More electrical woes with GT

I had to replace the main 50 amp fuse as well as the ETV fuse due to incorrect batter orientation.  Evidently this has happened to a few others here, but as far as I can tell they had no other issues after replacing the fuses.  After I replaced the two fuses the bike seemed fine other than the check engine light still being on which evidently only the dealer can clear.  

But now I noticed the quick shift light is not illuminated and the quick shift does not work.  Also I can no longer access the main menu.  When the key is on I can hear a high pitch whine coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the ABS pump, near the quick shifter.  Looked in the owners manual but find no fuse for the quick shifter.  Really disappointing since I have yet to even reach the first oil change.

Anyone have a similar experience??  Loving this bike but hating that the electronics seem so delicate.  Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by johnmark101

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

With the key on and the bike in neutral, hold the menu wheel in (push and hold) to access the main menu.  My guess is the quick shifter may have been turned off when the fuse was blown.  You will have to go back through all the settings in the menu to re-setup all of the choices for each option in the menu.  Could further damage have been done due to having the battery connections backwards?  Possibly.  Most likely the fuse saved all your electronics. 

Edited by fjrpittsburgh
  • Thumbsup 1

41 minutes ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

With the key on and the bike in neutral, hold the menu wheel in (push and hold) to access the main menu.  My guess is the quick shifter may have been turned off when the fuse was blown.  You will have to go back through all the settings in the menu to re-setup all of the choices for each option in the menu.  Could further damage have been done due to having the battery connections backwards?  Possibly.  Most likely the fuse saved all your electronics. 

Thanks for the reply.

Can't access the menu any longer.....it is as if having the check engine light has me locked out of the menu.  Also, according to what I can find in the owners manual, there is no option in the 2019 GT menu to turn the quick shifter on/off.  It is supposed to come on with the key and indicate QS on the display, but it now only shows up for a moment is the start up cycle and is then gone. 

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

53 minutes ago, mellow said:

Yeah, I popped that fuse as well.  Had to buy a code reader and little harness to clear the codes, all good after that.  Let me look for the link here with the info.

Thanks for the reply.  I am pretty decent at wrenching on bikes but am pretty much in the dark when it comes to the electrical side of things.  Feeling pretty gutted as the bike has only 300 miles. 

Is yours a GT and what year?  Hopefully clearing the codes will take care of my woes.

7 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I am pretty decent at wrenching on bikes but am pretty much in the dark when it comes to the electrical side of things.  Feeling pretty gutted as the bike has only 300 miles. 

Is yours a GT and what year?  Hopefully clearing the codes will take care of my woes.

19 GT.. I did the same thing as soon as I got the bike and had to order the stuff to clear codes, but that will fix it.

18 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Can't access the menu any longer.....it is as if having the check engine light has me locked out of the menu.  Also, according to what I can find in the owners manual, there is no option in the 2019 GT menu to turn the quick shifter on/off.  It is supposed to come on with the key and indicate QS on the display, but it now only shows up for a moment is the start up cycle and is then gone. 

You are correct about not be able to turn off the QS.  I saw a shift indicator in the menu and assumed it was for the QS.  It is not and I was wrong in assuming that.  Like @mellow says, you'll have to clear the codes.  I hope you get it resolved quickly.

34 minutes ago, mellow said:

19 GT.. I did the same thing as soon as I got the bike and had to order the stuff to clear codes, but that will fix it.

A little history.....when I went to adjust the seat height I found the dealer had installed the battery all wrong.  Terminals on the left side of the bike. The foam spacer that should be on the left side of the battery and the small electrical terminal that should sit to the right of the battery were both under the battery!!! How ridiculous is this!!  Positive cable was folded double along side the battery in order to make connection.  So I removed the battery in order to install exactly as shown in the manual diagrams.  Unfortunately had the battery on it side, reversing the terminals.  Barley touched the negative cable to the battery.

Sound at all familiar??  Did it also block your access to the menu??

Edited by johnmark101

6 minutes ago, mellow said:

I was installing something and a screwdriver just touched the positive terminal ad frame I assume...

The menu was blocked out.

I am assuming that the system denies menu access whenever there is a fault code or CEL.  Did you notice any issue with your quick shifter or any electrical buzzing sounds with the key on?  I also have these two issues.

Hope I am as fortunate as you that clearing the codes puts me back to normal.  

And thanks for your prompt responses.  👍

2 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I am assuming that the system denies menu access whenever there is a fault code or CEL.  Did you notice any issue with your quick shifter or any electrical buzzing sounds with the key on?  I also have these two issues.

Hope I am as fortunate as you that clearing the codes puts me back to normal.  

And thanks for your prompt responses.  👍

I don't remember but I'm pretty confident it should fix it.

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

A little history.....when I went to adjust the seat height I found the dealer had installed the battery all wrong.  Terminals on the left side of the bike. The foam spacer that should be on the left side of the battery and the small electrical terminal that should sit to the right of the battery were both under the battery!!!

Jesus, what kind of dealer installs the battery backwards?

God forbid they work on the actual engine.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Jesus, what kind of dealer installs the battery backwards?

God forbid they work on the actual engine.

cb

Exactly.....which is why I was looking for answers here.  Our local dealership is horrible.  A real bunch of clowns and they act like you are inconvieniencing them.  My purchasing experience was horrible in spite of the good price.  Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice but I am thinking about going  another dealer about another hour away just to get the codes cleared.