Front sprocket nut size

I don’t think it’s needed there @Clicknow. It’s not in a weather exposed area, you won’t be taking it off very regularly and it actually affects the torque tightening value. Not a problem if you want to, but no need either.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I would think that adding grease to any fastener would affect the torque value.  With lubricant in place the nut would turn past the point where it would normally reach torque and run the risk of damaging or stripping threads.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

9 hours ago, Clicknow said:

Hi, is it the right thing to do and add copper grease to the sprocket nut,thread

regards graham

No no no no grease!

That nut is staked and really should not be reused. Yamaha also calls for loctite on it, IIRC. 
-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, skipperT said:

No no no no grease!

That nut is staked and really should not be reused. Yamaha also calls for loctite on it, IIRC. 
-Skip

100% concur.   I was shocked to find that the nut was barely finger tight on mine, and had moved about 20 degrees from the factory staked location.  I didn’t even need a wrench, and just spun the nut off by hand...  yikes!    

Definitely use a new nut.  It’s cheap and safe insurance.   Here’s how mine looked directly off the bike...  no way to even consider reusing that one.  

0042F617-2DDD-4395-8B44-CDA7A8443CFF.thumb.jpeg.efa157c4180185f323e1b70ce37c14a9.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, Clicknow said:

Hi, is it the right thing to do and add copper grease to the sprocket nut,thread

regards graham

Not needed on the nut or threads but anti- seize is a excellent thing to put on the splines. Down the road you won't need a puller to get the sprocket off.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Hi can't seem to find the torque specs for the front sprocket nut,rear axle nut and rear sprocket nuts on my (GT,)would someone kindly point me in the right direction 

many thanks graham

Hi, the manual says the rear axle nut should be torque to 150Nm or 111lb-ft wow ! That is freking tight IMO. I have torque my GT to 95Nm-70lb-ft anyone any  thoughts on this?

regards graham 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, Clicknow said:

Hi, the manual says the rear axle nut should be torque to 150Nm or 111lb-ft wow ! thoughts on this?

Like a lot of things in the manual - DISREGARD and use common sense instead. 

I have never used a torque wrench on the axle nut.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, Clicknow said:

Hi, the manual says the rear axle nut should be torque to 150Nm or 111lb-ft wow ! That is freking tight IMO. I have torque my GT to 95Nm-70lb-ft anyone any  thoughts on this?

regards graham 

I also find this to be quite a bit of torque.  I always use a torque wrench when tightening fasteners when a torque value is available.  But, 111 foot pounds is a lot for an axle nut.  I worked in QC for a major auto maker for 28 years and there is a lot of thought and science that goes into determining a torque value for a given fastener.  But to be honest, I set my wrench at 95 foot pounds for the rear axle nut and call it good. 

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.