Best Tires in 2020

• Supporting Member

@Achilleas and @jdavis - how much off road riding do you do? and is something like a 90/10 street/dirt tire actually THAT effective off road?  I have been thinking about riding some of your thousands of miles of National Forest roads but don't want to have to use a knobby or big block tread as I have to travel a fair amount of highway to reach the forest roads.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 minutes ago, betoney said:

@Achilleas and @jdavis - how much off road riding do you do? and is something like a 90/10 street/dirt tire actually THAT effective off road?  I have been thinking about riding some of your thousands of miles of National Forest roads but don't want to have to use a knobby or big block tread as I have to travel a fair amount of highway to reach the forest roads.

I would like to be more comfortable on the gravel. The Avons have a good rap with the 500x crowd, so I thought I would give them a try. Have seen them on the tarmac and they keep up with my pace.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jdavis said:

Go here to get your tires;

avo_16_tir_tra_dua_spo-rea.jpg

*Super Rich Silica Compound using the very latest compounding...

$309.00 for the set instead of $525.00

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

8 hours ago, tktplz said:

Go here to get your tires;

avo_16_tir_tra_dua_spo-rea.jpg

*Super Rich Silica Compound using the very latest compounding...

$309.00 for the set instead of $525.00

I'll catch the next boat over, as soon as the government eases travel restrictions. 😉

• 1 month later...

So this morning out on a ride around 90km from home I hit something on the road and the rear immediately went flat. Luckily it was a straight road in traffic so only doing around 60km/h.

The tyre can't be saved so tomorrow I have to shell out for a new pair.

I'm still running the stock Dunlops and am leaning towards Michelin Pilot Road 4 as I had them on my Fazer and they felt good but are the 5s better? Worth what is sure to be a difference in price?

I've only done around 9,000km on these tyres so I'm a bit miffed that I have to buy new tyres so soon.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, maximo said:

The problem I have with comparing tires is that I've never spooned on a fresh set of tires when my existing tires were also fresh. So I always end up comparing the outgoing, worn tire to a beautiful new, grippy tire. It's really hard for me to compare for this reason - my memory of the outgoing tire when it was new is tainted by its current subpar performance. 

That being said, I've been happy with the PR and Road 5 series, the BT0x series.

I had the bad luck to compare a relatively new pilot power (single compound) to a pilot road 5(dual compound). Both are good tires. The edge grip on the PR5's is wonderful and I have had great mileage out of PR's in the past. I like the feedback from both and overall prefer the PR5 and they work very well in the wet. My only issue with them is the $$ , I would not have one on now except it was the one in-stock when I got the flat and I had a ride planned for the next day.

crap-s.jpg

new-pr5-s.jpg

1 hour ago, riding_tall said:

I had the bad luck to compare a relatively new pilot power (single compound) to a pilot road 5(dual compound). Both are good tires. The edge grip on the PR5's is wonderful and I have had great mileage out of PR's in the past. I like the feedback from both and overall prefer the PR5 and they work very well in the wet. My only issue with them is the $$ , I would not have one on now except it was the one in-stock when I got the flat and I had a ride planned for the next day.

crap-s.jpg

I wouldn't dump that tyre, I have had several of those punctures in the past and the mushroom plug on the inside works perfectly.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, andz said:

I’m still running the stock Dunlops and am leaning towards Michelin Pilot Road 4 as I had them on my Fazer and they felt good but are the 5s better? Worth what is sure to be a difference in price?

I’ve run both the Michelin PR4 and Road 5 on my FJ, and currently am trying a set of Dunlop RoadSmart 3s.  

Surprisingly, I got significantly more mileage out of the 4 than the 5...  about 6,800 miles vs 5,000 miles.   In both cases the rear was completely shot, but was worn evenly edge-to-edge (no flat spot in the center), and still had good edge grip to the very end of the useful life.  I felt that overall performance and feedback of the Road 5 was only marginally better than the PR4, so I don’t see a reason to pay extra for the 5.   Just my personal experience; your mileage may vary.  :) 

• Thumbsup 2

I called around a dozen shops this morning and got the same answer from all of them: PR4 discontinued.

So I went for the 5s, I got a pair for USD 260/EUR 220/GBP200 including fitting and balancing. I don't know if that's a good price but I was expecting a lot more based on the Googling I did last night.

While the back wheel is off I need to try and get all the chain wax off the sprocket carrier. It's really sticky!

I've been looking at a few "darkside videos" on U-tube after reading about the subject on another topic. Maybe we should all look at putting a rear tyre on our bikes from a Fiat Panda and going for the extra mileage.😄

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, andz said:

So I went for the 5s, I got a pair for USD 260/EUR 220/GBP200 including fitting and balancing. I don't know if that's a good price but I was expecting a lot more based on the Googling I did last night.

Whoa...  Michelin Road 5s for $260 a set?   That is a SMOKING deal.   Congrats.  You're going to love them!

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I don't get it in South Africa they're so cheap?!

I finally mounted my T31.

Talk about Nirvana after I replaced my RS3

They were under 200 shipt

I hurt my freaking already screwed up right shoulder and elbow using my Nomar because I forgot the technique on the rear, which is always tougher, the front went relatively easy and I double checked the rotation was right and then checked again when I was done and Oshit!

I had it flipped around and only 20 minutes Doe!

Hi, just finished a 245 mile ride am ready to mount the Bridgestone T31's.

Did get 9000 out of the Dunlop RS3's.

They did okay. The  RS3 profile seems rounder than the T31's. I like "pointy" profile tires, so hoping the Bridgestones are da bomb......

See ya

bill

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I got a check but I think I got about the same out of my RS3 but they really needed it sooner and I don't know if you saw it when I posted up I was seeing chords on the rear hahaha

The T31 ones are nice any new tires nice I just hope I get the mileage I'm looking for out of them with my new 520 chain and sprockets (2nd set of 520 in 41k) that I put on at the same time I lubed the swing arm and linkage cleaned up the bike rerouted the chain oiler

got to stiffen up the front though in this hot weather, it is like Florida here