1st Service Costs.

I do all my own servicing. Valve adjustments are the biggest pain, but they aren't hard provided you take your time and don't get in a rush. Syncing the throttle bodies can typically be done using a manometer (I used this one: http://www.carbtune.com/). Unless the FJ is different, I suspect it will still work.

When I work on my bike I typically enlist the help of a friend. It's more fun to have some company in the garage and another set of eyes on things.

About the only thing I won't tackle is cracking into the transmission or splitting the cases. Too many little bits in there for my comfort.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Follow up: to sync or not to sync?
My bike has 1048 miles. Here is what needs to be removed for a Throttle body sync.

B02B99AC-5323-4D89-8844-FAF9F910AF96_zpsmgnu4zyo.jpg

After the tool is connected, the tank got put back on.

Shot of the VacuumMate showing the TB levels before synchronization:

3DA3F32F-8624-439F-AF91-A37ECD2C5728_zpsh1hxioog.jpg

After adjustment:

7923235A-5805-4A9B-BA75-B80FA16B996D_zpspriytkwl.jpg

-Skip

• Premium Member
Follow up: to sync or not to sync? My bike has 1048 miles. Here is what needs to be removed for a Throttle body sync.

B02B99AC-5323-4D89-8844-FAF9F910AF96_zpsmgnu4zyo.jpg

After the tool is connected, the tank got put back on.

Shot of the VacuumMate showing the TB levels before synchronization:

3DA3F32F-8624-439F-AF91-A37ECD2C5728_zpsh1hxioog.jpg

After adjustment:

7923235A-5805-4A9B-BA75-B80FA16B996D_zpspriytkwl.jpg

-Skip

How about a picture of the hookup points and a brief writeup of what you did. I can add to the how to section using my words if you like after seeing the pictures. Thanks. 
Nice VacuumMate by the way. Not cheap! Just under $600, ouch and that was a good price. Over $700 on Ebay.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Scottoiler have a good picture of the vacuum hook up points in their how to pdf. I have downloaded it to my dropbox

As I just said in another post, it's a shame Yamaha don't fit some rubber hoses to the vacuum spigots so you can hook up a mercury or fancy electronic gauge like @skippert to check the reading without stripping the tank and airbox. They did this on the TDM and saved a lot of hassle if the carbs were in sync. If you follow Yamaha's service schedule the plugs, air filter and valves are on longer service intervals so if at a minor service your throttle bodies were in spec. you could get away without lifting the tank.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
It's a good idea - the fz6 has hoses already installed for example.  
Problem is that the adjusting/air bleed screws are pointed up toward the air box. You'd need to pull it anyway to get a flat head screwdriver in there.

-S
but only if they go out of sync will you need to access the adjusters - will they be out of sync by a significant amount in 4000 miles, the US/Canada service interval? When in the UK, they will get checked only every 6000 miles as we get longer service intervals...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest bmidd
Went by my dealer on the way to the mountain and he said it will cost me between $150-200 including syncing the TB's. I can live with that.

• Premium Member
Went by my dealer on the way to the mountain and he said it will cost me between $150-200 including syncing the TB's. I can live with that.
My bike Mechanic did my TB sync for $65 and also cleaned and lubed my chain.
so 85-135 bucks for oil, filter, washer, sundries and the labour to do the rest of the 600 mile service doesn't sound too bad to me

Probably not a significant amount, Wessie. I'd say the 600 mile one is the most important one - as that's the first time the engine and the throttle bodies have been working together on the same motorcycle - and should be adjusted to work in harmony.

What I've experienced with FI is that the TBs don't move too much until the valve train and pistons wear a bit. Or unless something else fails mechanically
Lack of regular maintainence, abuse, running low octane/poor quality fuel, etc would also cause changes.

Now carbs? That's another story ;). Every 4k, for sure.

-S

paid 106 euros
That's what I paid (well 105.96€ ;) ), mine has BelRay oil in it now. At least some consistency in Europe, unlike in the UK where we are getting charged what the dealer wants to charge - from nothing to a fair bit. Which country are you in?  I had mine done in The Netherlands. 

Paid £44 for my 1st service yesterday, inc Fi system check/sync- AND they cleaned the bike for me !! 
Then had to wait for another technician to fit the axle sliders/engine casing protectors and allegedly the datatag kit that should of been fitted at the PDi but with no paperwork to prove its been fitted im a bit sceptical again, I'll give it till after Easter then chase em up. Just waiting for the yamaha rack to turn up now.but no charge for fitting it all, im guessing cos its yamahas fault the parts weren't in in time for me picking the bike up from new ? 
annoyingly it was blowing a gale on the way home over the mendip hills so couldn't open her up so that will have to wait till tomorrow's trip

That's what I paid (well 105.96€ ;) ), mine has BelRay oil in it now. At least some consistency in Europe, unlike in the UK where we are getting charged what the dealer wants to charge - from nothing to a fair bit. Which country are you in?  I had mine done in The Netherlands.
Slovenia ;)

• Premium Member
Paid £44 for my 1st service yesterday, inc Fi system check/sync- AND they cleaned the bike for me !!  Then had to wait for another technician to fit the axle sliders/engine casing protectors and allegedly the datatag kit that should of been fitted at the PDi but with no paperwork to prove its been fitted im a bit sceptical again, I'll give it till after Easter then chase em up. Just waiting for the yamaha rack to turn up now.but no charge for fitting it all, im guessing cos its yamahas fault the parts weren't in in time for me picking the bike up from new ? 
annoyingly it was blowing a gale on the way home over the mendip hills so couldn't open her up so that will have to wait till tomorrow's trip
I paid about that and I got a plastic wallet with a serial no. card and the remnants of the bottle of datatag microdot gloop so I can put some on any accessories I like. After about 10 days the registration pack should arrive from Datatag, it says on the card. I collected my bike on the 3rd March and have in the last 30 mins received an email from Datatag to say the reg. documents are on the way, so either they aren't keeping to that timescale or the dealer/Yamaha took a while to forward the documents. 
Nowadays you can't see any evidence of the Datatag as the etching is done with UV visible gloop. They put a Datatag badge on the headstock, a moulded plastic job that looks better than the usual holographic sticker but that may be a factory fitted job.

Do you have access to a UV scanner? Shops use them for checking bank notes so a friendly retailer might lend you one. If the bike has been tagged you will see the little glows as shown here http://datatag.co.uk/motorcycles.php  

Archived