I was just on a roadtrip yesterday in Central Oregon, it was 33 degrees when I left the hotel, these shields blocked the wind very effectively.

DL-Handguard.jpg

• Premium Member
Another vote for Warm-n-Safe and I'm not a vendor! Been using their products for 10 years.

Spent the day today with my wife riding my ST1100 from Balsam, NC to Chillicothe, OH returning from a group event. Left Balsam with a temp of about 30 and zipped along I-40 and 75 at 80-85. High temp for the day was 55. We were warm and toasty for the duration.

I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase a DUAL Heat-Troller, because their jacket liners are wired with 2 circuits (liner and gloves) to allow you to run your gloves temp at a different temp than your liner. The circuits are hooked together from the factory and easily changed from single to dual controller, and there is even a pass through for pants/socks if desired. I use the wired controllers, but they also offer wireless controllers now too.

If you have multiple bikes, just wire up one of their coax connectors to each bike, then you can use the gear on each bike.

Warm-n-Safe has ALWAYS treated me right! Taken care of sizing problems without issue. Recently upgraded to newer generation liner and utilized their "upgrade" program.

Oh, and I *think* W-n-S actually makes First Gear and HD branded heated gear.

• Supporting Member
I'm pretty much decided on warm and safe, I just need to know how to take advantage if this 12% discount

Send @2and3cylinders a direct PM if you haven't already done so.

• Premium Member
+1 for Warm N Safe. Quality stuff, and yes their Heat Troller is excellent. My Troller is mounted on my handlebar and has been through two Oregon winters with no issues. It sits out in the rain all day while I'm at work.

Archived