Front wheel/stand questions

• Premium Member
I've owned the GT < 2 mos, have 1,800 miles, and loving the bike. But of course getting some questions thinking ahead to first tire change. I have front and rear stands from my prior bike (R1) to take off wheels. With the Tracer's center stand, can I use that and my front stand to lift bike or do I still need rear stand when using front? Don't want any unpleasant surprises first time I lift the front on this bike.

Also I noticed I have just 1 pinch bolt on front axle. Used to seeing 2 on each side on prior bike.

Is there an online shop manual to do this right?

Thanks,

Center stand + front stand is okay, at least it was for me with a triple tree stand.

Same here... center stand and triple tree stand.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Also quite doable with just a scissor jack under the exhaust header, or the cross-over pipe for better leverage to pivot the bike on the centre stand. I usually tweak the height so I can pull the axle and just roll the wheel out. Things align nicely and little to no lifting involved. YMMV.
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Also quite doable with just a scissor jack under the exhaust header, or the cross-over pipe for better leverage to pivot the bike on the centre stand. I usually tweak the height so I can pull the axle and just roll the wheel out. Things align nicely and little to no lifting involved. YMMV.

Works good for me also.

• Supporting Member
Thanks for responses. Just tried my Pitbull front fork lift and the rear wheel rests on the ground. At least it's steady.
Remove the rear wheel first, then when removing the front wheel you will have more than enough room to lift the front end. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Boy, caught this amidst a "whata-I-do?" moment.

I was curious just how high a Pitbull triple tree pin lift jack would raise the bike. 'Specially after seeing a video of Moss saying one HAD to have a rear stand if using a front stand:

1:23 timestamp.   

I have the Pitbull stand. Just did a bunch of work. Stand under the front, rear wheel off on centerstand the bike was stable. 

LOL give away my stands when I bought my last bike a BMW F800GT.  Several times I had both wheels off using just the center stand and a jack under the headers.  Not the most stable but leave it alone and it wont go anywhere.  On the Tracer GT did one wheel at a time using the center stand and for the front center stand plus a jack under the headers.  I had a Woodcraft ripple clamp stand.  It was OK but if space between the fender and the bottom triple was tight it could be difficult to get it in place plus the pin was a tight fit.  It was only beneficial when doing work on the forks.  For the Tracer GT will just use a jack under the headers.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Several times I had both wheels off using just the center stand and a jack under the headers.

For the Tracer GT will just use a jack under the headers.

That is the only method I have used, I have never had any issues, its plenty stable.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***