Handlebars

Tripletrouble

YMMV, of course, but I'm really pretty surprised at the perceived need to put weights into the 'bars to quell any vibrations.   I'm currently on my fourth (4th) Tracer, and and all have been fitted from very early on with GripPuppies - the real ones, not thin imitations.   On none of these bikes, before or after the GPs,  have I detected other than the slightest tingle of a vibration, and certainly wouldn't find a need to take additional anti-vibe steps.   But, as said... YMMV.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

You can also load a tube of silicone in a caulk gun and fill the bars with that. Just make sure you have the opposite side of the bars open to vent air. 

If you're going the tiny ball route, a package of BB's works well and is easier to find than shot. They are harder to clean off the floor than a dab of silicone however, and you don't have to remove the bars from the bike to fill them with silicone. I'm not sure how you would fill the bars with BBs or shot unless they are off the bike and vertical. 

The only problem with silicone is that you are never getting that stuff out if you later feel the need to.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, kmev said:

I'm not sure how you would fill the bars with BBs or shot unless they are off the bike and vertical.

I put cotton wadding in the left side 2" in from the end and then installed the bar end weight.  Put the bike on side stand and turned the bars left so the right side was elevated, then poured in the BB's and then another piece of cotton wadding, again about 2" from the end and installed the bar end weight.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I left my bike on it's side stand, removed the throttle side threaded insert and slowly poured in BB's while gently tapping the handlebars with a non-marking rubber mallet. When it was full, I put the insert back in and threaded my Sato Racing bar ends back on.

YMMV 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

15 hours ago, wordsmith said:

YMMV, of course, but I'm really pretty surprised at the perceived need to put weights into the 'bars to quell any vibrations.   I'm currently on my fourth (4th) Tracer, and and all have been fitted from very early on with GripPuppies - the real ones, not thin imitations.   On none of these bikes, before or after the GPs,  have I detected other than the slightest tingle of a vibration, and certainly wouldn't find a need to take additional anti-vibe steps.   But, as said... YMMV.

So why did you put grip puppies on, for looks,  ha ha.  I've had Harley's and twin bsa's, real vibe machines. This is just a minor annoyance rather than a problem. I found grip puppy's pretty crap for my use, great for cruising on smooth roads but a lack of connection round bumpy lanes. I've taken stock guards and weights off, so putting weight in bars to compensate. Also, my oxford heated grips are a fairly hard compound. So easy cruising, vibes no problem. Hard acceleration round country lanes, get that gritty vibration at about 4-5000 revs. Easily livable with, no big deal, just going to experiment a bit with lead shot, see what happens. Why the heck have you bought 4 tracers, that's one a year ? You must do some miles ! 

1 hour ago, fddriver2 said:

I left my bike on it's side stand, removed the throttle side threaded insert and slowly poured in BB's while gently tapping the handlebars with a non-marking rubber mallet. When it was full, I put the insert back in and threaded my Sato Racing bar ends back on.

YMMV 

So, the bars are completely hollow with no internal stopper ? 

22 minutes ago, Tripletrouble said:

So why did you put grip puppies on, for looks,  ha ha.  

The GPs obviously give a slightly increased diameter, making - for me - for greater comfort.   They are not there to dampen vibes for as I've said - I cannot detect any that concern me.   The OE grips are pencil-thin and may suit some, but not me!   Same with other bikes I've had over the years, chiefly BMW boxer twins..

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Tripletrouble said:

So, the bars are completely hollow with no internal stopper ? 

Yes.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived