More electrical woes with GT

24 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

You should be able to turn the qs back on by lifting the gear lever and maintaining upward pressure (as though going up a gear) and turning the key on. 15 seconds or so from memory. 

Thanks for the tip.  Will give that a try.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, nhchris said:

Jesus, what kind of dealer installs the battery backwards?

God forbid they work on the actual engine.

cb

He is being pretty hard on the dealer, yet, he damaged the bike, the dealer did not.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

6 hours ago, runnerhiker said:

He is being pretty hard on the dealer, yet, he damaged the bike, the dealer did not.

Wow.....have mercy.  

I have owned many bikes over many years and have done all my own work as well without one issue until now.  I did make one simple, rookie mistake and am not alone as it has happened to others here.  Based on how the battery is designed and the install it was easy to overlook.

If you read my description of how it was originally you would see that what the dealer did was an absolute joke and a total cluster full of crass errors by comparison...... unfortunately my one error had worse consequences.

Additionally if you had been there during the purchase you would have been disgusted by how callously the transaction was handled.  I knew going in of their reputation, but they were the only ones near me with a GT in stock.

I am grateful for the members here who are offering to be helpful.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I'm sure Yamaha has setup instructions for new bikes and they obviously didn't follow them.  That mistake could have even caused a fire or other type of issues so yeah, whomever did the setup was not paying attention to what they were doing.  That would be the last place I would go moving forward, for anything.

Edited by mellow

9 hours ago, runnerhiker said:

The chain of causality is at work here...

If the batt was installed correctly from the git-go, he would not have had needed to futz with it and induce the short.  I mean, we are talking about a Yamaha DEALER after all.

Shortly after buying my bike from its orig owner rolled into my local Yami dealer for an oil filter.  Some salesman came out to look at my 2016 09.  They had never seen one in the flesh before!   I was astounded and then became uneasy with getting service done there. It's not good to be "the first!"

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Finally got things sorted out today.  But not by the local dealer from whom I bought the bike.  I went to them first and they told me they were not certain they could even clear the codes.  I asked the service writer if they had the OBD four pin connector needed and he could not tell me and did nothing to check with any of his techs.  Then he told me he could not help me today anyway and to call back later......good grief.  I got back on the bike and headed down the interstate to the next town which also has a Yamaha dealer.

When I arrive they took my bike right in, hooked it to the laptop and right away found the codes......there were about seven!!   However they could only read and not clear.  They said this was because the bike was not registered with Yamaha, something the selling dealer was supposed to do.  So I called back to the local dealer who said the person who was supposed to have done this was out to lunch.  Ninety minutes later I finally get to talk to this person who said she does not do the registration but gives me the name of the person who does...….who had just left for his lunch hour!  Seems the people at my local dealer do not even know who is responsible for what!!

So, the tech who had the bike all hooked up and ready to go calls Yamaha, downloads some new software and manages to get it done.  Codes cleared, quick shifter working, menu access returned to normal and CEL is no longer illuminated.  Bike now seems to be sorted out and all is back to normal.  However I still hear a strange electrical buzzing sound coming from the area near the ABS unit when the key is turned on.

Thanks to all who offered me help and insight on this issue.  As for the bike itself, I could not be more pleased but for the stock seat.  Will have to do something about that.

My local dealership is a real mess!!  

• Like 2

• Supporting Member

@johnmark101  your local dealer sounds completely incompetent. Avoid at all costs!  

I hope you filled out the new owner survey that gets sent back to Yamaha. 

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

However I still hear a strange electrical buzzing sound coming from the area near the ABS unit when the key is turned on.

Fortunately, that one is normal.  Mine buzzes and hums a bit when first powered up, with that ABS pump noise being the most obvious sound. 

Glad you’re finally back in business.  Now get out and enjoy the bike... it’s a terrific machine.  

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Now get out and enjoy the bike... it’s a terrific machine.  

I agree.  This bike hits the sweet spot for a middleweight sport touring machine.  I first read about the bike in the spring of 2018 and had been absorbing all the information, reviews and specs on the bike since that time.  It is a joy to ride and I plan on hitting the road for a few days in June...….headed for the Appalachian mountain roads.

Thanks again to all who offered help and insight!!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Finally got things sorted out today.  But not by the local dealer from whom I bought the bike. 

My local dealership is a real mess!!  

Very shameful that your local dealer doesn't represent Yamaha in a more positive light.  Glad to hear your bike's back in service, though...there's lots to enjoy about it!  

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

8 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Fortunately, that one is normal.  Mine buzzes and hums a bit when first powered up, with that ABS pump noise being the most obvious sound. 

Scott......can you still hear this after the initial start up cycle?  I turn the key on and hear the usual fuel pump priming etc.  But after this there is still an electrical noise that continues.  

10 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

Scott......can you still hear this after the initial start up cycle?  I turn the key on and hear the usual fuel pump priming etc.  But after this there is still an electrical noise that continues.  

@johnmark101 - my GT does the same. I hear the initial fuel pumping and then with the engine off and ignition on a continual high pitch buzz can be heard until I start the engine or turn the engine off

1 hour ago, bugie said:

@johnmark101 - my GT does the same. I hear the initial fuel pumping and then with the engine off and ignition on a continual high pitch buzz can be heard until I start the engine or turn the engine off

The “continual high pitch buzz” after the fuel pump is done its 4 second cycle, is the stepper motors for the YCC-T system. They settle into the “start” position, and are waiting for a command from the ecm.

-Skip 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2