Shad Side bags for FJ-09 !!!

• Premium Member
One more question about the Shad system - once you install the racks, do they remain in place? They are smaller and better looking than the Givi or Kappa scaffolding, but the latter can quickly be removed from the mounting points. Looks like the Shad system is installed in one piece and remains on the bike?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it's not the same as a direct comment from someone on here but there are a couple of reviews online for the bags.

I'm not sure if posting these links is forbidden. I would guess not as they aren't vendors but will happily remove if asked.

<first link removed - looks like forum software automatically removed the domain name>

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/shad-sh36/review.htm

• Premium Member
I wouldn't say that the Shad side cases are better than the Yamaha items.  About the same is my guess.  I have some experience with the Yamaha cases having owned a 2007 FJR. The main reasons I went with Shad are 1) that I have owned their cases in the past and I like the quality, and 2) they are less expensive than OEM.

BuilderBob, do you have any feedback after owning the cases for some time? Have you used them and do you have any concerns? Are they waterproof, do the inner bags fit, do they pack easily etc?
I can't comment on the water resistance.  Haven't been through rain with them. 
They are a bit smaller than I would like.  I'm used to the luggage that I've had on previous bikes, which seemed a bit larger.  Inner bags fit fine.  Only complaint about the inner bags is the opening isn't positioned very well for optimal packing.  I've had better.

I bought th Shad side cases because they were the only alternative to the overpriced OEM bags at the time.  Had I waited, I would have gone with a GIVI Trekker set with SW Motech racks.  I've had this setup on a couple of other bikes and it worked very well.  I'll probably make the switch before it's all over with this bike.

I'll have to add that I am very happy with the Shad SH48 top case.  It is quite nice.  I won't be replacing it.

• Premium Member
Well everything arrived by courier as promised . All nicely packaged and everything seems to be in good order. Hope to get fitted in next few days :)

Great, I got an email yesterday, mine has shipped. Probably won't arrive until late next week with the bank holidays.

Everything went together splendidly.
The Givi top box rack remained in place ( part SR2122). I used the supplied spacers from Shad and simply removed the small Givi spacer which acts as an infill. The Givi rack has the original yamaha side rail in place with the bungee hooks, but this is removed on fitting the shad system. I used a little bit of loctite on the threads to be on the safe side.

2015-12-27%2011.33.44.jpg

2015-12-27%2011.33.50.jpg
[/img]

• Premium Member
Everything went together splendidly. The Givi top box rack remained in place ( part SR2122). I used the supplied spacers from Shad and simply removed the small Givi spacer which acts as an infill. The Givi rack has the original yamaha side rail in place with the bungee hooks, but this is removed on fitting the shad system. I used a little bit of loctite on the threads to be on the safe side.

[/img]

Thanks for that. Expecting my Shad kit in the next week or so and then I'll have the same combination of Givi top box and Shad side cases. Glad to hear it works. Pity about the OEM side rails; they may not look so good but they do have very handy bungee hooks. Oh, the difference between our set ups is in my pic the MG will be replaced by a MX5.

Everything went together splendidly. The Givi top box rack remained in place ( part SR2122). I used the supplied spacers from Shad and simply removed the small Givi spacer which acts as an infill. The Givi rack has the original yamaha side rail in place with the bungee hooks, but this is removed on fitting the shad system. I used a little bit of loctite on the threads to be on the safe side.

[/img]
Excellent - does it look possible to refit the original side bars, perhaps with longer bolts? I quite like the fact they are useful for attaching straps.

[/img]
Excellent - does it look possible to refit the original side bars, perhaps with longer bolts? I quite like the fact they are useful for attaching straps.
Hi Ian. I'm nor sure if the original side rail will go back - may be a clearance issue. I'll take a look tomorrow. Do agree they have some useful attachment points though Mike

One more question about the Shad system - once you install the racks, do they remain in place? They are smaller and better looking than the Givi or Kappa scaffolding, but the latter can quickly be removed from the mounting points. Looks like the Shad system is installed in one piece and remains on the bike?
Hi Johan 
yes they remain in place, but having now fitted a set it would only be a 15 min job to swap them out for the original rail. I suppose it depends how many trips you want the side bags on for.
Mike

Looks really nice Mike. :)

My order was despatched on the 23rd and only reached the UK today. So should hopefully arrive reasonably soon (depending on Parcelforce holidays and the vagaries of the weather).

Archived