MotoJitsu

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

This is something that kind of concerns me too.  I mean, it's theoretical really as track days are basically impossible for me, but that comment really doesn't make me want to try track days.

Don't let it. For me, track days are complimentary to street riding. Track days give you the opportunity to improve skills in a controlled environment and work on the technical aspects of riding with the added enjoyment of doing it at speed. In some ways, spending a day in the parking lot with cones is closer to a track day than street riding. That's why The Total Control clinics are done in parking lots. Have you seen what they can do in a parking lot?

My track days are focused on technique. There is an optimal way to hit a turn, and I spend the day trying to hit a turn that optimal way over and over. That is hugely rewarding. I also wouldn't do track days exclusively without street riding.

Street riding is about travel and experiencing some part of the world. Part of that is hitting each corner the best way but you need to be much more open to the world on the street compared to the track. Skills you gain at track days and other schools should feed into your safety and enjoyment when street riding. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Street riding is about travel and experiencing some part of the world. Part of that is hitting each corner the best way but you need to be much more open to the world on the street compared to the track. Skills you gain at track days and other schools should feed into your safety and enjoyment when street riding. 

Well said.  I couldn't agree more.  For me a benefit of street riding is the joy of discovering some place new.  I have my favorite local roads to have fun on but am always researching a different destination and a different route to get there.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 hours ago, petshark said:

... I'm willing to bet that his channel's growth is the reason for moving onto the scooter market, a calculated and smart move. There is a huge scooter market in Asia and other places.

Right - he banged out a bunch of scooter videos on YouTube (getting a knee down on a scooter, etc.)

Then about a week ago he gets a full sized motorcycle again and is talking about a tour of America in 2022 to connect with as many subscribers as he can, in person, at tracks, groups for parking lot training - whatever.

Not too long ago he was "track only" but now he's talking about extensive street touring. I'm not saying it's wrong to make broad stroke changes in content. He does keep stirring the pot. And is humble enough to frequently quote the masters such as Lee Parks (Total Control) and admitting that he is still learning.

Curiosity and a willingness to learn more than you know are admirable qualities.

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Curiosity and a willingness to learn more than you know

^^^ This - as a way of life!!  ^^^

Edited by knyte
corrected context
  • Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 8/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, knyte said:

...Greg got a GT recently:

Literally and honestly......that review was one of the main reasons I bought this bike. I come from the ADV bike side of riding/bikes in terms of V-Stroms "2 1000's and 1 650" and a DR650 and WR250, so I feel I have a pretty good grasp of just how special this entire Tracer FJ platform is. The Stroms are some of the most reliable and fun bikes out there and for a budget price, so the Tracers and FJ are very comparable. But I have to tell ya......this Tracer GT out of the box is by far and bar none the best bike I have ever owned or ridden, and yeah it is even more trouble and hassle free than the V-Stroms. I sincerely hope the majority of owners realize just how good these bikes are, and OMG that engine is quite the gem.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1