just gonna send it!

• Supporting Member

Next time

6 hours ago, com3 said:

4 - this bike was made to be on one wheel. i THINK that's hopland grade in norcal...i don't remember.

i-6vxRWmg-X3.jpg

Next time I'm in NorCal I'll have to check out Hopland Grade.  I was right near there in May, I came around Lake Berryessa into Calistoga and up to Clear Lake.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@betoney I'm in norcal all the time. Currently I'm at Laguna Seca raceway...Weds I'll be in Sacramento...this weekend I'll be at Oregon raceway park...next weekend I'll be at Pacific raceways in Washington...after that back to norcal for a week or two  :)

• Thumbsup 3

• 5 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, koth442 said:

Come out east and take some for me :P

You know you want to ride Barber. 

Barber is incredible.  Not only for the fantastic track, but the museum as well.  Mecca for motorcyclists!!!  Turn two...………..

Barber April 2012.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:20 PM, betoney said:

Next time

Next time I'm in NorCal I'll have to check out Hopland Grade.  I was right near there in May, I came around Lake Berryessa into Calistoga and up to Clear Lake.

I love the Hopland grade. I go from Chico to Santa Rosa often, and if I have an extra half hour I’ll go over 175 for sure.  There is one pesky detail that keeps it from going from Great! to Spectacular!, and that is the number of dirty corners. Lots of people haul boats and trailers over the grade and on the right handers the load often goes off pavement and kicks up gravel just at the delayed apex.  You really have to know the road well to know which sequences you can open up and which sequences you have to hold back.  That having been said, it’s still probably one of my top 5 roads in NorCal – and that says a lot, considering the embarrassment of riches we have.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, maximo said:

I love the Hopland grade. I go from Chico to Santa Rosa often, and if I have an extra half hour I’ll go over 175 for sure. 

That having been said, it’s still probably one of my top 5 roads in NorCal – and that says a lot, considering the embarrassment of riches we have.

That is saying a lot, I try to get down to California at least once a season and never get tired of the riding you have.  Last season I discovered the Lake Berryessa/Calistoga area and will definitely be back for more. 

This Spring I plan on exploring the roads between Quincy and Oroville for the first time, want to make a loop from Quincy to Bucks Lake to Oroville then to La Porte and back to Quincy. - Is that area worth the trip?  any seasonal snow closures?

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Barber is incredible.  Not only for the fantastic track, but the museum as well.  Mecca for motorcyclists!!!  Turn two...………..

Barber April 2012.jpg

Hope to see you at a trackday sometime this season! 

'15 FJ09

10 hours ago, betoney said:

That is saying a lot, I try to get down to California at least once a season and never get tired of the riding you have.  Last season I discovered the Lake Berryessa/Calistoga area and will definitely be back for more. 

This Spring I plan on exploring the roads between Quincy and Oroville for the first time, want to make a loop from Quincy to Bucks Lake to Oroville then to La Porte and back to Quincy. - Is that area worth the trip?  any seasonal snow closures?

Yes the roads thru you planned route are amazing! Last year I rode the 36 from the coast all the way into Westwood where I got a Airbnb. The next day I road the 147 next to Lake Almanor to the 89 to 70 back to the 89 all the way down thru Truckee and down around Lake Tahoe to the 395 down to Bishop. The roads were damn near perfect, smooth as glass and grippy like riding on Velcro. My route took me thru Quincy and a few other small towns. Amazing is all I can say, definitely going back this summer or late spring. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would because some of the meadows you pop out in were breathtaking. Childs meadow in Mill Creek is just so dang beautiful I pulled over at the one convenience store got a Red Bull and just sat on a rock for a bit and just took it all in. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, whitecrow said:

Yes the roads thru you planned route are amazing! Last year I rode the 36 from the coast all the way into Westwood where I got a Airbnb. The next day I road the 147 next to Lake Almanor to the 89 to 70 back to the 89 all the way down thru Truckee and down around Lake Tahoe to the 395 down to Bishop. The roads were damn near perfect, smooth as glass and grippy like riding on Velcro. My route took me thru Quincy and a few other small towns. Amazing is all I can say, definitely going back this summer or late spring. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would because some of the meadows you pop out in were breathtaking. Childs meadow in Mill Creek is just so dang beautiful I pulled over at the one convenience store got a Red Bull and just sat on a rock for a bit and just took it all in. 

That whole area from Mt. Shasta to Lake Tahoe is AMAZING.  I have been through that area several times but on the main roads, 49/70/89/139/395 etc. 

Even when I ride a familiar area, I always try to add a new section that Ive never ridden before.  When I go back I specifically want to ride between Quincy and Oroville on a loop - Bucks Lake Rd/ Oro Quincy Highway and then La Porte Rd/Quincy Laporte Rd.  Any feedback on this specific loop?

Lets see if this link works...

• Thumbsup 2

Every roads in Quincy areas are beautiful. I only wanted to add that due to construction, there was a 3-4 miles section of unpaved Buck Lake road about 10 miles north of Oroville when I was there in July 2018. 

You can create several loops out of 32/70/La Port/Buck Lake Roads!

Edited by ruenjou
  • Thanks 1