Need some support

So, after many years of crawling around on the ground to work on my bikes, my wife finally let me buy a motorcycle lift table (Handy S.A.M 1200). It showed up yesterday afternoon and I immediately set it up, installed the wheel vise and put my Tracer on it to test it out. Handy's paperwork says the bike must be supported by something other than just the wheel vise, but when I tried strapping it down by placing the straps just inside of the grips and controls on to the handlebars and down to the table it was too narrow and I was concerned about it squeezing the plastic bits too much and possibly damaging them, so I wound up strapping to the passenger pegs mounts and going rearward to the back of the table which should be fine until I want the rear tire in the air for maintenance. Any suggestions for supporting it at the front end? 

Won’t it be stable enough on the centre stand, as that is what it was designed for?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

@koth442 thanks, I'll try that. Do you not use the wheel chock at all?

@BBB I can put it on the center stand on the lift, but I was concerned about it tipping over by accident and was wanting suggestions on extra support whiole the table is in the air.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, showmerider said:

So, after many years of crawling around on the ground to work on my bikes, my wife finally let me buy a motorcycle lift table (Handy S.A.M 1200). It showed up yesterday afternoon and I immediately set it up, installed the wheel vise and put my Tracer on it to test it out. Handy's paperwork says the bike must be supported by something other than just the wheel vise, but when I tried strapping it down by placing the straps just inside of the grips and controls on to the handlebars and down to the table it was too narrow and I was concerned about it squeezing the plastic bits too much and possibly damaging them, so I wound up strapping to the passenger pegs mounts and going rearward to the back of the table which should be fine until I want the rear tire in the air for maintenance. Any suggestions for supporting it at the front end? 

You can attach these to one of the bolts on the lower triple clamp pinch bolts as a tie down point.

s-l400.png

STRAP RING MOOSE RACING. STRAP RINGS. Condition: New. Item...

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My dealer puts it on the centre stand and just clamps the front wheel and lifts the table. No problems ever.

Yamaha (again) extra cautious?

Edited by Fleng

9 hours ago, betoney said:

You can attach these to one of the bolts on the lower triple clamp pinch bolts as a tie down point.

s-l400.png

I use soft ties to the lower triple but those are interesting.

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, betoney said:

s-l400.png

Very clever.  I think I’m going to order several pairs of those...  makes sense to use on all of the bikes.  

• Thumbsup 1

I also have a handy lift.  I use canyon dancers and loosely strap my bike with tie downs. Of course I leave on side stand 99% of the time when on lift also.  I don’t squeeze the front wheel much with the vice but just enough For support.   Canyon dancer works on almost all bikes.   After the lift is up then use the kicking bar and you will see the bike is stable.  I guess I left out the fact I use the side extensions if that matters.  

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Very clever.  I think I’m going to order several pairs of those...  makes sense to use on all of the bikes.  

I bought 3 pair for my cargo net on the rear seat.

image.thumb.png.a8646abbd83c95e6fdc8e879994a11ac.png

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, betoney said:

s-l400.png

Are they good for towing, too? I run the hooks from the rear over the lower triple clamp and hook onto the front/bottom with my tie downs. These would be a LOT easier, but there's more force bouncing in the back of a pick up.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

Are they good for towing, too? I run the hooks from the rear over the lower triple clamp and hook onto the front/bottom with my tie downs. These would be a LOT easier, but there's more force bouncing in the back of a pick up.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'towing'.  In the photo above you can kind of see their size, they are only as strong as the bolt that attaches them to the bike.  I would have no issue using them front and rear as tie-down points for hauling a bike in a pick-up.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'towing'.  In the photo above you can kind of see their size, they are only as strong as the bolt that attaches them to the bike.  I would have no issue using them front and rear as tie-down points for hauling a bike in a pick-up.

Bad choice of words. Just got off a 24. Thanks. You answered my question. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, showmerider said:

@koth442 thanks, I'll try that. Do you not use the wheel chock at all?

Correct, I do not use a wheel chock or tie downs generally, unless I'm REALLY cranking on something, like motormounts or swing-arm mounts. 

'15 FJ09