Argument with a deer........

On 7/22/2020 at 6:32 AM, com3 said:

were you knocked unconcious at all?  that's a LONG looking face slide witout making any effort to lift your face off the ground.  

glad you're relatively alright!  also, i'm currently in NC as well. i'm surprised by how few deer there are out here. I saw 2 on a 450 mile ride yesterday....prior to that, in the 4k miles or so i've been riding out here in the BR mountains, i'd only seen ONE.

Having done a couple long slides in my day (lowside at 120 yo!) if you're sliding on your face or the back of your head, that's good, and you don't want to lift it up unless you're getting all the way though the helmet.  If anything, transfer some weight to your helmet, away from other parts of your body, depending on gear.  

Because one thing helmets are very good at is abrasion resistance.  Way better than leather, or textile.  And the helmet is done after the accident no matter what, so preserving it has no real value.  May as well use it as a slider, and spend less of that sliding time as a crayon.  

Road rash sucks...  Less so because of the injury itself, and more so because of how horrible it is when they clean it.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Road rash sucks...  Less so because of the injury itself, and more so because of how horrible it is when they clean it.

Nothing like taking a pitcher of water to bed with you so you can soak the sheets in the morning , when the road rash sticks to them.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Nothing like taking a pitcher of water to bed with you so you can soak the sheets in the morning , when the road rash sticks to them.

Years ago I had a buddy who was out riding his bike on a hot day in a T-Shirt and crashed.  The attending nurse took no mercy on him, covered his arm in iodine and started cleaning the gravel out of his arm with a nylon scrub brush. 😲

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Bitch!  He suffered enough and hopefully learned his lesson, and her procedure was totally contrary to proper practice, and dangerous.

Last time I had a bit of road rash was on my face!  I got taken out on my bicycle by another bicyclist.  He cut in on me and his rear derailleur broke 9 of my front wheels spokes, so it banana'd and jambed to a immediate stop in the forks.  I consequently endo'd over the bars, luckily my clipless shoes released (why do they call them clipless?).  I was doing 18 mph and flew about 10 feet forward.  I outstretched my left arm but I still face-planted.  I was wearing an old Joe Rocket nylon super vented motorcycle jacket (it was January 1, 2007) which got abraded on the sleeves pretty good.  My Bell helmet EPS liner split in half but my big riding glasses saved my eye socket but not my nose which got broke for the 4th time.  My knees were rug burned but my winter Triflex tights did not even tear.  I suffered a torn left elbow tendons and left rotator cuff, a concussion (without the Bell I wouldn't be relating this incident), the discs at C5/6 in my neck and L4/5 in my lower back were ruptured (L4/5 has since slipped 10 mm), and the aforementioned facial road rash.  My wife came and got me and my bicycle.  When I walked into the ER, a RN happened to be standing at the admitting desk and rushed me into a triage room so as not to upset others waiting to be seen.

I'm having L3~5 done this fall (decompression and fusing L4/5), as my sciatica constant pain prevents me from walking much more than 15 feet when my leg goes numb but I'm still waiting on C5/6 (nerve ablation, steroidal epidurals, dry needling / acupuncture and PT have not been much help) but Celebrex, Acetaminophen and Cymbalta have been a life saver.  I had my the left shoulder done in 2010 (which the doc F/U) and I tore the right rotator cuff stupidly during recovery of the left.  The elbow tendons healed but flair up occasionally.  The A-hole who took me out somehow tried to blame me but I sued his ass (his auto policy!) and won but the money hasn't covered my medical bills.  All this because I was peddling for better health!  In almost 50 years riding motorcycles I never came close to being hurt that bad (knock on plastic)!

Crash 3.jpg

Front Whl 1.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

@2and3cylinders - The things we do to ride on 2 wheels... 😄 

Every time I have hurt myself riding, my motivation for healing is always to get right back on 2 wheels again.😎👍

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, betoney said:

@2and3cylinders - The things we do to ride on 2 wheels... 😄 

Every time I have hurt myself riding, my motivation for healing is always to get right back on 2 wheels again.😎👍

Yep, me too.  I've heard "Are you outta your f'n mind?!?!" to "Right on, Dude...keep on movin'!" and everything in between.

We humans did this to ourselves...we made motorcycles so damned much FUN.

• Like 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)