• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Best Tires in 2020

It's a difficult subject. One can read as many tire tests and reviews as one can find, the real proof is in testing them yourself.

Unfortunately, that is also a very expensive path. The best thing would be for tire manufacturers to organise testing days where you can test tires on your own bike. But I guess that will not happen anytime soon because it would be very expensive for the manufacturers.

I will try the Roadsmart 3. I'm willing to take the gamble. If it improves my confidence in the bike it is worth it. If it doesn't help, I'll still have my Michelins with only 2500 kilometres on them so I can switch back. And maybe sell the Roadsmart.

I'm just about willing to try anything to improve driving before I trade the Tracer for something else.

(I did recently try a 1200GS and a F850GS adventure. For everyone its own, but I don't get why everybody is so enthusiastic about those bikes...)

9 hours ago, betoney said:

I have heard several people mention that the RS3 were harder to mount - due to the stiffer sidewall?  I have never tried either tire but what he said makes sense if the Michelin have a soft sidewall construction.  It will be really interesting to hear your finding by just swapping tire

I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Michiel900GT
Typo
  • Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, betoney said:

I have heard several people mention that the RS3 were harder to mount - due to the stiffer sidewall?  I have never tried either tire but what he said makes sense if the Michelin have a soft sidewall construction.  It will be really interesting to hear your finding by just swapping tires.

I know Clay a guy I chase when riding at meets, LOL! He said the RS2 rear was very stiff and he didn't have any problems mounting the RS3 rear. The fronts for both were OK also. He hasn't tried Michelin tires yet. He rides a 2005 VMax Gen1 with different rims so he runs radials now. I had a hard enough time keeping up with him when he was on bias ply tires. I can keep up now for 10 - 15 minutes but after that i back off. Focus, focus, focus and it fades quick when you push it that hard. 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Assess the roads you ride on, if its all tarred surface then most road tyre treads and compositions are much of a muchness but if you think dirt or mud might come into it then the profile count heaps, especially mud. l find the prill shaped stones in the Australian snowy mountains can be a challenge fully loaded so caution is required with braking but out in central Australia its a dusty rock mix but add water and it becomes as greasey as a butchers prick so a little tyre grooving is required.. with cuts across the centre surface to assist with paddling when its really slippery. Sometimes l found it easier to go engine off on the downhills so l can get both feet on the ground and use front brake and engaged gear clutch to control both wheels. Thats why l ride light Tracers compared to my harley riding days. 

l love going in comfort so l welded up a larger rear rack that take beds, coolers, cooking gear, tent, bedding etc oh and a pressure shower (best camping gizmo going because you can hide down beside your bike and tub up, oh and rince pots and plates off too). Last years ride to Phillip Island was via Ayers Rock so gear is needed and a good cooler for ice cold beer is a must.. you gotta be comfy when you strike different weather patterns. Thats why swags and hammocks don't cut it when its pissing down or blowing a wet gale. l had to remove the factory rear indicator and plate holder because it was shaking cracks in my licence plate and simply made a more solid bracket which is more tucked away better.

@Michiel900GT Here is the rear on mine, so although I don't like them, they clearly have more than enough grip to let me get the bike over as far as I ever need to get. The rain grip feels vague to me, although I have tried some hard braking to try them out and they were fine.

This has over 2000 miles on it...

20200903_151930.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Hey stew

That's getting down to the Nubs I didn't see any chicken strips

Vagueness goes with rain so what can you do

I've got my t31 scrubbed in and they're fine as I know haven't ridden in the rain but they definitely have enough stick for me

I tried the original Roadtech ones, they were competent enough I don't think they were as good as the German tire reviews said and I got about 7,800 miles out of the rear but I often super slab to the exit where the fun begins

• Thumbsup 1

14 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Vagueness goes with rain so what can you do

Aye. We get a LOT of rain here though, so it is more important than dry grip to me. I've had lots of bikes/tyres that gave me plenty feedback on wet roads. I know what you mean, but I think I'll be looking at the Metzeler's that @flyfifer mentioned earlier. Those get great reviews, and I have had some lovely metzelers in the past.
Best I ever had were michelin macadams (crossply I think) on my old FJ1200 in the olden days, man, those were amazing in the wet.

Of course, things may change next week when the bike gets it's suspension upgrade, yeeehaaa!

• Premium Member

Be excited about new suspenders what you going to get?

I've done metzler's for well as long as I've been riding really

Got to love the little blue elephant

I wore Shoei helmets from the very beginning too my first full face the first one they imported into the US on the West Coast see the little modified Shoei visor key next to the elephant

I know I got to change them but that can wait until I get the engine back in my rd400 but I have the old laser 33 chevrons, they are mag wheels but they take tubes but disc front n rear, and self-canceling turn signals

now this is 1976 why can't Yamaha put self canceling turn signals on the fjo9?

There's such a selection of tires these days so sorting out your suspension first is a good idea, play with your gearing I love the 44-15 I put on

20200903_181317.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

11 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Be excited about new suspenders what you going to get?

Fully strip and service forks and Install K-Tech-20 SSK Piston Kit with springs to suit your weight

Replace the stock shock with a K-Tech Razor R Performance shock fully adjustable in preload, compression and rebound

Should be delightful.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Stew said:

Should be delightful.

I love your reserved yet chipper outlook.  :)

It’s gonna be WAY beyond delightful, my friend.  Suspension is hands-down the best money I’ve ever spent on the FJ...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I love your reserved yet chipper outlook.  :)

It’s gonna be WAY beyond delightful, my friend.  Suspension is hands-down the best money I’ve ever spent on the FJ...

Hehehehe, I hope so. There are some roads that I don't enjoy on the bike, too many bumpy bits for the stock suspension and my skinny bod, and that NEEDS to change :)
I haven't enjoyed riding a bike so much in ages, I forgot how much it can make my face hurt from grinning. I was even thinking today about getting it painted in classic Kenny Roberts yellow with the black and white checks. Man, my poor wee wallet is melting.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, Stew said:

Fully strip and service forks and Install K-Tech-20 SSK Piston Kit with springs to suit your weight

Replace the stock shock with a K-Tech Razor R Performance shock fully adjustable in preload, compression and rebound

Should be delightful.

Once they get it installed and set a baseline, test ride it and be critical about the settings before you leave the shop.  If you don't like something, say so, they will change settings for you based on your input.

Once it is dialed in, you are going to LOVE it. 😎

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

How many pounds up should I say stones are you again?!

They better dial down the springs for you they normally go heavier because the Asian boys are maybe heavier than you, all that good us Prime Cut Beef gift of General MacArthur  though you don't get it cuz of mad cow right?

Our current president has been playing with slapping tariffs on motorcycles from Europe it's such a joke because of beef or airplanes or wine I guess if you drink enough wine and you don't have a motorcycle ...

They can go with a lighter oil to just make sure the CST is in the range you need but they should know that right you're Clueless LOL

I had the stock cartridges massaged by Matt with Rebound in both legs and compression in both legs and I love the Razer r

Yeah Scotland is known for rain, when I lived in San Francisco in 73 it rained 60 days straight, I needed a snorkel and my Army Navy rain suit was in tatters

Those were the days, Levi's rolled up over the engineer boots, a bandana around your neck, a bomber jacket and Hefty gloves, and of course my trusty Shoei full face. Saved my life on Memorial Day in the San Bruno mountains 

My 500 Goldstar certainly came through it a wee bit better than I did