Artist Point - August 2020

daboo

Yesterday, I got a chance to ride up to my favorite place, Artist Point.  I'll go there 2-3 times a year.  Each time I go, it is special.  How much snow will still be there?  Will the sky be overcast?  When fall comes, the hillsides turn color, transforming the place.

But even if I didn't get all the way up, the ride through the farmland on Hwy 9 on the way is wonderful.  The way is scenic, and the road gently twists and turns, letting me feel one with the bike.  It is some of the best therapy around.

ACtC-3doIa0IA74j0SHWciXzIszFMDs1RNMhWcLB

ACtC-3c9pPRfI35FTHsFNoVzDI2yyFA-_aTtFheO

Once you get to the end of the Mt. Baker Hwy, you reach Heather Meadows, or the Mt. Baker Ski area.

ACtC-3fvG5vI13B2vLAhQD4ZIw3VphViZCv-DRiz

Upper Bagley Lake

ACtC-3eJWA880dbIvaugUkg1LAcj035QJMcxDX3_

The last section of road from Heather Meadows to Artist Point

ACtC-3erYen8GXbQXpzjHY6AnGlkJFVWG5rGFfG5

ACtC-3eLmXJcYck1nq57fxXcJxzYrTEockP0iPEB

ACtC-3fn4yfh0kOIHIizQdBOSSZW_oViYqW17z8_

ACtC-3cgJQLt34d_KWrBU-WD_lPmkgWvl6BCRvBN

ACtC-3cNR2dtrLGxrkya5GA_J_xjthpFt2kjhpzI

I see a lot of bicyclists and motorcyclists ride up to the parking lot at Artist Point...circle the parking lot once...and head on down.  But if you get off the bike, you can see some incredible views.  I used to climb mountains in my younger day, and you'd spend hours and a lot of energy gaining the altitude to get into places that looked this nice.  And here, the work is done.  There's a trail to the left that's .75 miles long heading out toward Mt. Shuksan, and another that is 4 miles long headed the other way toward Mt. Baker.  Both are almost level.  It seems such a shame to believe that all there is to see, can be seen from the seat of your bike.

Artist Point Trail
For perspective, there are people on the closest rocky hill.  Squint hard. :)

ACtC-3dfN0N9svNSA4KRprK-poCwb8VFKS-lsDxn

ACtC-3ejEonM3hTSQ01aeLSC6wQmG1tw_BIGR0_0

I couldn't believe what happened here.  I had just sat down to eat my lunch, when I got a phone call from my oldest daughter in France to sing me Happy Birthday.  Cell phone reception out here?!?!?!

ACtC-3coWYE6p5k0lbgCNc9YEKtpNACH_zg8aOEq

Mt. Baker

ACtC-3cbcpcUQ7ggKy33P0Xy56gs3gU9tjD8CBfP

On the Ptarmigan Ridge Trail headed toward Mt. Baker

ACtC-3fV3rqt27TGfGLBW0Vvkl84JVKRycJNCV5u

ACtC-3cI_DbRpZSawDl4ZpbArLDBSO-SIxZyNDxG

ACtC-3dU3mvZtpvYQHDgkghQTy7OLhXGxfdutDxk

Looking back to Mt. Shuksan

ACtC-3cnVYe8ZAR5FF0ZmiHtPn1ZRFb7YlBDPk9m

Besides the man that is obvious, there are at least four others on the trail on the left side.  It is hard to get a feel for how huge this view is.

ACtC-3dUrgHqzKaJIap38T1aLeYPMwwtbSAIkXHa

ACtC-3cHGucYQw1r43rkTsHBSvV9bRIkMNQ6ZxpI

ACtC-3dC55xpiUF8R5pJEEntjUvOdSzqYeFLGC-X

On the way back down.

ACtC-3cZFNwB9yPW3t9_y8cUUtqNVROYBbOwBO1a

Lots of people wearing masks, even though it didn't make sense for the most part.  There was a nice breeze coming up the valley that blew any germs away quickly.  And for the few brief moments when you passed someone on the trail...and everyone took the trouble to move off the trail to keep distant...I was probably a tenth of a mile at least from anyone.

I did get a chuckle from a couple encounters.  When I turned around on the Ptarmigan Ridge trail, there was a young couple standing on the hillside silhouetted against the sky kissing.  It was a great Kodak moment, so when I got to them, I offered to take their picture.  So they moved to have me take their picture...but hadn't given me a camera.  Let's see...I'm going to take your picture...for you to have.........with my phone?  I think they were a little caught up with the hormones, and it was addling their brains. :D

The other was priceless.  Three young girls (why does everyone else seem to get younger, while I stay the same?)...anyway, three girls about 20 yrs old and their dog were heading out to camp overnight.  The girls were wearing masks, the dog was not.  His tongue was out.  Anyway, I offered to take a picture of the four of them, which they were delighted to have done.  I stand back (with their phone, not mine), and they all excited posed for the picture.  I took the picture then exclaimed that they had dropped their masks!  Oh the horror. :D:D:D  And when I handed the girl back her phone, I said she'll need to disinfect it now.  We all got a good laugh, and a good memory.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member

@daboo - Stunning photos.  I have lived in Washington most of my life I have never been up there on a bike.  If I was one of those who just rode up to the parking lot and turned right around and headed for home, its an 11 hour ride -if traffic cooperates. 🙄  If I wanted to enjoy myself, relax and have lunch or hike a bit then I would have to plan it as part of a 2 or 3 day ride. 

Thanks again for sharing your ride with us. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Day One - ride over to Cape Flattery.

Day Two - ride to Artist Point.

Day Three - Ride across the North Cascades Highway and drop down to your home across Hwy 410 and Chinook Pass.

Take pictures on each day.  Post them here.  Make everyone else jealous.  :D:D:D

Chris

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, daboo said:

Day One - ride over to Cape Flattery.

Unfortunately I drove up there about a month ago and the whole area is off limits due to the virus.  Road blocks set up before getting to Neah Bay and no access except for locals.  No outdoor recreation permitted in the area, so no hike out to the Cape. ☹️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***