Argument with a deer........

4 hours ago, com3 said:

were you knocked unconcious at all?  that's a LONG looking face slide witout making any effort to lift your face off the ground.  

All that damage was fm initial impact/slide, in one second, before bouncing and then rolling for what seemed like a very long time. It happened so fast... there is no making an 'effort' to lift face off ground. Most injuries related to the rolling and bouncing after impact/slide. 

20200624_212228.jpg

Edited by Jon B
  • Thumbsup 1

7 minutes ago, Jon B said:

All that damage was fm initial impact/slide, in one second, before bouncing and then rolling for what seemed like a very long time. It happened so fast... there is no making an 'effort' to lift face off ground. Most injuries related to the rolling and bouncing after impact/slide. 

i've had some big offs....  my fastest crash was around 122-123 miles per hour (highside)... i slid 140 feet before hitting the dirt (and i counted 3 sky/grounds) and eventually coming to a stop.  zero damage to my lid.

one crash i had, where i highsided at about 75-78 mph and was FULLY catapulted into the air (about 11-12 feet according to the rider i was passing when i did it), i did a front flip, ending up sliding on my butt, feet first, with my arms keeping me upright....until my bike speared me in the back (broke my back and ribs in the impact, plus the whiplash was pretty severe) smashing me, cartwheeling me, and then landing on top of me again while still sliding and staying on top of me until coming to a stop...  the only damage to my helmet was on the back, when i simply couldn't hold my head up any longer while sliding because my neck was so weak ...then i just gave up and layed my head back and let my helmet drag as i slid...  and even that damage looks like a nick in the paint compared to the face of your helmet...  

that's why i ask... and also because bilt isn't notorious for being of high quality....so i'm wondering if the thermoplastic/polycorbonate is the cultprit for such extensive damage...

i'm in no way attacking or minimizing anything you have to say....just searching for data.

• Premium Member

Com3, unless you were racing, WTF were you crashing at +120, now 80 yeh but you almost bought it with no major head trauma.

Tests have shown that DOT only helmets may do better when multiple smaller knocks happen.  Initial facial impact with an EPS chin liner may not vary significantly or apply in this incident whether DOT, Snell, ECE or Sharp standard.  The ability of ABS, PC, PVC to resist abrasion is well documented, and like thermoset composites, is determined by pressure, thickness, speed and friction coefficient.  Apparently his Bilt helmet had enough thickness to do the job asked of it.  

• Thumbsup 2

11 minutes ago, com3 said:

that's why i ask... and also because bilt isn't notorious for being of high quality....so i'm wondering if the thermoplastic/polycorbonate is the cultprit for such extensive damage...

i'm in no way attacking or minimizing anything you have to say....just searching for data.

(shrug) Bilt is perfectly acceptable helmet, did the job of protected my head/face as designed. The damage to the helmet is due hard impact to road, and RF1200 wouldn't have done substantially better, and it, too, would be due for replacement. I'm walking and glad for it. When I bought the Bilt, I was in the market for a new helmet.. seeing best of about $500~ or so.... after a long day of riding stopped at Cycle Gear with a friend to visit. I thought I'd get a new visor, but instead found that el cheapo Bilt on sale and bought it. Felt great, quieter than old helmet. Two weeks later, hit deer. 

I think I'll buy another one, along with a new jacket.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

This is hard to believe but I didn't ride to breakfast this morning because it was too stinking humid and hot here in PA. So I took the truck, I stop at a traffic light half a mile from the house and a dam Bambi ran into the side of the truck.🤣

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
Just now, roadrash83 said:

This is hard to believe but I didn't ride to breakfast this morning because it was too stinking humid and hot here in PA. So I to the truck, I stop at a traffic light half a mile from the house and a dam Bambi ran into the side of the truck.🤣

They're not too bright.  

32 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

We had more deer until they stopped shooting the coyotes...

I am all in favor of coyote shooting - they're hard on deer, fawns, turkey, and out-compete foxes (I like foxes). 

