Auxiliary lights/ power access

TracerDoc

If you take the screen off, and the screen mount underneath, there are four spare terminals for you to plug accessories into. They are inside a wide, plastic, flexible tube. Just pull them and decide whether you are going to try and source the equivalent mating sockets, or just cut them off and put your own connectors on.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

4 hours ago, BBB said:

If you take the screen off, and the screen mount underneath, there are four spare terminals for you to plug accessories into. They are inside a wide, plastic, flexible tube. Just pull them and decide whether you are going to try and source the equivalent mating sockets, or just cut them off and put your own connectors on.

Awesome, thank you. Now for www search to see if any female / male socket to match. 

You don't really have to use the special connectors to wire-up using the plugs referred to: in my install I simply tapped into each of the two leads to each plug using a PosiTap device.   Easy to use and work perfectly.

Nor do you need to pay through the nose for your chosen lights.   A quick E Bay search using '12v motorcycle fog/ spot lights' or similar wording will give scores of options, many very affordable.   Like mine - AUD$39 the pair.

P1050151.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 8 months later...

I was thinking that $548 Canadian for the Yamaha fog lights is pretty steep.  I ride all year long so would get good use out of them.  Is there any advantage to the Yamaha lights?

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, Burley said:

I was thinking that $548 Canadian for the Yamaha fog lights is pretty steep.  I ride all year long so would get good use out of them.  Is there any advantage to the Yamaha lights?

There is no advantage to the Yamaha lights other than to claim they are "genuine Yamaha parts".

There are MANY threads on here discussing fog/driving lights and various mounting options.  I bought Denali DRL's (from forum vendor Twisted Throttle) just to be more visible to oncoming drivers - I don't ride at night.  Very high quality product, waterproof and they offer great product /customer support.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks -- I will cruise throught the threads and thanks for the advice.  I suspected there was no great advantage with Yamaha for the lights.  On my last bike (2015 FZ-07) I did buy the Yamaha heated grips which were a little more expensive than other after market products but not much and they created a more streamlined function and look but I don't see that being the case with lights.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Burley said:

I was thinking that $548 Canadian for the Yamaha fog lights is pretty steep.

I bought a bracket for my FJ from AdventureTech... and according to their website they have one coming for the GT. Works very well, and of course you'll have many lamp options to choose from various sources. Poke the vendor and ask.

426220.jpg

We have light bars, lights, and wiring harnesses with surface mount...

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Is that/are those auxiliary connectors switched?  I just finished ordering a some mounting hardware and lights, with the intent to just tie into the high beam power.... But a quick look showed that's fraught with peril, and that the lighting circuitry should really not be monkeyed with.  Looking at the costs to replace any of that if things go sideways quickly pointed out what a bad idea that would be.

I'm not super interested in adding a physical switch, and would rather the extra light simply be on any time the key is on.  The LED bar is 1.5A, so under the 2A limit for the aux connector, so if that's already switched it'd be great.  

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Is that/are those auxiliary connectors switched?

Yes, just like the 12v accessory socket, switched on with key.

Behind the screen there are 3 additional power leads that you can use to wire in accessories.  I use one for daytime running lights and another for my Garmin GPS.  I love having easy access to switched power without tapping into a wiring harness!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

29 minutes ago, betoney said:

Yes, just like the 12v accessory socket, switched on with key.

Behind the screen there are 3 additional power leads that you can use to wire in accessories.  I use one for daytime running lights and another for my Garmin GPS.  I love having easy access to switched power without tapping into a wiring harness!

Fantastic!  I hate running so many leads off the battery, and faffing around with relays and such.  So much nicer to just have leads handy right there that are already switched.  

I really appreciate all these little quality of life features on the Tracer. 

Otherwise I find I tend to end up with super cluttered handlebars with an assortment of different switches and lots of largely redundant wiring running the length of the bike.

• Like 1