Tire Swap, Now Brake Grabs?

hammer

I would be amazed how a big chunk of cast aluminum that probably barely sees over 150 degrees would warp... 

As Long as it's sitting correctly against the swing arm.. Which it should because it's two big flat faces unless something is in between them then idk. It looks to obviously have been going on for a little while.

Bike get dropped or hit? I don't really see any big marks. But it would be bending inward not outward. 

Does the caliper slide freely with the pads out like I've asked multiple times? 

With pads out and you push the pedal ever so slightly does the piston move? Can you push piston back in with a pair of pliers? Or is it solid? 

But as I said if everything looks to be fine which in the pics it looks to be correct but the caliper is still crooked it seems then send it to someone who can put there hands on it. 

I think you've exhausted the forums help honestly. 

• Thumbsup 1

Maybe you drag the rear brake when you ride or are very aggressive on them and it warped it. It definitely would get really hot, it’s like a heat sink for the caliper since it’s aluminum and it’s definitely a possibility. I’m going out to ride and I’m going to beat the s... out of the rear brake and shoot it with my thermo gun to see how hot it gets. I’m just going to put it here with the edit....265 F is what I got. That’s after braking with rear only many times then jumping off and shooting the aluminum holding the caliper. I didn’t drag the brakes but I’m sure if I did it would get much hotter. Just asking but can’t aluminum have a hair line crack invisible to the naked 👁? 

Edited by Toddtr

6 hours ago, FJ29ER said:

Does the caliper slide freely with the pads out like I've asked multiple times? 

With pads out and you push the pedal ever so slightly does the piston move? Can you push piston back in with a pair of pliers? Or is it solid?

this. i also want to know if the mounting bolts for the caliper are bent or maybe cross threaded in the mount. or maybe a wheel bearing went out, or the rotor is bent.

• Supporting Member

@hammer... I am in Mississauga and could pop in to compare and for reference measurements if you'd like. Brake parts that is...

Today (06/06) afternoon works for me... or tomorrow sometime.

• Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

4 minutes ago, piotrek said:

@hammer... I am in Mississauga and could pop in to compare and for reference measurements if you'd like. Brake parts that is...

Yes!!! Anytime today. PM sent with phone.

Edited by hammer
Cheers!

1 hour ago, trevinator said:

this. i also want to know if the mounting bolts for the caliper are bent or maybe cross threaded in the mount. or maybe a wheel bearing went out, or the rotor is bent.

I had a weird one once that if you tightened the rear mounting bolt it would drag the brake and cause it to be unaligned, but if the bolt was loosened an 1/8 to 1/4 turn it would be fine. Bolt was just slightly bent, but kinked everything the wrong way when tightened. 
Good suggestion. 
-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Maybe you drag the rear brake when you ride or are very aggressive on them and it warped it. It definitely would get really hot, it’s like a heat sink for the caliper since it’s aluminum and it’s definitely a possibility. I’m going out to ride and I’m going to beat the s... out of the rear brake and shoot it with my thermo gun to see how hot it gets. I’m just going to put it here with the edit....265 F is what I got. That’s after braking with rear only many times then jumping off and shooting the aluminum holding the caliper. I didn’t drag the brakes but I’m sure if I did it would get much hotter. Just asking but can’t aluminum have a hair line crack invisible to the naked 👁? 

Put your bike on the center stand. Put a brick on the rear brake pedal. Lock it on full Throttle. Start it in let's say 4th gear and let it go. See how hot it gets ya know. For science. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, piotrek said:

Please Be our savior!!! Lol

• Thumbsup 2