Jump to content
dingophil

DIY seat: lessons learned

Recommended Posts

(1 of 2) For the past few weeks, I have been toiling away trying to rebuild or fix the standard driver seat, which we're all aware has issues. Mine are that the part your butt actually rests on is maybe 1/2 inch thick, allowing pressure points over time. The other is my inner thighs rubbing the outer portions of the seat cushion. So I set out to make a more comfortable seat, and having watched tons of YouTube videos, began my quest. It did not go well...

I purchased a few items to begin, trying to keep costs below $75 US:

- 3" x 3' x 3' high density foam, foam glue, marine-grade vinyl (ostrich!!), and a 1/4" x 2' x 2' square of memory foam. 

I first removed the staples around the under side of the seat, stopping only to wonder what I should do about the piece that locks the seat to the bike. Since there were staples tucked under it.

20190106_191714.thumb.jpg.ae7e9684839ad81348fe20d4be2659cb.jpg

I snapped the bolt. Must have been some loctite in there or something. No matter, I replaced it with a quick trip to home depot, and $2.07 later I had one 1/4 bolt, a locking nut and a washer.

Next, I traced the seat pan onto the foam leaving extra space at the edge and cut the foam with a bread knife, because I was too cheap to buy an electric knife. Mistake! It took forever and the edges were very ragged. Also, it's extremely imprecise, so fine-tuning your shape is nearly impossible.

20190106_202112.thumb.jpg.77c48c4a1b86ee4065885ad89304ed0b.jpg

Once cut, I glued the single layer onto the pan (above). Mistake! Don't glue anything to the pan unless you're 150% sure it won't need to come off. If you decide to use high density foam, do not use a single layer that goes from the rear to the front of the pan. Use one layer from the rear to the bottom of the "seat horn" (quasi-saddle term), then glue more layers to build up to the height of the front of the pan.

The thing looked awful but if I could make it comfortable, and cover it over, I don't really care.

So the single layer wasn't working out. I could feel every single groove in the seat pan through the foam. It was worse than before, was sitting me up higher, and forcing me farther forward!!!! 

I purchased a wire cutter for my drill, as I have no need other than this project for a rotary cutter of any sort. Mistake!! While I could use it to shape the foam, it was unwieldy (read: if you're not careful, you'll catch a finger), untidy, and imprecise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2/2

Wire cutter and aftermath:

20190111_182912.thumb.jpg.fe5510086c6128bcd2274c8cacfae2a8.jpg

20190111_185325.thumb.jpg.eed8210ddb497dae5ac521fdebe75b66.jpg

Horrible seat. I gave up. I cut the foam out of the pan, used the wire cutter to clean up, and went back to the drawing board.

20190126_143112.thumb.jpg.9578afb378819ccaf022de83156abc4c.jpg

Finally, I decided that I need professional help, lol. But I'm stubborn, so I glued the memory foam onto the factory injected foam and closed her back up!

20190126_184723.thumb.jpg.b298946575d20d6d5ede3a41741e4c31.jpg

There is definitely tiny bit more give and I'm glad for the memory foam. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd take the sore spots and save up for a proper after market seat.

Thanks for sticking till the end. I hope it was more enjoyable for you guys than "fixing" the seat was for me.

  • Thumbsup 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing your experiences @dingophil. They just reinforce to me why I didn’t attempt this. I gave mine to a local boat upholstery firm and they put a wide, deep gel section in for me, just where your sit-bones are. Unfortunately this had been one of my winter tasks and I haven’t had the chance to put any decent mileage on it yet.

  • Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

North-West 🇬🇧 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a coarse sanding disk is best for shaping the foam. Creates a right mess though so use all the safety gear and cover anything you don't want knee deep in foam dust.  I narrowed my FJR seat. After getting the shape right I covered the whole seat with a sheet of thin foam stuck down with spray on contact adhesive.

  • Thumbsup 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes thanks for the insight. I have been contemplating the same project. Definitely having second thoughts!

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I added a layer of 3/8" rebond foam. (Carpet pad) in between the seat pan and the original foam. The factory cover had plenty of stretch to go back over. Completely eliminated any complaints I had and you'd have to have a stock one sitting right beside it to really tell. It does sit you up a little higher but I've got long legs so it's not an issue for me.

 

Edit to add a picture.

1555382191_img_20190415_212433_mmthumb.j

Edited by nicksta43
  • Thumbsup 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes, no matter our intentions or efforts, things just don't work out!

I'm impressed that you tried this, and that you shared.  I have dabbled in upholstery myself and know how challenging it is.   

I lucked out and bought a slightly used Russell Day Long that is working pretty well for me. Not perfect, but so much better than stock.

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×