GT900 bars on FJ09?

sdb

• Supporting Member
https://fj-09.org/thread/7479/tracer-900-gt-handlebars

Handlebar bend is very subjective, what I like you may hate. Whenever I get a new bike, street or dirt, I always set-up the ergonomics first, handlebar, levers, seat etc. and then the suspension.
I dont think I have kept the stock bar on any bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I put them on.  Honestly, not a great improvement.  A little narrower than FJ bars with a very, very slight increase in pull-back.  If I had it to do all over again, I'd pass.  Not worth the effort.

Makes me wonder what contributed most to the way they felt when I sat on a GT.  Seating position must factor in because the bars alone don't do the trick.

The handlebar raisers on the '19 model allow the bar to be set in either of 2 positions. I am not sure if this is true for the pre 2019. Could it be that 1 setting is similar to the pre 2019 and the other notably different?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bugie said:

The handlebar raisers on the '19 model allow the bar to be set in either of 2 positions. I am not sure if this is true for the pre 2019. Could it be that 1 setting is similar to the pre 2019 and the other notably different?

Possible.  I didn't think of that.  Would be worth checking part numbers.

9 minutes ago, piotrek said:

How did you manage to save the grip heaters? I wanted to try a Renthal or Rizoma for a better sweep, but the thought of buying a new set of grip heaters... nah.

Another reason to avoid the swap.  There was no way to save the left grip.  Tried every way possible to get it off without damaging it.  Finally admitted defeat and zipped it off with the Dremel and a cut-off wheel.  The right grip had the advantage of being on the throttle tube, which was easily removed as a unit.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bugie said:

Checked part numbers.  The caps are the same, however, the risers for the FJ have an updated part number that matches the GT.  I suspect that the part number was updated as a result of the recall they had on the risers a couple of years ago.

I have a 15 with 1" rise and back, cables are OK , but you have to take off the brake line holder at the bottom triple clamp. I just put a 14mm hose holder on mine to keep it from moving too far.

Archived