2017 FJ09 Quickshifter

Hello friends

I am starting to get bored in these quarantine days so shopping for a quickshifter for my 2017 FJ09. Which quickshifter would you recommend? Does this bike have a connector readily available under the tank like the FZ09?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2017 FJ also, just recently bought the Yamaha quick shifter off of Amazon. It was approximately $147 with free shipping. 

The 2017 model does have a connector under the back of the fuel tank just waiting for you to plug your new quick shifter in. Makes for a very easy installation. 

• Premium Member

I presume the GYTR shifter doesn't work on a 15...

I've looked at others and up only can be had for under $200 USD but I up shift frequently without touching the clutch lever anyway but auto blip up down units are well north of $500.  Am I wrong?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've looked at others and up only can be had for under $200 USD but I up shift frequently without touching the clutch lever anyway but auto blip up down units are well north of $500.  Am I wrong?

Same here, I have a '15 and want auto blip down shift, is a dual direction QS setup available? 

I'm not sure that there is a GYTR QS for the 2015/ '16 but FTECU makes one for $240 and requires a bike side harness. 😢

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

Same here, I have a '15 and want auto blip down shift, is a dual direction QS setup available? 

I'm not sure that there is a GYTR QS for the 2015/ '16 but FTECU makes one for $240 and requires a bike side harness. 😢

3337390.png?103

FLASHED BY VCYCLENUT

No re-flash needed and he had a deal for like 220 total?... with the FTECU unit I would cuz mine was flashed by Dave...

But both are still only up only.  I found another with up & down but its like 550

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 8:03 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

You're quite correct on all points. The '14-16 models don't have the QS function in the ECU, so you need an add-on controller or a flash. I can provide QS sensor & rod plus a plug-in controller for US$225.

Auto-blip is *much* more complicated and requires more involved programming, so it demands much more money.

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

I just bought a Tracer GT that comes stock with a QS. Its alot of fun so I ordered the Yamaha QS for my 2019 XSR900. If you hop over to the FZ09.org forum there's some discussion about it there. Also a link to a YouTube installation video by "two wheel obsession" that's really informative. 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

did you buy the   

2017-2019 YAMAHA FJ FZ MT-09 TRACER 900 GYTR SHIFTER KIT BS2-E81A0-V0-00  

for $132.95 from Amazon?  

I would like to do the same to my 2017. I am going to be syncing the throttle bodies soon so that would be a good time 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, TTR Ignition said:

Auto-blip is *much* more complicated and requires more involved programming, so it demands much more money.

Word. Spend enough time watching and studying MotoGP bikes / coupled with actual riding experience, down shift with rev matching is a science to the bike. I know you designed a QS. I have a healtech. Something I’m sure you studied when you did some development work. It will allow for a DS in certain circumstances. I have tested it. It work and slips in gear just like going up. However, really useless without rev matching. Using it under the fun circumstances when you want it - no go. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• 10 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Installed the Yamaha quick-shifter today on my 2017 FJ-09. Pretty easy except for getting to the connector under the tank to plug into. I had looked at a you tube video of install for the FZ09 which has less stuff to take off before lifting the rear of the fuel tank. Not a difficult upgrade but supplied directions are vague regarding what to take apart to get to the connector under tank.

When I tried to do the setup it wouldn't take.  Directions ask to hold the gear shift lever up with your foot while turning key to on. Keep upward pressure on the lever for 10 seconds and QS light should light up. Release pressure from shift lever and go ride to test. 

I was in N and couldn't get the light to come on. At that point I tried change gears to see if that would help, and I couldn't change out of N. Bike hasn't been ridden in a few weeks. It was at the dealer last week for the first 600mile oil change and I had them install the Yamaha heated grips. I pushed it from the dealer to a trailer and into my garage without starting it, and so it sat because of snow and ice outside.

I've got to go out for a while but will play with it again later. Any suggestions?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

Installed the Yamaha quick-shifter today on my 2017 FJ-09. Pretty easy except for getting to the connector under the tank to plug into. I had looked at a you tube video of install for the FZ09 which has less stuff to take off before lifting the rear of the fuel tank. Not a difficult upgrade but supplied directions are vague regarding what to take apart to get to the connector under tank.

When I tried to do the setup it wouldn't take.  Directions ask to hold the gear shift lever up with your foot while turning key to on. Keep upward pressure on the lever for 10 seconds and QS light should light up. Release pressure from shift lever and go ride to test. 

I was in N and couldn't get the light to come on. At that point I tried change gears to see if that would help, and I couldn't change out of N. Bike hasn't been ridden in a few weeks. It was at the dealer last week for the first 600mile oil change and I had them install the Yamaha heated grips. I pushed it from the dealer to a trailer and into my garage without starting it, and so it sat because of snow and ice outside.

I've got to go out for a while but will play with it again later. Any suggestions?

The quick-shifter has zero influence on whether a bike will manually shift or not, if it wont shift out of neutral  there is some other issue besides the quick-shifter.  The QS replaces the factory shift rod, did you get the rod length correct?  did you change the orientation on the upper shift actuating arm at all?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***