Securing the Windscreen from wobbling

On my 2019 GT I have noticed the windscreen mount moves around alot.  This was made a bit worse by adding the touring windshield and then a Palmer bracket.   I rode yesterday with out ear plugs and hear knocking around along with all the wiggling.

The only option at the moment that I can see is adding the Givi Windshield kit to help make the system stronger.  

Any ideas on a DIY fab that might work. I don't care if I lose the adjustability of the shield as I never adjust it.

i installed the givi 2139 which i like but juggling all the hardware for installation required tiny fingers and much tape to hold together while assembling. diabolical. however for a windshield the size of the givi, necessary. as you say, yamaha's own touring windshield was stressing out the stock mount, and that was much smaller

• Premium Member

My Puig screen moves forward and back, thus the wind pushes it back toward me.  The stock adjustment knobs are as tight as I can get them. 

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

If you remove the screen and its mount then strip the adjustable mount down you will see there are 3 sliders that it runs on.

Remove those screws and you will find an o ring inside each one that is used to set the amount of friction when you slide it up and down.

I fitted a thicker o ring to the bottom slider on mine after I modified the mount for my gps to fit above the display, it is now very stiff and stays were I set it with out the original locking mechanism

see my post satnav mount sorted.

This May help

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, graftyman said:

On my 2019 GT I have noticed the windscreen mount moves around alot.  This was made a bit worse by adding the touring windshield and then a Palmer bracket.   I rode yesterday with out ear plugs and hear knocking around along with all the wiggling.

The only option at the moment that I can see is adding the Givi Windshield kit to help make the system stronger.  

Any ideas on a DIY fab that might work. I don't care if I lose the adjustability of the shield as I never adjust it.

I seem to have the exact same problem. Some times I worry the bloody thing will break off. As @quetech mentiones I think i'll look into something similar. I was thinking along the lines of changing out the rubber mounting with someting more fixed and to heck with the adjustability - being 190cm I run it in the top point anyway. 

Didn't know about Givis different mounting - maybe that could be an option too.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:06 PM, duhg said:

My Puig screen moves forward and back, thus the wind pushes it back toward me.  The stock adjustment knobs are as tight as I can get them. 

As screens get taller they need to be of thicker/stronger material to resist flex. You can find thicker acrylic shields that will have no flex. However, on the FJ-09 that caused fractures in the bracketry so unless the GT's is significantly different it's a consideration. Flex on screens doesn't bother me unless the screen is developing issues and the Puig on my FJ is doing fine at 20k miles.  

Someone mentioned breaking off... that might be considered a feature in some get off scenarios.