1st Service Costs.

Could you provied the page number in the service manual where one would find fuel injection synchronization? 
I have the service manual and for the life of me I just can find it.

Thanks in advance.

Sure! It's on page 3-8.
The correct Yamaha tool can be purchased from K&L supply in the US - which is distributed by both Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited. It's called a VacuumMate.

They are quite expensive, so it may be worth paying your local dealership an hour of labor to have them do it.

HTH-
-Skip

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again as with most things, @steve, I think this is down to the dealer. My RAC breakdown handbook and cards and warranty card came within 10 days of riding away. This needs your dealer to put your details into the Yamaha computer system
You can imagine what the dealer told me .. Yamaha take up to 6 weeks to process. The details were put into the Yamaha system, I was looking at the screen when it was done - a warranty registration form was produced at the end of the process, which I have. The Datatag was done at the same time and I received the emailed docs from them before the keys had been handed over. Seems to be a bit of pot luck at Yamaha HQ :-/

A correction to what I initially posted about signing a document regarding the chargeable service, it was something else I had signed for!!  The service notification came in my welcome email from the dealer .. part of it below

From January 19th 2015* Yamaha has announced that the first service is now chargeable. Lamba have decided to offer a reduced cost fixed price of £60-00 for labour ( £90-00 for T.Max and R125 ) plus you pay for parts i.e. oil and filter etc. for our customers. 
* bikes sold before this date still qualify for the labour free first service.

• Premium Member
Just been over to Skellerns in Cheltenham to enquire about luggage - supposedly being shipped next week. Nick the manager states that this is not Yamaha policy as far as he knows. It was mentioned in a dealer meeting some time ago but he states Yamaha has no fixed policy although he is aware some dealers charge extra for the service. Skellerns policy is to still quote an on the road price including the labour cost for servicing. Something else to ask a delaer when you get that quote as the cheapest sticker price is not necessarily the cheapest in the longer run.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I do appreciate it. This was the confusing part and why I could not find it. In the maintenance schedule it says "fuel injection synchronization" and on page 3-8 it says "throttle body synchronization". Sounds like two different things but if your confident its the same ill go with that.

Could you provied the page number in the service manual where one would find fuel injection synchronization? 
I have the service manual and for the life of me I just can find it.

Thanks in advance.

Sure! It's on page 3-8.
The correct Yamaha tool can be purchased from K&L supply in the US - which is distributed by both Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited. It's called a VacuumMate.

They are quite expensive, so it may be worth paying your local dealership an hour of labor to have them do it.

HTH-
-Skip

Guest dmizer
The service manuals are written by a separate company contracted by Yamaha, and unless things have changed pretty drastically the primary native English speaking translator they have working for them has zero knowledge or experience in English related to motorcycle mechanics.

If you did everything that the manuel says to do how did you do the fuel injection on adjusting the synchronization? Only reason I ask is I do all my own maintance and have no way of knowing how to do this step. Please tell.
Thanks

Adjusting the Fuel injection synchronization DOES require special tools and the knowledge to do it properly.
This is covered in the service manual.

-skip
Skip you are right, it does require special tools for the throttle body sync, although I saw a few videos on youtube on how to do this procedure and it does not look too complicated. The tool (vacumeter) is fairly cheap, and looks pretty simple to operate. The hardest thing IMO would be to remove tank and airbox to be able to perform it. Also, I do not think this is needed so soon. I may be wrong, but the engine is working pretty smoothly, so I believe the synchronization is within the tolerance. 
Anyway, that is just me, I am not recommending that you do not do yours, but I honestly do not think it is necessary, at least for my bike. If I was experiencing something odd with the engine operation I would try to do it, but as of now, it is fine.

The Yamaha recommended tool happens to be one of the most expensive on the market - around $700 US IIRC.
I haven't watched the YouTube demos, but most home mechanics use the old Mercury style or another gauge type that's more old school. Yamaha also wants you to set the throttle bodies to a specific vacuum reading which is only possible with a digital tool like the VacuumMate. Does this make a huge difference? That's debatable.

I'm glad it's running fine. Most modern Fuel Injected bikes run so well that you really can't tell if the throttle bodies are a bit out of sync. Especially when new.

Me, I perform it and adjust as needed at the recommended intervals. Does it make a difference? In my mind I know it's perfect, so I don't obsess over it. As the miles pile on and the valves loosen/tighten up it WILL need to be tweaked after clearances are adjusted.

Just my $0.02.
-skip

2 things from this thread....
1. Ive just realised my bike wasnt datatagged by the dealer as id been assured it would of been, and
2. I need to double check on the whole 1st service thing as there has been no mention of the free service going down the leg side ( sorry, a English expression ! ) and im sure the dealer stressed it was still free bar the oil etc.
thanks for the heads up

I am in the process of e-mailing Yamaha uk for their views on this subject. i think as the service/warranty book states no labour costs they should honour it. until amended books are supplied to new customers.
Be sure to let us know their reply, If you get one, please ? 

Well, here in the US, at least in Atlanta, at Mountain Motorsports (where I bought mine) they wanted $450.00. The thing with them though is that they try to sell you a "Maintenance Plan" that would supposedly save you 60% on the regular service, but in reality, what I think they do is charge the "fair" price on the plan they sell, and markup the price for whoever did not want to get their plan, so that they could claim the 60% in savings. 
I have not checked other dealers, after seeing that price, it just helped convince me to do it myself, which I did, and it cost $35.00 for 3 qt of Full Synthetic oil, $17 and change for the OEM oil filter and less then $2 for the crush washer. Plus I did all the checks on my bike, which are explained in the Owners Manual, so I know for sure, that everything was checked, which is not always the case with dealers...

Also, the experience of servicing my own bike was great, and I plan on keep doing it, at least for the stuff that does not require special equipment.
Just had my initial 600 mile service (at 710 miles) done a couple of weeks ago at Honda/Yamaha of Knoxville (TN) - the dealership where I purchased it.  Yamaha had already mailed me a 15% discount coupon so the service cost me $130.00.  The service department did it while I waited.  Took about an hour.  Still totally happy with the FJ-09 and with the dealership. 

Bare in mind this is in Australia.
Trooper Lus Garage does flat rate service costs for all new vehicles, for my Tracer (FJ):
1st- 249
minor- 260
major- 400

It then expands to extra work that may need doing, such as suspension tweaking, odd perishables (bearings) or rebuilds.

For what it's worth, I asked a dealer here in the area (not Westfield Motorsports) about throttle sync at 1st service, he said that no one really performs the procedure. I'm guessing what he really means is that he doesn't have the $700 tool. Make sure to ask your dealer about it if you want the sync performed during the 1st service.

Archived