A few years ago I was in climber, hunting... I hear a deer. Readied... and out came a doe, moving at nervous walk, stopping... I didn't shoot, as it was rut, and I wanted something bigger. A minute later from same direction I hear crunch crunch crunch... oh boy, I'm thinking here come the big guy - raised rifle, and out comes a coyote, low-crawling... he was stalking the doe. Being a gentleman, I let her walk, and shot the coyote. 

coyote.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

The reason they stopped shooting coyote was because the deer herds were getting too large but people made a stink about culling the deer.  First they tried relocating the deer but it was too expensive and the hunters complained.  Even with the coyote there are more than enough deer during season.  Turkeys, raccoons, opossum, pheasants, etc are friggin a nightmare too for motorcyclists.  Foxed are rare or smart enough to stay out of sight, and coyotes keep to themselves.  The suburbanites and even now in Chicago complain about coyotes, they've adapted and do well but scare people.  The suburbanites complain about the deer too but love Bambi's regardless.

3 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The reason they stopped shooting coyote was because the deer herds were getting too large but people made a stink about culling the deer.  First they tried relocating the deer but it was too expensive and the hunters complained.  Even with the coyote there are more than enough deer during season.  Turkeys, raccoons, opossum, pheasants, etc are friggin a nightmare too for motorcyclists.  Foxed are rare or smart enough to stay out of sight, and coyotes keep to themselves.  The suburbanites and even now in Chicago complain about coyotes, they've adapted and do well but scare people.  The suburbanites complain about the deer too but love Bambi's regardless.

Pheasants and badgers and foxes on the roads here are the main thing,  deer as well, but pheasants, man they are everywhere.
Not even legal to bow hunt them , or I'd carry a bow with me on the bike.

• Premium Member

Badgers, we don't need no stinkin badgers...

Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey our national bird!  I'm glad they went with the Bald Eagle, as turkeys are the stupidious animals, wouldn't have reflected well on us, and we need no help in that regard with our world reputation.

I've had many bird strikes and thankfully never a large 4-legged, furry type.  I got hit doing 60 by a huge crane, it had a wingspan over 7 feet!  Not good eating after it finally went down.  I stayed on because I ducked behind my Givi barndoor, though it spun the mirror extender around an broke the rocker switch on the left pod.  I saw it take off from the ditch and could do nothing, looked like a Pterodactyl in flight. 

I hit some bird of prey that had prolly 3-1/2+ foot span and it hurt like hell, bruised me good.  Smaller birds explode in a cloud of feathers.  They all must have it out for me.  Turkeys lay in wait for me and cross the road just as I ride by.  We have these insane peacock-pheasant mongrels that are like Kamikazes.  Some crazy Frenchman brought them over in the late 1700s to try to breed them like turkeys.  Don't ask me why.  Apparently he got killed and the peacocks go loose and bred with anything they could.  They don't fly well but somehow get up high enough to dive-bomb while making a terrifying shriek.

We have huge Snapping Turtles that are scary as heck when your heading right at em.  Pigmy Rattlesnakes and huge King Blacksnakes too.  I had one of those chase me and a buddy when we were playing pirate in the woods after the original Treasure Island movie came out.  We saw a hole in the far side of the embankment along the creek.  We thought it would be fun to pee in it.  Suddenly this big black head came up.  It had yellow eyes and closed a clear set of eyelids while our pee dribbled off its head.  It came after us, I swear, and we ran as fast as our little legs could carry us.  He was pretty fast but gave up after 30 feet or so.  Never was so scared in my life, and like Indiana Jones, I forever onward have hated and feared snakes!  True story.

• Haha 2

I remember years ago my boss was driving in his old rubbish porsche and hit a pheasant at 50mph, it came right through the windscreen and broke his shoulder.

How we laughed :)

You have some scary wildlife there.

• Premium Member

It makes me recall The report from British aerospace when they were testing the New cockpit windscreen for 1 of the airbuses. When they got to the bird Strike phase of the testing they kept having a failure with complete penetration into the cockpit. They had been following the Prescribed procedure from NASA And Despite all their assessment efforts Couldn't get a successful result.They were firing a chicken At the windscreen from an air canon With disastrous results. They prepared to detailed report on their Lack of progress and sent it to NASA in the United States.

They received a 3 letter recommendation from NASA as follows "Thaw the bird".  Apparently They were Firing a frozen chicken.

• Haha 2