Long rides and city riding for shortish rider

johntr0

I am 5' 8" with a 30-31" inseam and I am looking to buy a Tracer 900 GT even tought the bike is a little bit tall for me. Now...I took one for a test ride (30 minutes with 5 minutes stuck in standing traffic) and all seems ok, except for 1 thing: I noticed a discomfort on my inner thighs right around the area that land of the edges of the seat. I tried to move the seat in the higher position (which definetly does not work from me in city riding as I am usually filtering) and it seemed better, but I was at the end of the test ride and could not check if it was still an issue.

Did anyone else notice this on longer trips?

And on the other topic, can you filter with this bike or do you need a lot of space to do so?

2 hours ago, johntr0 said:

...the bike is a little bit tall for me.

...I noticed a discomfort on my inner thighs right around the area that land of the edges of the seat.

Check out this thread where a member solved that with a Corbin seat custom made for him.

Member Panther6834 told me that the main benefit was narrow sides on the Corbin, they removed foam from sides that acted like lowering the bike for him and also more comfortable. 

corbin_FJ09.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Premium Member

I am your height with teeny bit shorter inseam.  If seat is too wide option to aftermarket is taking it to an upholsterer (or DIY if you’re so inclined) to shave off some foam.

• Thumbsup 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, johntr0 said:

I noticed a discomfort on my inner thighs right around the area that land of the edges of the seat.

Did anyone else notice this on longer trips?

Even at 6"-1" with 33-34" inseam I had the same issues with the edges or seams on the inner thigh area of the seat.  I had a custom seat built with a narrow, rounded front section with no seams in that area.  100% improvement.

Seat1.jpg

Seat2.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, johntr0 said:

can you filter with this bike or do you need a lot of space to do so?

Filtering is still OK and I have managed well on the occasions when it has been needed,  but obviously you will need more space than the width of the bars. The newer Tracer and Tracer GT have the bars about 100mm narower than the older models (mine is in that catagory). The size difference is with a slightly narrower set of bars and redesigned hand guards. I have thought occasionally that I might change the stock bars for a narrower set but I have got very well with the bars and because they are comfortable I  am reluctant to change

In the UK, most car mirrors are below the level of our handlebars and the rest of the bike is narrow. I find filtering really easy and being sat high up gives you a great view for planning how to get through traffic.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I was thinking as well that a custom seat would do it...glad to hear that it solved the issue. For long riding I guess I could also put the seat in the high position as it drastically changes the angle of the seat and also the position of the edges; that is, until I manage to take it to a custom shop for adjustment.

8 hours ago, BBB said:

In the UK, most car mirrors are below the level of our handlebars and the rest of the bike is narrow. I find filtering really easy and being sat high up gives you a great view for planning how to get through traffic.

This in encouraging since I've seen that in the UK the streets ar quite narrow (it's similar in my country as well).

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, johntr0 said:

And on the other topic, can you filter with this bike or do you need a lot of space to do so?

I took the hand guards off my Tracer (2017) and fitted bar end weights from an MT-09, I found that the standard setup was just that bit uncomfortable mentally, especially after coming from a Fazer 600. I don't like the look of the hand guards anyway so it was a double win.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Have a scroll through the Love at first sit Bagster topic.

I have a 29 and 1/2 inseam and manage the foot down aspect.

I had exactly the same issues with inside thigh discomfort and although it seemed unlikely I wondered if the angular bits of body work were part of the problem.

The OEM seat imho is dire.

I now have a Bagster and despite only a few hundred miles on it I think it is much more comfortable.

I am off on a couple of 300mile days tomorrow and will update my Bagster seat verdict after that.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, flyfifer said:

I now have a Bagster and despite only a few hundred miles on it I think it is much more comfortable.

I am off on a couple of 300mile days tomorrow and will update my Bagster seat verdict after that.

So I understand that it fixed the discomfort issues, right?

With the OEM seat how much time were you able to spend on the bike until discomfort kicks in?

How long I was comfortable varied depending on the traffic/road situation.

If it was a free flowing ride 100 miles was just about bearable but the hundred return gradually got awfull.

Slow, busy, riding and I was shuffling on the seat after 30 miles and I started focussing on my rear rather than the road ,- not good.

As posted above I just had a couple of decent days, back to back and the Bagster seat is a huge improvement. 

• Thumbsup 1