Official All encompassing Flasher LED thread!?

open1mind

I had started an earlier thread wherein this group gave some good insights about a strange fastener that holds the front side panel on... I will paste that link below.  As that thread evolved, we started to discuss swaps of LED flashers instead of stock, and I think that  a separate thread makes sense.

Here's why- like others I hate the big orange pumpkins that appear on US bikes.  So I did some research using the always reliable Youtube.

This good fellow does a lot of work on his FJR, and more recently his FZ 09.  I watched carefully, and decided to order the Yamaha accessory LEDs that he installs in the video.  I like the look and the position light + brake light functionality.  

Here is the link to the front ones, and the rears are seperate:

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Genuine Yamaha stylish indicators with unique integrated position light, a must have accessory for your Yamaha MT! NEW OEM YAMAHA BLINKERS LED PLUS FRONT. Unique design by GK...

So, the back ones went on my 2019 GT without any real pain.   The kit provides resistors which got the flash rate spot on, and the wiring and install were pretty routine.  Good progress.  I did not use/ need the adjustable flasher relay that he uses in the video- the resistors from Yamaha worked fine.  You cannot order them from US dealers, I had to connect to a UK dealer and their ebay store.

The front, well that is a different story...

First, the resistors when installed on the front dont get it done.  I removed the front side panel and tested the hookups before really mounting anything.  Good thing.  The resistors that come with the kit for the front make the front and back flash very rapidly.  OK, I said lets try this adjust able flasher from TST that the Youtube gentlemen suggested.  Perfect.  It came set up with just the right flash rate for me and all of the functionality is there. 

TSTINDUSTRIES.COM

Fix your bike's hyperflash or no flash problem with an easy to install, direct replacement, plug-and-play Gen2 LED Flasher Relay.

But wait... every story sounds good until the last chapter.  When I was re-assembling the side panel- there is an inner and outer section.  The threads/shaft that come on the Yamaha accessory front blinkers are long.  As in so long that you cannot actually put the panel back together and mount it on the bike.  Abort mission.  So, for now, I am going to running stock front blinkers with the Accessory rear ones.  At some point, I may get more ambitious and try a  different brand.  

My reason for the details is that someone else may see that video, and presume that his good luck with the FZ applies to the 900 GT.  No dice on the front blinkers.

Ride well...

Edited by open1mind

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, open1mind said:

But wait... every story sounds good until the last chapter.  When I was re-assembling the side panel- there is an inner and outer section.  The threads/shaft that come on the Yamaha accessory front blinkers are long.  As in so long that you cannot actually put the panel back together and mount it on the bike.  Abort mission.  So, for now, I am going to running stock front blinkers with the Accessory rear ones.  At some point, I may get more ambitious and try a  different brand.  

My reason for the details is that someone else may see that video, and presume that his good luck with the FZ applies to the 900 GT.  No dice on the front blinkers.

Ride well...

When you changed signals, did you use something like this ---> Turn Signal Adapter

I recently changed front signals using these adapters and there was plenty of room to mount everything.  Did you try using a shim or a few washers to pull the signal outward?  What is the measurement on the threads of the signals that you bought?

I'm just hoping to find a solution and save you from having to buy new ones.

**when I quoted your post, it wouldn't let me delete the comfort seat video.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, open1mind said:

I had started an earlier thread wherein this group gave some good insights about a strange fastener that holds the front side panel on... I will paste that link below.  As that thread evolved, we started to discuss swaps of LED flashers instead of stock, and I think that  a separate thread makes sense.

Here's why- like others I hate the big orange pumpkins that appear on US bikes.  So I did some research using the always reliable Youtube.

This good fellow does a lot of work on his FJR, and more recently his FZ 09.  I watched carefully, and decided to order the Yamaha accessory LEDs that he installs in the video.  I like the look and the position light + brake light functionality.  

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Genuine Yamaha stylish indicators with unique integrated position light, a must have accessory for your Yamaha MT! NEW OEM YAMAHA BLINKERS LED PLUS FRONT. Unique design by GK...

