Can’t find neutral

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Tripletrouble said:

Never had a bike to be overly critical causing this problem,

This is the first I have heard of this issue, I have had the XSR slipper installed almost 3 years on my '15 and have never needed to adjust it.

Any chance that you use your clutch harder than an average rider? Aggressive riding, racing, high rpm take-offs or clutch-up wheelies?🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

This is the first I have heard of this issue, I have had the XSR slipper installed almost 3 years on my '15 and have never needed to adjust it.

Any chance that you use your clutch harder than an average rider? Aggressive riding, racing, high rpm take-offs or clutch-up wheelies?🤷‍♀️

Hi. That’s good news. I ride fast ish, but I don’t race or power wheelie. I bought this s/h with just 3000. On the clock. Makes you wonder if it was a loan bike and someone abused it. I asked the question initially as there can be a common problem that rears it’s head with new bikes, and as it was first year for slipper clutch on this model I (didn’t realise it was on XSR previously) so thought that might be the case. Seems not. I ride fast ish, but I don’t race or power wheelie. I’ll pop it apart next week, see if I can see anything amiss. I’ll update you when I find the answer. Thanks, keep safe. 

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Like 1

I’ve tidied this thread by hiding the posts that seem to be just arguing. If anyone involved wants them reinstating, contact me with a message.

• Thumbsup 5
  • Thanks 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

5 hours ago, Tripletrouble said:

I’ve found the problem, none of the above, but it’s sorted. 

Good to hear... can you provide some insight so that we can reference the fix in case this issue pops up again.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can find neutral, but when on the centre stand, putting it in gear to oil the chain, the wheel immediately rotates as if the clutch is not disengaging all the way. It is a 2020 Tracer 900 GT with 12,000 Km. I was a motorcycle mechanic in the 70's but there was no such thing as a slipper clutch then. Cable free play is set as per the manual. Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch elsewhere. 

We used to have a set screw and nut at the end of the clutch push rod that you could adjust. Just wondering if there's something similar. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Falta CZ said:

I can find neutral, but when on the centre stand, putting it in gear to oil the chain, the wheel immediately rotates as if the clutch is not disengaging all the way. It is a 2020 Tracer 900 GT with 12,000 Km. I was a motorcycle mechanic in the 70's but there was no such thing as a slipper clutch then. Cable free play is set as per the manual. Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch elsewhere. 

We used to have a set screw and nut at the end of the clutch push rod that you could adjust. Just wondering if there's something similar. 

It has nothing to do with a slipper clutch, its simply clutch drag when the motor is cold, it usually goes away after a minute while warming the bike up.

The new clutch cable works very similar to how they did when you were a mechanic in the 70's with an adjuster at both end of the cable, coarse adjustment at the motor end and fine adjustment at the handlebar.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
42 minutes ago, Falta CZ said:

Thanks so there's only a cable adjustment, no set screw and lock nut on the engine.

When you look at the lower end of the cable where it is mounted on the engine case you will see the adjustment, though I wouldn't think you need to adjust anything down there, it sounds like your clutch is working correctly.

When you install a new cable, set the lower adjuster to fully loose and make all of the adjustment at the top adjuster, if you have adjusted all of the slack out of the top adjuster and find yourself needing to adjust on the lower one, then your cable is probably stretched.