Solo Registration Queensland Australia

Hi

I am considering re-registering my Tracer as solo as in Queensland it saves a few hundred dollars. Removing the pillion footpegs presents no dramas however the seat must no be longer than 500mm. This requires the pillion seat to be replaced with something not padded. Has anyone done this and how so? 

cheers

Peter

• Thumbsup 1

I’ve never found a seat cowl for the Tracer. The French Police have one though.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

I find it interesting that registration is cheaper based on passenger capacity. What a strange concept. So what happens if you register it as solo and then convert it back and get caught toting a passenger?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, BBB said:

I’ve never found a seat cowl for the Tracer. The French Police have one though.

If you don’t hear from me for awhile, it’s likely because I was arrested in Paris for trying to steal a seat cowl from a police bike...   

Wish me luck!   

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

If you don’t hear from me for awhile, it’s likely because I was arrested in Paris for trying to steal a seat cowl from a police bike...   

Wish me luck!   

Grab a few, I'm sure they will bring big money in Australia😁

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

keithu

I dont even know if this applies in all Australian states. I know it saves a couple of hundred dollars in Qld. Don t know how familiar you are with vehicle registration in Australia. We have two components you pay for. One is the government charge, the other is called third party insurance to cover injury to someone else involved. The reduction in what we call third party insurance is obvious as there is no third party on the bike (that is passenger) so the risk for the insurance company is reduced. As per the reduction in registration cost, I am unsure as to how that applies. Maybe less wear on the road surface due to reduced weight on the bike 😉

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, jdavis said:

Most locals just do the footpegs and leave the seat alone. The paperwork is all you have to show at the rego office.

I see you are almost a neighbour. I am out near Warwick. Although the law here in Qld states the seat mod must be done as well it appears from what you are saying is that most people ignore that and dont get caught. I think that the seat mod is unnecessary as noone is going to ride pillion on  a Tracer without footpegs anyway. Or if they are the sort of person who would I wouldn't have them on the back of my bike anyway. Seems cowls are as rare as rocking horse shit, especially in Australia, unless we get a shipment of hot ex French police units arrive some time soon. 

• Supporting Member

The 'official' word scraped directly from the QLD DOT&MR:-

.... A conversion to single seat must not be easily reversible, and must:

* reduce the seat length to 500mm or less. A removable seat cowl or cover is not an acceptable method of seat reduction.

* remove the pillion foot pegs and disable the mounting points by removing mounting brackets and drilling out threaded holes.

Not wanting to rain on any parades but if the letter of the law is followed then the requirements are clear...... if the letter of the law is followed.

I might have to put this to the test personally and see how rigid the law wants to be.  If all it takes (in practice) is to remove the pegs then I'm in!

9 hours ago, andre12a said:

I see you are almost a neighbour. I am out near Warwick. Although the law here in Qld states the seat mod must be done as well it appears from what you are saying is that most people ignore that and dont get caught. I think that the seat mod is unnecessary as noone is going to ride pillion on  a Tracer without footpegs anyway. Or if they are the sort of person who would I wouldn't have them on the back of my bike anyway. Seems cowls are as rare as rocking horse shit, especially in Australia, unless we get a shipment of hot ex French police units arrive some time soon. 

Most of the Facebook forums for the local brissy area seem to go with the footpeg removal, even to the extent of not being enforced by the Police. Your choice I suppose. If anyone gets flustered, just remove the rear seat and ride home.

Done a run to Lesley Dam and Leyburn today, bloody freezing, but very fast.

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

The 'official' word scraped directly from the QLD DOT&MR:-

.... A conversion to single seat must not be easily reversible, and must:

* reduce the seat length to 500mm or less. A removable seat cowl or cover is not an acceptable method of seat reduction.

* remove the pillion foot pegs and disable the mounting points by removing mounting brackets and drilling out threaded holes.

Not wanting to rain on any parades but if the letter of the law is followed then the requirements are clear...... if the letter of the law is followed.

I might have to put this to the test personally and see how rigid the law wants to be.  If all it takes (in practice) is to remove the pegs then I'm in!

Thanks for this. 

This seems somewhat extreme to me. If a removable seat cowl is not acceptable how are you supposed to reduce the seat length. You have to be able to remove whatever it is that replaces the pillion seat. As for drilling out the threads for the mounting brackets, that leaves no option to return to dual seating at some time in the future. Basically, what it looks like they are saying is that if you didn't buy a solo seat bike in the first place then eat shit. Did you find what the penalty is for non compliance - probably six months in the pen on bread and water with hard labour.