Tire Swap, Now Brake Grabs?

hammer

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, FJ29ER said:

Not sure if my posts are being seen.

But if you go back to look at what @texscottyd posted on page 2 you can clearly see the head of the bolt that holds the lower slide pin, you cant see yours at all.

Seen, and noted.  

25 minutes ago, FJ29ER said:

But if you go back to look at what @texscottyd posted on page 2 you can clearly see the head of the bolt that holds the lower slide pin, you cant see yours at all.

same here, he has not responded to my posts either. it seems like a caliper mounting issue since he said only part of the pads are touching the rotor, so.......

27 minutes ago, FJ29ER said:

Hey Tex, 

Yeah I saw your post. Because I'm doing this on my phone, it's hard to check and quote all the messages. The pic I posted was with the bolt out completely. The caliper was just sitting there for demo purposes. 

The sleeve for the bolt is in.

Same Trevor, I am reading all the posts (I want to be riding not wrenching) but it's hard for me to quote multiple quotes. Don't worry, they're not going unnoticed/unread.

I greatly appreciated the help/advice and guidance.

Edited by hammer
  • Thumbsup 1
Cheers!

23 minutes ago, trevinator said:

same here, he has not responded to my posts either. it seems like a caliper mounting issue since he said only part of the pads are touching the rotor, so.......

Yea I think a possible mechanical issue with the installation needs to be worked out before going to hydraulic issue. But unless he pushed the piston completely out on the original push of the brake pedal with the caliper unmounted then idk how it magically got messed up.

• Thumbsup 1

1 minute ago, FJ29ER said:

Yea I think a possible mechanical issue with the installation needs to be worked out before going to hydraulic issue. But unless he pushed the piston completely out on the original push of the brake pedal with the caliper unmounted then idk how it magically got messed up.

i think its how the caliper is mounted. either with a bent bolt or cross threaded bracket, or a bent bracket. either way, the pads should be sitting flush on the rotor, not just the top of the left side and bottom of the right side touching. that means the caliper is not parallel to the rotor somehow.

• Thumbsup 2

37 minutes ago, trevinator said:

i think its how the caliper is mounted. either with a bent bolt or cross threaded bracket, or a bent bracket. either way, the pads should be sitting flush on the rotor, not just the top of the left side and bottom of the right side touching. that means the caliper is not parallel to the rotor somehow.

Yea I saw that...but was the bolt not installed like he said...and i do notice the caliper sitting crooked in the last picture?. But not sure if its just the photo or not. Cant be sure until steps are followed.

Edited by FJ29ER

10 hours ago, hammer said:

Taken tonight. Pulled pads apart, and hit pedal and release. Definitely see a gap on left side bottom and right side top.

IMG_20200604_235451.jpg

IMG_20200604_235425.jpg

i also see a mark on the wheel from where the pads were scraping it, which is definitely not supposed to happen. have you put a straight edge across the face of the rotor to rule out that its not bent? i put arrows to the silver bushing that should be on your rear caliper. is it possible that the silver bushing is missing in your bike, or if its there, that the rubber is on the end of it tilting the caliper? also put a photo of how to check the rotor to see if its bent. just make sure the straight edge doesnt go over the bolt heads since they are proud of the rotor face.

020_LI.jpg

022.jpg

9 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Where is the disc side wheel spacer? It looks like it is missing in the last photo?

Thats the abs sensor you are seeing. I thought the same thing at first as well. axle is below that. can barely see it.

But something just seems off about the back/lower slider sleeve install. Like its missing or not installed correctly.

Were the pads ever removed and does the caliper slide side to side freely? The rubber boot ends should be sitting in the groove like the above posted picture with the red arrows.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, trevinator said:

i also see a mark on the wheel from where the pads were scraping it, which is definitely not supposed to happen. have you put a straight edge across the face of the rotor to rule out that its not bent? i put arrows to the silver bushing that should be on your rear caliper. is it possible that the silver bushing is missing in your bike, or if its there, that the rubber is on the end of it tilting the caliper? also put a photo of how to check the rotor to see if its bent. just make sure the straight edge doesnt go over the bolt heads since they are proud of the rotor face.

020_LI.jpg

022.jpg

Checking off straightness with a square on the grass in the yard, blasphemy or maybe heresy. He already had an engineer check this and now here you come with whatever it is that you are trying to do. How can you tell if it’s straight when doing it the way you show? 

• Haha 2