• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

gearing

simon1963

I haven't read or watched too many complaints "ANYWHERE" about the gearing on this bike as it was designed and intended, and it also very much appears to be a helluva touring bike with that stock gearing as well. This engine wants to rev and where it's happy, it's not struggling at all at those RPM's......just starting to get happy. Agree with make it your own and what works for you, something you can't easily or cheaply do with a shaft drive. 

• Thumbsup 1

Hi. 
im Not complaining at all. People complain about the ignition position. It’s fins as when you turn the handlebars to lock the steering there is plenty of room . people complain about foot pegs, tyres, seat, ect , but I find it all fine. But for me with stick gearing 3 and 5th gears are a waste of time and it is tiresome going up and down through the box. 
I don’t ride the bike above 5k revs unless I need too. It’s the way I ride . the bike is a million times better with my revised gearing. I’d put an 18 on the front if I could get one on. A m/c shop owner who has been riding bikes since he was 3 and one of his technicians rode the bike, both said it rides perfectly. I like it so much better now. Cheers 

So just a update. 17f - 43r was ok but still wasn’t completely happy with the gearing. Today I fitted a 41r and the bike is now absolutely perfect. It makes this bike just so amazing and very different for the better than standard. No longer do you pull away in first and it makes a lot of noise and your desperately trying to hook second and then miss a gear as it’s almost a waste of time hooking 3rd and 5th. Now the bike takes off with out hesitation or over reving or coming close to stalling and you hook second leisurely and every gear is super impressive without screaming the engine. I think it was doing 70 mph at approximately 3700 rpm but will confirm. I tried a hill start which was effortless and I personally would never go back to Std gearing  In my opinion it’s been geared incorrectly in it’s design but that’s just my opinion. I hope that’s of interest 

3 hours ago, simon1963 said:

What makes you think that?

the bike is amazing. No problems just personalising it to my liking   I’m very very happy with the bike

Glad that you have found the gearing combo that works for you is great , but to say that Yamaha has geared this bike wrong is far from the truth for a bike that for probably 90 percent of the riders  the gearing works. A triple that loves to rev and actually shifts better in the higher rev range.I like the fact that you can pass people with out a down shift and  actually think the gear box spacing is the best of any street bike I have owned. Anyway to each his own and good luck with your ride !

MIKE

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

15/44

Bret,  Curious as to your decision to change both front and rear sprockets from stock, 15/44 is the exact same gear ratio as 16/47 = 2.93

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

16/47 brings you close to needing to add 2 links, not necessary with 15/44 and a bit longer wheelbase for better stability.  Just into my 3rd chain in 40k miles, 2nd 520 set.  DID 520 X-ZVM and Superlite sprockets.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, simon1963 said:

16/47???

15/44???

not sure what you mean 

teeth on front sprocket/teeth on rear sprocket 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

43 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yikes! You looking for max mpg and/or a LSR?!  Even though the CP3 is somewhat torquey you've got to be slipping the clutch a fair bit on quick launches...

Time will tell if the clutch fails prematurely.

17 and 43 work great for me, and was able to keep the original chain.  The bike runs about the same rpm in 5th gear as it did in 6th before the change.  Ran about 750 miles in the Big Bend country of Texas last week.  I did find I had to down-shift to 5th or even 4th for a lot of the twisties, in order to pull out smoothly.  But I have no regrets.  The engine is smooth and quiet on freeways and interstates.

• Like 1