gearing

simon1963

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, simon1963 said:

Guys 

how do I post a new post ffs😊

Do you mean a new topic?  If so go to one of the forum headings at the bottom of the (home) web page and click on 'start new topic' in the top right.

Hope that helps and is what you were asking?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, simon1963 said:

Where do I find the web page 😂

Click on the header as per below and you're there - Home page for the entire forum.  Then go to the bottom to find all of the sub forums.

image.thumb.png.6214d3b275c147c9ac0e4b0566bc1fbb.png

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, simon1963 said:

Hi

with 17 - 44   4000 I think but will check tommorow and update. Still to high though 😂

I appreciate what you are trying to achieve and am not criticizing your decisions but if 4,000 rpm is too high, that's kind of concerning.  I keep thinking you are trying to achieve something that the bike wasn't designed to do.  For example a Gold Wing runs about 3000 rpm @ 70mph on the highway but has double the torque of the Tracer and over double the displacement, you arent going to achieve that same type of really low rpm in top gear and have the power to maneuver.

As an example, you mentioned that you raced MX and rode 2-strokes, you are aware how a motor of a certain displacement like to operate, a YZ125 likes to be used at higher rpms to effectively deliver the power the motor was designed to produce, a YZ250 can be ridden at a little lower rpms and still have power to accelerate through corners and a 500cc bike has enough power to use at much lower rpms.  

One thing to try, find a back road or secondary highway with curves or inclines and get up to 6th gear and then lower the rpms to a point that you enjoy riding at and see how well (or poorly) the bike responds, once you get below 4,000 rpms the motor will begin struggling and will not be as smooth as if you were at a higher rpm.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, betoney said:

I appreciate what you are trying to achieve and am not criticizing your decisions but if 4,000 rpm is too high, that's kind of concerning.  I keep thinking you are trying to achieve something that the bike wasn't designed to do. 

Got to agree with what betoney is posting, I think you are turning a good all round bike into one that is only usefull for sitting at 70 MPH on a flat motorway. But almost everyone on this site, Me included, has i'm sure changed something on their bike to make it more suitable for their needs. I increased the front sprocket size on my last bike and it did make a slight noticable difference. Good thing about changing the gearing is it's so easy to change back if you don't like it. I only hope you never need to accelerate quickly to get out of the way of a fast approaching Porsche on a German autobahn.

• Thumbsup 1

Hello again

thanks for the examples of how different bikes achieve torque and power

the tracer guy has everything I want on it

lokks smart and has a terrific engine. I never wanted a big heavy bike and like I said instantly recognised it was revvy on the test ride. Don’t get me wrong I’m not disappointed at all but have altered the gearing to suit my riding style   I’m happy with it how it is now and it runs along at low revs very happily. There is no where written that I shouldn’t cruise at low revs and the engine sounds very happy. It may be designed and happy to go at 7,8,9000 rpm but that’s not my style. And I’m sure mr Yamaha will honour the warranty however it is ridden. But it has been interesting receiving all your different views 

4 minutes ago, simon1963 said:

I’m happy with it how it is now and it runs along at low revs very happily.

That's the only thing that matters, enjoy your bike. I will probably think about one tooth up front sprocket when it's time to change the chain.

• Thumbsup 1

Hi. I can assure you my friend I can look after myself and my bike in any gear at any time will get me out of a tricky situation. The bike as standard only really needs 4 of the gears it’s got. It’s just so boring Going up and down the box. If any one pouts a smaller sprocket in front or bigger in back I’d wonder why as it’s rediculasly low feared out of factory. It’s not Evan debatable it’s just so low. My bike is getting better and better with little tweeks I do but perhaps it’s personal but I can’t see it your way

cheers

• Thumbsup 1

I've had mine 3+ weeks now and this is the first bike I dont think needs a change. Geared perfectly.

FZ-07, 250 Nighthawk, CBR1100XX, XR650L, all went +1 on the front sprocket almost immediately.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

I've had mine 3+ weeks now and this is the first bike I dont think needs a change. Geared perfectly.

FZ-07, 250 Nighthawk, CBR1100XX, XR650L, all went +1 on the front sprocket almost immediately.

Fully agreed.

I came to the Tracer from a 2017 Ninja 1000 and as much as I loved that bike, the gearing was too short - I was always looking for 7th, whereas on the Tracer I rarely get out of 3rd or 4th.

Rob

Hey guys,

Tracer DNA is from the middle-weight, street-naked / hooligan family and as such is not ideally suited to touring.  So it's understandable that those of us on the touring end of the spectrum might seek to make some changes to the bike's stock configuration.

I'll re-ask my earlier question posted above along with the torque curve:  Does a change in final drive gearing change the torque curve?*

I don't see why it would, but I'm not really sure about that.

If the curve does not change, the ride-ability of the bike should be the same.  A 60- to 80-mph roll on normally done in 6th starting at 5k rpm now done in 5th starting at 5k rpm should yield the same result.  Correct???

So other than possibly requiring a downshift, the bikes performance does not change, correct?

The exception is first gear, where the final drive ratio cannot be compensated for by dropping a gear.

Fun stuff to ponder guys!!

* It is shocking how an ECU flash and aftermarket exhaust alter the torque curve, taking flat curve and turning it into a steeply-sloped line that mimics the HP curve.  From a ride-ability point of view, why would you want to do that???

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09