I had my eye on that set of LED flashers for some time, but the reported failure rate scared me off.  The video link above is for a Yamaha comfort seat, not the LED flasher install.

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

1 hour ago, betoney said:

When you changed signals, did you use something like this ---> Turn Signal Adapter

As @betoney said. The front indicators need to be mounted with the bulge of the adapter facing outwards. The indicator you got is a standard accessory for the Tracer GT in Europe so you must have mounted it incorrectly

Untitled.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

6 minutes ago, open1mind said:

So much for cut and paste... the correct vid.  I had an old link

Sorry about that

I have these indicators on my own GT. All the information i gave you relates to my installation of these however the part number is different to the one in the Ebay link you provided above as the indicator model is different (yme-h0789-00-10).

Blue_GT2.jpg

Edited by bugie
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I recently changed front signals using these adapters and there was plenty of room to mount everything.  Did you try using a shim or a few washers to pull the signal outward?  What is the measurement on the threads of the signals that you bought?

I'm just hoping to find a solution and save you from having to buy new ones.

**when I quoted your post, it wouldn't let me delete the comfort seat video.

Hmm.. might be worth try.  I also notice (from the correct video now inserted), that he uses the spacers that you describe in the opposite direction that I did. In other words, it looked like the spacer was supposed to fit into the recessed area of the side panel, not pushing outward.  Along with an extra grommet or spacer, that might be enough do it.  I will check tonight.

Good grief- I better stick to my day job.

2 minutes ago, bugie said:

I have these indicators on my own GT. All the information i gave you relates to my installation of these but the part number is different to the one you provided above. These also don't support day time running lights as they are 2 wire indicators

Blue_GT2.jpg

Those do look good.  My bike definitely has a 3 wire connector.  In fact, I was using this gadget

TSTINDUSTRIES.COM

Don't cut any wires! Use TST Industries Yamaha Wire Harness Converter and turn aftermarket signals into plug and play installations.

It works quite well,  other than you need to figure out which wire s/b white vs black etc.  At least it saves on some soldering time.

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, open1mind said:

Hmm.. might be worth try.  I also notice (from the correct video now inserted), that he uses the spacers that you describe in the opposite direction that I did. In other words, it looked like the spacer was supposed to fit into the recessed area of the side panel, not pushing outward.  Along with an extra grommet or spacer, that might be enough do it.  I will check tonight.

Good grief- I better stick to my day job.

I used the exact spacers that I linked to Amazon, it comes with a set of 4,  1 each on the inside and outside of the outer shroud.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you guys might like to see the finished product, so I tried to make some quick vids. After some coaching from other forum members, and only limited amounts of bloodshed and electrical arching, they are in!

Fully functional as brake lights, running lights, blinkers, and hazards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNXf4zHLIA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SDRzzfew8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wNSm_-h7rE

I have the Yamaha led indicators , just found a problem with them, I have them mounted to a tail tidy. Today I tried to put my panniers on but could get then on because the indicators stick out to far. So it's back to the drawing board to try and figure something out ?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Explorer said:

I have the Yamaha led indicators , just found a problem with them, I have them mounted to a tail tidy. Today I tried to put my panniers on but could get then on because the indicators stick out to far. So it's back to the drawing board to try and figure something out ?

@Explorer - If you want something smaller, strong and BRIGHT, check out the X-Arc Signals 

You can get them in either "turn and running" light or "turn, running and brake" light configurations.

They are machined from aluminum and VERY bright. 

X-Arc2.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, Explorer said:

Same problem here... you can get the panniers on, just bends the signal light up a bit. Evotech's website shows pics with the tail tidy, and panniers on with no issues. Also, the Yamaha LED signal lights are actually shorter than the stock signals, so that won't work either! I may just leave as is, as I don't use my panniers very often, unless there is a fix? I like the X-arc signals, but I would like them to match the front, which would mean replacing all 4 signal lights.