Shad Side bags for FJ-09 !!!

The Yamaha cases are starting to look better and better to me.

If you can get them.  It took more than two months for them to ship me the cases, ordered April 1, and they still haven't shipped the lower mounts.  They're claiming backorder until the first week in July now.  At least one person on this list has been waiting a long time for lock cores, although I got those within a week. 
They are nice cases, worth the money IMO.  Sure wish I could use them.

Ditto that, I can't even find the locks for my bags!  

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had bad service from Shad as well, and also gotten the run around from Vanessa on chat, Michael via email, and another lady via phone (barb maybe?).  Emailed Michael back after waiting 2 weeks of processing (no backorder notice).  Page said they won't charge until they are ready to ship, and they will ship starting April into May with next day shipping (way beyond that).  Once shipped will be next day shipping, they charged me $107 for shpping, so I expected next day.  Michael responded to my email and said he would email me back with an update (nothing), Vanessa told me twice she would email me an update via chat within 30 mins (nothing either time), and the lady on the phone told me she would email me and nothing.  Got a shipping notice finally Yesterday and it is UPS ground... Seems pricey for ground shipping.  Not been happy at all with their customer support, and purchase process, let's hope the bags make up for it.

Beyond frustrated with Shad here.  They never responded to any of my requests even though was repeatedly told I would get emails from them.  At least Yamaha is following up with with dealers who is communicating with users.  I know the initial wait with shad was at least 2 months as well.  I get an automated email about items being shipped.  Finally got the boxes today and it is only the top case, and mounting bracket.  I asked Vanessa in chat, she responded until I gave my order number.  And then I am suddenly disconnected with reason, too long without a response.  

Opened yet another chat and they finally didn't close it after I asked if this was a real person.  They told me the bags won't ship until next week.  Awesome now I have to drive for my work trip as I was planning to ride out, and wont' have enough room for luggage.

Hello Guys, Yesterday I installed SHAD top case master fitting and 3P side case holder on the bike. I put a slide show on youtube, I suppose it may be useful for some riders because I saw in the forums that it may be difficult to install both racks at the same time.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6hEmyYWyKA]

• Premium Member
are the shad bags better than the yamaha bags or is it mainly because of delays if ordering from yamaha? 
Also, are all the sideboxes people are getting the SH 36?
I wouldn't say that the Shad side cases are better than the Yamaha items.  About the same is my guess.  I have some experience with the Yamaha cases having owned a 2007 FJR. The main reasons I went with Shad are 1) that I have owned their cases in the past and I like the quality, and 2) they are less expensive than OEM.

Hello Guys, Yesterday I installed SHAD top case master fitting and 3P side case holder on the bike. I put a slide show on youtube, I suppose it may be useful for some riders because I saw in the forums that it may be difficult to install both racks at the same time. 

Great installation video. Thank you. You didn't put the order for the rear holes. Is it spacer, top case rack, side case rack, washer, bolt?

Great installation video. Thank you. You didn't put the order for the rear holes. Is it spacer, top case rack, side case rack, washer, bolt?
I can tell you what I did.  If you install the top case rack first, the side case will be at an odd angle on the foot peg.  I did get a little info from Shad ... said to install the side rack first. 
from Shad

definitely the 3P mount system goes on first, then the Top Master system.

This is what I ended up doing

On the Rear hole : spacer, side rack, top rack, washer
On the front hole: spacer, side rack, 2 washers, top rack, washer

The directions show the top case with 2 washers on the front.... so I'm guessing they needed to be there when both were installed.

I also had to buy longer bolts (next length up).. I think the ones they send will fit, I was just not comfortable with the amount of thread going into the frame.

This made the side case line up perfectly.  The top case rack was a little tight... I think thats what the 2 washers are for... stress relief.  Once all tighten, I can see a slight bend in the top rack case....

Order for the rear hole; spacer, top case rack, side case rack, washer, bolt. Trick part is; you have to install side case rack foot pegs part first so bolts would not be short. Afterwards you can continue with front hole and rear hole.

The keys inside the top case are for the top case. There should be an extra lock cylinder inside one of the side cases. You use it to swap out the one in the top case so that you can use one key for all three. BTW, let me know if you figure out how to get that lock cylinder out. I'm at a loss.

I got a pdf from Shad on the locking mechanism....not overly detailed.. but might help 
Lock Mechanism PDF

So I finally got my side mounts on and and top case on.  I ended up using the configuration that gamdh suggested after Michael from Shad kept saying the factory is working on it.  With everything (including the top case plate bolts) loose, it worked well.  My left side side case mount was tweaked though and I had to add a few washers to relieve stress on one of the foot peg bracket holes.   
Now I'm having issues with replacing the lock so that they all lock with one key.  The assembly was a real pain to get out and once I got it all apart the replacement lock didn't seem to fit.  The one that was in there pit perfectly and turned smoothly.  the replacement required A LOT of force to get in and turn (with pliers even!).  I added a little lube and turned it back and forth many times and eventually it loosened up a little, but is still very stiff.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Also, in the process I have lost the proper alignment of all the bits and pieces and I'm stuck scratching my head trying to put it back together.  Sure wish shad had a more detailed blow up diagram of the assembly.

• Premium Member
I got a pdf from Shad on the locking mechanism....not overly detailed.. but might help 
Lock Mechanism PDF

So I finally got my side mounts on and and top case on.  I ended up using the configuration that gamdh suggested after Michael from Shad kept saying the factory is working on it.  With everything (including the top case plate bolts) loose, it worked well.  My left side side case mount was tweaked though and I had to add a few washers to relieve stress on one of the foot peg bracket holes.   
Now I'm having issues with replacing the lock so that they all lock with one key.  The assembly was a real pain to get out and once I got it all apart the replacement lock didn't seem to fit.  The one that was in there pit perfectly and turned smoothly.  the replacement required A LOT of force to get in and turn (with pliers even!).  I added a little lube and turned it back and forth many times and eventually it loosened up a little, but is still very stiff.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Also, in the process I have lost the proper alignment of all the bits and pieces and I'm stuck scratching my head trying to put it back together.  Sure wish shad had a more detailed blow up diagram of the assembly.
Yes.  I did. I ended up having to file the replacement cylinder until it would turn easily in the collar.  Took about an hour of carefully and evenly filing the diameter down.  If you do this, make sure that you have the key in the cylinder while filing so that you don't accidentally file the tumblers down.

order Side Bags may18th, shad USA charged my card June 8th. June 10th I canceled my order because I could not get a tracking number. June 10th and they still have not credited my card. lousy service.

Archived