Gas tank non magnetic?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Ok was looking at tank bras for my Niken GT. Years ago I  had a Mag Knight tank bra for my '95 Kawasaki ZX-6E that worked great.  

Called them up in Washington state and they don't make one specifically for Niken and suggested that I try their smaller patch versions instead. But before I ordered, they cautioned me to check with a magnet to verify that my gas tank will allow the user of magnets. 

I took a magnet to the gas tank, lo and behold, if did not attract at all. So is my gas tank not of metal that allows magnets to attract or is it a by product of the matte paint?

Never had a bike before where the tank didn't allow you to put on this kind of tank protection,  is this normal for newer bikes?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Premium Member

I currently own 3 motorcycles and none of them would accommodate magnetic tank pads or bags.  They all have plastic tanks or tank covers. 

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

My bike has the gas tank under the seat.  The "tank" is plastic and covers the battery and air box.  I ordered some rare earth magnets and used double-sided tape to hold them on the underside of the plastic "tank" panels.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Could the tank be aluminum?   Also yeah as Duhg said, the upper section is all a plastic cover.   But  I didnt know if the tank itself was Aluminum or not.

The tank on my 2015 FJ is definitely steel, and I can’t imagine it would be any different on a newer Tracer or a Niken.   I just double-checked with the magnet in my RokForm phone case, and it stuck firmly wherever I put it on the metal portions.   

That said,  there is a lot of plastic covering the front half of the tank, plus the area where the seat matches up to the back edge of the tank.   I can see why a magnetic tank bag wouldn’t work, since the front edge/half of the bag would have nothing to cling to.  

The steel part is painted red, but only aft of those elevated plastic covers & center black trim panel... 

F6EE988F-81FA-4F53-8298-724657A7AC65.thumb.jpeg.9896534e6fbff466af9b63e8eb6e2a91.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, texscottyd said:

The tank on my 2015 FJ is definitely steel, and I can’t imagine it would be any different on a newer Tracer or a Niken.   I just double-checked with the magnet in my RokForm phone case, and it stuck firmly wherever I put it on the metal portions.   

That said,  there is a lot of plastic covering the front half of the tank, plus the area where the seat matches up to the back edge of the tank.   I can see why a magnetic tank bag wouldn’t work, since the front edge/half of the bag would have nothing to cling to.  

The steel part is painted red, but only aft of those elevated plastic covers & center black trim panel... 

F6EE988F-81FA-4F53-8298-724657A7AC65.thumb.jpeg.9896534e6fbff466af9b63e8eb6e2a91.jpeg

My tank appears to be metal (non magnetic). I checked the underside to see if it was just plastic cladding - looks like only the front part is plastic cladding. 

E9443136-D0AC-4F0B-8DDB-8FFAA1A1B950.jpeg

38C9F643-AAEA-4874-8B92-AF96F2121763.jpeg

1BFBE5A8-C905-44C8-A430-DA374C193391.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Saw on Youtube that Niken tank is alloy. I'm assuming alluminum.

Is definitely not magnetic steel. I didn't know they  make  motorcycle  gas tanks out of aluminum. I knew they did frames, swingarms and wheels, just not gas tanks. Learned something new!

2019 Niken GT