Startup Problems

It started a month ago. I wanted to go to the dealership to have it looked into, but the consultant on the phone said I should "burn the fuel" first and then see.

I did that, I filled the tank again at another station (Shell) and this is even getting worse.

What do you think it is caused by?

My guess would just be a weak battery. I don't think fuel is an issue.

Have you tried charging the battery? Is it a case of after a long ride it starts up fine but then if you stop and start it begins to suffer. If so it could be because the battery is discharging a little with every start.

Any problems whilst you ride it? 

Edited by bugie

Question: why are you trying to start the bike 3 times? Solely for the purpose of making this video?

every time you start the bike, excess fuel is injected into the engine to “get it running”. Buy starting it/stopping within a short period of time you are asking the engine to burn a ton of excess fuel and will eventually foul the plugs. 

If you are concerned about the engine “hunting” for an idle speed, that is fairly typical for this bike. if you are concerned about the higher idle speed the bike has after your second restart, then I don’t have an answer for you as that’s also happened to me. If you are concerned about the engine struggling to stay running the third time you try to start it, then yes - that’s probably due to a low voltage supply from the battery, because you just used it to start the bike 3 times!

Only using the stop switch on the RH bar can confuse things as well. Use the key switch and wait for the fuel pump to cycle/IC screen to flash on before pushing the button. 

How many miles on the bike? Valves checked yet? Spark plugs replaced?

you can use a multimeter to check the “resting” voltage of the battery. Do this after the bike has been sitting for awhile (because voltages are higher just after powering off). It should have a minimum of 12.7v. Anything less means it does need a charge. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2

2900 miles on the bike. 

Yes, I did start the bike 3 times only for the purpose of the video. The initial startup on the video was after a week since the last startup. Before that thing a month ago it had never struggled. I have to check the things out.

I am reading and "listening" carefully to all suggestions. 

Edited by tidji
  • Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, riding_tall said:

Also having the same odd cold startup on my 2017 w/OEM batt.  I'll check the voltage when I get home.

Yes a battery may show a full charge but it may lack the CCA( cold crank amps) to turn over nicely... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

My bike started doing weird things at startup... high idle...  My battery had plenty to start the bike but was old so I replaced it... All issues resolved with the new battery with zero re-occurance.  

My guess was low voltage was causing the computer to not boot up correctly. 

Regards,

Pat

• Thanks 1