• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Stock replacement battery price and future alternatives?

I got a mighty max gel battery a few years back for my Honda shadow.  Surprisingly good battery.  Price was good,  I could really feel the higher cold cranking amps, and if I remember right it had a wider operating temperature range.  If I need to get a new battery for my tracer I'll probably look for something similar. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had such good luck with Yuasa I never bothered to try another battery.  I would imagine there are likely better choices but since I reliably get about four or five years out of them I have not bothered to switch.

During the winter I leave them in the bike connected to a Battery Tender and don't start them until I am ready for the first ride in the spring.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:38 AM, sirepair said:

I've replaced batteries in both my ST1100 and FJ09 with Shorai Lithium Iron batteries. As stated, they are crazy light! One in the 1100 will be 3 years old in the fall, 2 years in the FJ.  

Only "issue" I've experienced is starting in cold weather. The LiFe batteries need to warm up a bit, so it is best to turn main switch on, so lights come on, and let it set for a few seconds before trying to start.

I don't use battery tenders. During off season I make a point to start bikes at least once every two weeks and let them run until fans kick on. Keeps fresh fuel in systems and batteries charged.  If bike won't turn over, battery will likely need replaced anyway.

Wow.  The LiFe stood out to me because I saw lithium Iron, and while I heard about it being promising about 7-10 years ago, I didn't know they were commercially produced because everyone just uses the shorthand of "Lithium" battery.

So yeah, I looked up the difference from the older LiCoO2 (Lithium Ion - which were the type in the incendiary hover boards) and the new LIFePO4 (Lithium Iron).  Basically ALL of the reasons I had avoided lithium batteries in the past are resolved with the Lithium Iron batteries.  My concerns were always chemical and thermal stability as well as discharge cycles.  The Iron ones have almost double the discharge cycles, are more stable over time and aren't prone to fire, even when overcharged.  Because you know... hot crotch is never a happy happy fun time. 

I'll be going for the lighter weight when/if the stock battery in my 2015 FJ-09 ever decides it's had enough.

• Supporting Member
On 6/20/2019 at 12:01 PM, fjrpittsburgh said:

I would recommend these guys.  Their batteries last for years.  I'm a 4-peat customer for 4 different bikes.

The replacement Yamaha 850CC FJ-09, 2015-2017 Motorcycle battery is...

@fjrpittsburgh  Thanks for that link, that is a great price compared to OEM.   Amazon also has cheap batteries but I don't trust them any more for certain products since they now unload a lot of the same cheap Chinese crap found on ebay.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
15 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

FYI -

Timely luck: Ryan at F9 just did a very informative video about the different battery technologies and gives pros and cons of each!

I just saw that!  Though, I feel like the recommendation of lead acid wasn't thought out for the different usage considerations for different riders and it feels like it was recommended just because it has relatively similar performance for a lot cheaper.

For instance, I wouldn't recommend it for a dual sport or adventure rider because the motorcycle may occasionally take little naps in the dirt so I'd want something that doesn't care about its orientation.  I'd also want something thermally stable and that won't spill.

While his review took into consideration the usable charge, it didn't consider the total number of charge/discharge cycles which could also be important when considering how long the battery will last.  This probably isn't something he could reasonably independently test and I'm glad he doesn't just take manufacturer claims at face value.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 6/20/2019 at 12:01 PM, fjrpittsburgh said:

I would recommend these guys.  Their batteries last for years.  I'm a 4-peat customer for 4 different bikes.

The replacement Yamaha 850CC FJ-09, 2015-2017 Motorcycle battery is...

I have been researching high-end lithium-iron batteries like the Pulse IPT from Full Spectrum Power. I was almost convinced to go with the P.4 when my original 2015 battery wears out. The smaller P.4 will free up space in the battery area for more storage and it is nearly idiot-proof. But for $26, the battery in your link is hard to argue against unless I really want a little more storage (or I want to treat the battery like an idiot). 

• Thumbsup 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

On 7/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, estell said:

I have been researching high-end lithium-iron batteries like the Pulse IPT from Full Spectrum Power. I was almost convinced to go with the P.4 when my original 2015 battery wears out. The smaller P.4 will free up space in the battery area for more storage and it is nearly idiot-proof. But for $26, the battery in your link is hard to argue against unless I really want a little more storage (or I want to treat the battery like an idiot). 

I'd say if you want more storage, invest in a trunk and side cases.  Not any storage to speak of in the battery compartment.  I think you'll be pleased with the BatterySharks replacement batteries.  Good luck!

• Thumbsup 2

Batteries are "commodity" type items.  In other words, there isn't any rocket science to them.  One is about the same as the other.

What I do is to find out what the model number and specs are (CCA) of the OEM battery.  Then I do a search for a replacement.  You'll find the model designation of the off-brands match the model designation of the OEM battery.  Then check the CCA.  Lastly, look at the user reviews.  If it is a cheap lousy battery, it'll show up there.

My last battery cost me $50 and is just fine.

Chris

On 7/16/2019 at 9:33 AM, superfist said:

I just saw that!  Though, I feel like the recommendation of lead acid wasn't thought out for the different usage considerations for different riders and it feels like it was recommended just because it has relatively similar performance for a lot cheaper.

I completely agree lol. when he announced his pick I was  like

'Wait wha...... did I miss something?'

I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for lower maintenance, good CCA, a broad operating temp range (My last bike I rode in temps ranging between 20-110 deg F),  and less 'memory loss' (I forget my keys in the ignition once in a while lol). My pick was the Gel, which I had used in my previous bike and mentioned earlier in this post. This video affirmed my preference for my choice, although I can see the benefits of the others depending on location, use, riding style,  budget, etc.

IMO the lead is for someone on a budget that doesn't mind doing the maintenance and doesn't care if it leaks situationally.

That ain't me lol. but if you ignore his pick the rest of the video is good.

Edited by Bimbim18
  • Thumbsup 1