Tracer 900 GT won't start

I just installed the connections for a trickle charger.  I got the leads installed directly to the battery terminals.  Buttoned it all up and now it won't start.  I turn the key to on and nothing, no lights, TFT screen is blank. nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by exstowner
more info

• Supporting Member

Hi there @exstowner - Did you have the battery out of the bike while hooking up the terminals for the charger?   The battery in these bikes lays on its side, and there have been many cases of people reinstalling the battery with the terminals reversed...  if you drop the battery in using a conventional ‘upright’ orientation, the positive & negative terminals end up swapped from where they should be.  No permanent damage is done, fortunately, but it will blow a couple of fuses that you would have to replace. 

• Thumbsup 3

It sounds as if you managed to touch the battery connections together. Check the big fuses near the battery, under the front seat.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

agree with Norcal616, this is a pretty common fuse at any auto parts store. Or Amazon next day delivery (if you live in an area where you have the option)

I had the 50 amp fuse blow when reinstalling the battery.  Picked one up at the auto parts store.  No problem. 

You might want to check a few other fuses.  Mine also blew the ETV ( electronic throttle valve ) fuse at the same time.  It is under the seat and the owners manual shows the location.  It is not out of the ordinary to blow this one as well.   If you replace the main 50 amp and start the bike with the ETV fuse blown, it increases the likelihood that you will get a check engine light and a code or two, especially if you try to open the throttle.  Can also disable the quick shifter and lock you out of the menu if this occurs.  Then you have to take it to the dealer and have the codes cleared.      

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.