gearing

simon1963

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I'll re-ask my earlier question posted above along with the torque curve:  Does a change in final drive gearing change the torque curve?*

I don't see why it would, but I'm not really sure about that.

If the curve does not change, the ride-ability of the bike should be the same.  A 60- to 80-mph roll on normally done in 6th starting at 5k rpm now done in 5th starting at 5k rpm should yield the same result.  Correct???

Changing the final gearing doesn't alter the torque curve or engine characteristics but does alter how quickly or slowly the bike can accelerate. It also affects how high you ride in the rpm range and the load on the engine, example, riding 2,500 rpm in 6th gear will put a huge load on the engine as it just doesn't have the power to pull that gearing whereas an C14, FJR or Goldwing was designed to run those low rpms and have the power to not bog down the motor. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hi guys

the owner of a large multi bike dealer ship rode my tracer gt today with the new gearing expecting I suspect and fully intending to tell me I had over done it on the new gearing and said how nice it rode with zero concerns whatsoever. I no what I’m talking about and I no it is far better the way I have it. I do have 2 very small issues because of the change which I am willing to trade off for the better gearing. Thanks for your comments guy’s 

If it works for you and you are happy with the result then you have done the right thing. Most of us have added and changed stuff to personalise our bikes and I think a change of gearing is a much better modification than some of the stuff I have seen done to try to improve the aesthetics of a bike, and lets not get into a discussion on the custom bike scene and the uncomfortable virtually unrideable bikes I have seen winning prizes at bike shows.

• Like 2

I'm a new Tracer GT owner, (also an FJR owner), considering a sprocket change as well to cruise 75mph at a little lower RPM.  So I'm finding this discussion interesting.  I came across this article in a Cycle World online site about changing to 17f x 43r.  They claim this change accomplishes a lower cruise RPM and needs no change of chain size.  It's what I'm considering when my warranty ends in a couple months, (just to be safe).

T6ISZUUCBQLSSRBCJ2VRKGG5V4.jpg

Nick Ienatsch prepares his long-term 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT to hit the...

You will find it very nice with the suggested gearing but may find the cruise control won’t work so well at lower speeds but will be fine in 5 and 6th gears and you may loose the quick shift from 5 to 6th but neither of these are a big deal condidering the massive improvement with the lower revs at for example 60 mph I Woukd be interested to hear how you find it  so my email : simonhart1963@gmail.com

34 minutes ago, Chris FJR said:

Thanks for the additional info, Simon1963.  As I said, I won't be doing this until my warranty is up in a few months, but I will repost with my results and email you.

You might want to try changing to a 17 front first to see how you like it.  If more RPM reduction is desired you can change the rear later.

I found adequate reduction with a 17 front and stock rear. I think my numbers are:  4k rpm at 60 mph (indicated), 4,300 @ 65, and 4,800 @ 70. (Impossible to read that Tach accurately! :)

WRT performance: My  opinion is that you basically ride torque not HP.  My (non-flashed ECU)  FJ is in its flat (high) torque zone from 3,500 rpm to 10k.  So this gear change does not really impact acceleration in any gear that I can tell.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Chris FJR said:

Thanks for the additional info, Simon1963.  As I said, I won't be doing this until my warranty is up in a few months, but I will repost with my results and email you.

Changing sprockets won’t affect your warranty. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, simon1963 said:

You will find it very nice with the suggested gearing but may find the cruise control won’t work so well at lower speeds but will be fine in 5 and 6th gears and you may loose the quick shift from 5 to 6th but neither of these are a big deal condidering the massive improvement with the lower revs at for example 60 mph I Woukd be interested to hear how you find it  so my email : simonhart1963@gmail.com

I’ll definitely be interested to hear your thoughts when you have changed it. Can I ask , so do you find it revvy as std and some gears a waste of time? Feel free to answer by email. Cheers 

It does work but it throws it out a bit. It works fine in 5th and 6th and that’s all I really want it for but it was handy in 30mph limits but I can get used to not having it for that. It’s a trade off and I definitely think the bike is better with new gearing 

7 hours ago, nhchris said:

WRT performance: My  opinion is that you basically ride torque not HP.

I feel that's how most of us will normally ride,  I am very very seldom in the top third of the rev range and for most of us torque in the mid range is much more important for riding on the road.