Tire Swap, Now Brake Grabs?

hammer

Hey gang,

I'm stumped. Changed out the rear tire, chain, and both sprockets. All that went fine...until it came to mounting tire.

The rear brake is grabbing enough that walking the bike is a chore, but when riding, I have no rear brake at all. I didn't change the pads, or touch anything back there at all. Fellow rider said to ride it and it will sort itself out..but it didn't. 

The pads are in the correct position, so I'm at a loss. What am I missing/did wrong?

Cheers!

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, hammer said:

Hey gang,

I'm stumped. Changed out the rear tire, chain, and both sprockets. All that went fine...until it came to mounting tire.

The rear brake is grabbing enough that walking the bike is a chore, but when riding, I have no rear brake at all. I didn't change the pads, or touch anything back there at all. Fellow rider said to ride it and it will sort itself out..but it didn't. 

The pads are in the correct position, so I'm at a loss. What am I missing/did wrong?

Look at the pads in the caliper, are both pads in the slot on the front of the brake carrier? 

This only takes 2-3 minutes and can be done without removing the wheel.  Remove the 2 bolts holding the rear caliper and wiggle the caliper off of the carrier, the pads should be hanging on by the rear with a slide pin.  Hold the pads up into the caliper and re-seat the pads onto the notches on the carrier - there is only one way to do it and they are either in or they aren't.  Install the 2 mount bolts and pump the rear brake and try again.

While the caliper is off of the carrier you could pump the brake pedal to make sure the piston is moving, you will have to pry the pads apart to get them to fit over the rotor.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Look at the pads in the caliper, are both pads in the slot on the front of the brake carrier?

As @betoney suggested, this is probably your problem. It’s very easy to miss the front slots.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I checked, and double checked, the pads are in the correct spot.

Someone had mentioned, that since the rear brake was depressed while the tire was off, that I need to bleed the brakes...ugh

Cheers!

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, hammer said:

I checked, and double checked, the pads are in the correct spot.

Someone had mentioned, that since the rear brake was depressed while the tire was off, that I need to bleed the brakes...ugh

Not true, the only way that could happen is if you pumped the brake pedal enough to eject the piston and the system filled with air.

When you pump the brakes, the fluid from the reservoir fills the caliper, when you push the piston back into the caliper the fluid returns to the reservoir, its a closed system.

EDIT **additionally** how does the pedal feel? is it firm or spongey?  A quick bleed (not a flush) literally takes a minute to check for air bubbles and wont hurt to verify.

• Thumbsup 1

4 minutes ago, betoney said:

Not true, the only way that could happen is if you pumped the brake pedal enough to eject the piston and the system filled with air.

When you pump the brakes, the fluid from the reservoir fills the caliper, when you push the piston back into the caliper the fluid returns to the reservoir, its a closed system.

EDIT **additionally** how does the pedal feel? is it firm or spongey?  A quick bleed (not a flush) literally takes a minute to check for air bubbles and wont hurt to verify.

Brake is non-existent. When riding today, I bottomed out and there was no grab at all. 

I think I was looking at the rear when everything was off and leaned and hit the brake pedal. After some swearing, ii was able to push the pistons out... Blah blah blah.

So a brake bleed, (not a flush) is in order?

Cheers!

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, hammer said:

Brake is non-existent. When riding today, I bottomed out and there was no grab at all. 

I think I was looking at the rear when everything was off and leaned and hit the brake pedal. After some swearing, ii was able to push the pistons out... Blah blah blah.

So a brake bleed, (not a flush) is in order?

I cant understand how bumping the pedal or even pumping it several times deliberately would result in zero pedal feel.  How is the fluid level in the reservoir?

Like I said, a quick bleed to check for air bubbles just takes a minute.  Are you familiar with the procedure?

10 minutes ago, betoney said:

I cant understand how bumping the pedal or even pumping it several times deliberately would result in zero pedal feel.  How is the fluid level in the reservoir?

Like I said, a quick bleed to check for air bubbles just takes a minute.  Are you familiar with the procedure?

Yeah, I have done it before. 

Fluid level is tits full. Backed off the cap when I pushed the piston out...sigh. I should be riding, not wrenching... Such is life

Cheers!

• Supporting Member
Just now, hammer said:

Yeah, I have done it before. 

Fluid level is tits full. Backed off the cap when I pushed the piston out...sigh. I should be riding, not wrenching... Such is life

Hopefully it a simple fix, if the reservoir is full and your pedal is dead, then you have a system full of air, how that happened is anybodys guess, luckily bleeding the system just takes a minute - watch your fluid level while you bleed it!!

2 minutes ago, koth442 said:

If there's supposed to be a picture, I can't see it. 

If there's not supposed to be a picture, a picture would help us help you. 

No pic, I will try for one later.

Cheers!

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, hammer said:

So bled this am...and didn't help at all. You can see the piston sticking out mm's, but enough to engage. 

Now I'm stumped...

When you crack open the bleed port and pump the pedal, you are getting a constant flow of fluid with no air bubbles?  - I'm trying to determine a positive flow from the reservoir through the MC to the caliper.

With the caliper off the bike, if you pump the pedal, does the piston extend?  Remove the brake pads and put a flat piece of wood or a flat bar in the caliper, if you pump the brake does the piston extend enough to hold the piece of wood or flat bar tight - simulating the rotor.  Using the flat bar can you easily push/pull the piston back into the caliper?

Assuming that fluid is flowing through the system to the bleed port and the piston is moving freely in and out of the caliper, then I too am stumped.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, hammer said:

The rear brake is grabbing enough that walking the bike is a chore, but when riding, I have no rear brake at all.

This is the confusing part, the wheel is hard to turn yet you have zero brake pedal feel.

With the bike up on the center stand can you move the wheel by hand?  If you remove the caliper from the brake carrier does the wheel suddenly free up or is it still hard to rotate?

• Thumbsup 1