gearing

simon1963

25 minutes ago, simon1963 said:

Foolish individual. You are obviously digging yourself a hole my friend

Hi Simon Do you think you can highlight and quote the comments that you are in disagreement with in your post so we know how best to respond 

cheers

There is no need to respond. Just accept I put a post up with my experience so others can think that what I have done is interesting and something they might contemplate or one may think ok this change wouldn’t work for me but I’ve ridden the bike in both std form and the new configuration so I no how it feels. 
you guys are only imagining so you can’t possibly state it is no good ect ect. It’s a forum and whilst comments are welcomed, accusations are not. Stay safe guys 

20 hours ago, kilo3 said:

This has got to be a troll account, or it's working up to it at this point.

The fact that simon1963 gave a thumbs up to this speaks for itself.  Please do not feed the Trolls, their self inflated egos are all the sustenance they need.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, simon1963 said:

Well said my friend 

people never cease to amaze me 😁

Yeah no offense mate, but we too are kind of amazed at some of your comments and actions as well. ;) 

11 hours ago, betoney said:

I agree, I 'believe' (as I'm no engineer or mechanical expert) that that labored feeling of running lower rpm's in a taller gear is actually putting stress on the connecting rod and crankshaft bearings among other top-end issues.  Maybe @skipperT or others can share some of their mechanical expertise on the subject?

bag0314_tips02.jpg?itok=2687ygNT

When passing, is it better to baby your motor or downshift?

As the article discusses, lugging any engine and then asking it to perform its best while accelerating in the wrong gear will do damage over time (or quite quickly depending on conditions).  There’s good info in your link, @betoney but it is written mostly for big twin owners - who have a habit of driving around at 40 mph in 5 or 6th gear because it sounds cool. These are the same guys who blip the throttle on FI bikes at stop lights to keep them “running”.

(IMHO of course, but we’ve all seen them.)

regarding this thread, and the gearing and operating choices - as mentioned previously it’s a personal choice. I happen to feel our CP3 engine likes to be revved and one of its other characteristics is good torque at low RPM - I don’t recall the exact dyno chart number but seem to remember it’s around 3-4K rpm (Two Wheel DW has lots of charts in the website).  Lugging an engine also increases emissions and leaves more carbon behind, which builds up on valve stems and piston crowns.  It also accelerates chain/sprocket wear also IMHO because those power pulses have to be transmitted somewhere...

also there’s no knock sensors on our bikes, remember ... The ECM won’t change timing based on your riding habits. 

I’m no engineer either, but I have run into wackos on all brands and models that will do what they do, and will never understand why they tend to have to replace certain parts/perform repairs that other riders don’t...

-Skip

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, skipperT said:

As the article discusses, lugging any engine and then asking it to perform its best while accelerating in the wrong gear will do damage over time (or quite quickly depending on conditions).  There’s good info in your link, @betoney but it is written mostly for big twin owners - who have a habit of driving around at 40 mph in 5 or 6th gear because it sounds cool. These are the same guys who blip the throttle on FI bikes at stop lights to keep them “running”.

(IMHO of course, but we’ve all seen them.)

regarding this thread, and the gearing and operating choices - as mentioned previously it’s a personal choice. I happen to feel our CP3 engine likes to be revved and one of its other characteristics is good torque at low RPM - I don’t recall the exact dyno chart number but seem to remember it’s around 3-4K rpm (Two Wheel DW has lots of charts in the website).  Lugging an engine also increases emissions and leaves more carbon behind, which builds up on valve stems and piston crowns.  It also accelerates chain/sprocket wear also IMHO because those power pulses have to be transmitted somewhere...

Thanks for responding and sharing your knowledge! 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***