Tracer vs. MT-09 for Sport Touring

Hi all, new here! I'm shopping for a new bike and narrowed it down to either a Tracer or an MT-09. I rode a '15 FJ-09 and I'm in love, it's goldilocks in almost every way for my style of riding and needs. It strikes a balance and sweet spot that's unmatched in the industry.

I'm now trying to think critically about the differences between these two bikes, '19-'20 Tracer (or GT) over '19 MT-09.

I can get a used MT-09 for $7k plus tax, add a puig screen, handguards, sargent heated seat, heated gloves, kaoko throttle lock and a quickshifter, and be in for about $8.5k. I'm 5'8" and 175lbs, ride solo only, and prefer a tailbag to side bags. My typical rides are 1-day, 4-500 miles, tops. I live in Washington DC and ride in MD, VA, and PA.

The GT would run about 2k more than that, and as far as i can tell, positives would be:

• 45 miles greater range (bigger tank)
  • More rear shock travel
  • Centerstand
  • TFT dash

Whereas negatives would be:

• added weight
  • expensive side bags i won't use

So, am I missing anything else in my comparison? I suppose I would want to get the sargent heated seat and tailbag either way, which would add to the cost of the GT. Are there any more subtle differences between these models?

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Bossanova said:

So, am I missing anything else in my comparison? I suppose I would want to get the sargent heated seat and tailbag either way, which would add to the cost of the GT. Are there any more subtle differences between these models?

How about a 2019 base level Tracer (non-GT) and then add heated grips and quick shifter?

From the title of the thread, you want a "sport-tourer", why start with a non sport tourer and completely change it (MT-09) vs starting with a sport tourer (Tracer) and add a few upgrades? 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I went for a base model tracer 18 months old when I bought it complete with larger shad 3 piece luggage that I only use occasionally. Fitted puig touring screen and heated grips alongwith some other bits and piecies that I saw going cheap. I Test rode the GT but felt the difference in price not justifiable to me for the extra bits it came with. No regrets about my choice and given my time again I would go down the same route. Only thing I would take from the GT would be the cruise control but in all honesty. for the limited time I would need it the cheap throttle lock I fitted works well enough.

• Thumbsup 1

IF I was your weight/height, I'd probably pick up a used MT.

However, the tracer tries to keep me from doing things I probably shouldn't do, wheelies, weaving in traffic...general asshattery I'd probably be doing on an MT due to weight and shorter swingarm which you could add as a negative or positive.

For me, the choice would be down to luggage carrying requirements. If a tail bag is as big as you ever need, fixed under seat, thats fine with mt. If you need bigger roll bags, then grab rail or small rack might be needed on the mt. Tracer has rear grab rails for strapping down bags standard.  

Possibly,  just go with best deal, both bike's will work and both bike are brilliant.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

How about a 2019 base level Tracer (non-GT) and then add heated grips and quick shifter?

From the title of the thread, you want a "sport-tourer", why start with a non sport tourer and completely change it (MT-09) vs starting with a sport tourer (Tracer) and add a few upgrades? 

I'm looking into that too. For a pillion, there's no contest but for solo riding i don't see how a base Tracer is any more adept at sport touring than an MT-09 with s screen and handguards. I know what the marketing says, but in real world situation for a 5'8" solo rider there's nothing in it. If I were taller, the Tracer would be more comfortable.

7 minutes ago, Bossanova said:

i don't see how a base Tracer is any more adept at sport touring than an MT-09 with s screen and handguards.

Just got to try both and pick the one that floats your boat the most. It's your pick so you won't be wrong procedure I would do below

1 Try them

2 pick one

3 throw your leg over and enjoy every mile you can't be wrong

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, keithu said:

+1 on the base model Tracer. Many dealers seem to discount them, unlike the GT which tends to command full MSRP. 

In the US, there are a few 2019 base models left over, which are being discounted down from the original 10,699 to about 9,000. The 2020 GTs are now going for about 11,000 down from 12,999. Dealer fees vary from $4-900 on new bikes. A used MT-09 with low miles is around $7,000, with no dealer fees added on. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

It looks like you've done some research. I'm sure the MT-09 will meet the needs you described. I still think the Tracer would be a little more suitable, mainly due to the slightly better wind protection and the larger fuel tank. Even if you only ride where there's a gas station every ten miles, extra fuel capacity is always a convenience on tour. Whether that's worth paying another $2k, I don't know. 

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, betoney said:

+1 for this. I just bought a non-GT 2019 leftover off CycleTrader for $8k pre-tax, could probably find a used one for close to $7k. 

• Thumbsup 1

Am 5’8” , around 130lbs, my colleague has one mt-09 (2019) , rode around office area, end up getting Tracer Gt (2020) this year. Fun bike and love twisty, get mt-09. Mix of travelling, short and long, it’s a Tracer. have not own any bike above 100hp before, hence for me personally, I love the dual mode, can have fun in twisty( see motojitsu) and no worries on long distant trip with the more upright position over mt_09 .... 

it’s coming year end, they might be throwing basic tracer even further down 

6 hours ago, Bossanova said:

rode a '15 FJ-09 and I'm in love

Consider getting a '15? You can probably find one for a song with some tasty upgrades on it already. Less guilt and depreciation more money for beer and tires! Still loving mine. 

• Thumbsup 3

Wordsmith here, and having owned a few standard Tracers, latterly a Tracer 900 GT, now an MT-09 SP for a few weeks, I feel experienced enough to chip-in - note I say experienced rather than expert.    Difficulty is, of course, that it's hard to know what any given new bikes in any market come equipped with as standard - f'rinstance here in Oz early Tracers and current GTs come with hard panniers as standard, which makes them irresistibly good value for those interested in distance touring, as I was.

IMHO - 'one-day 400 - 500 mile rides tops' (your words) is not touring, it's more an extended day-ride so panniers/ saddle-bags would not seem important, especially as you say you prefer a rear bag (as do I).   If the panniers come as standard, you could always sell them.

You omitted a very important feature of the GT (assuming it comes as standard in your market) which is the excellent cruise-control, useful even if not doing distance-touring.   The GT also has a somewhat longer rear swing-arm, increased IIRC by about 60mm or about 2.5", for increased stability, again touring-oriented.   

I found when transitioning from a Tracer to the GT that the then-new seat on the GT was vastly superior to the torture device on the stock Tracer - but again that may have changed and maybe Tracers now have an improved perch.   And unless you regularly ride in cold conditions maybe the comfort-level of the GT seat, sans heating, may not be needed compared to the heated Sargent seat you mention as an optional later purchase.   

I believe, but am not sure, that current Tracers and GTs both come with the quickshifter, which you may or may not consider important, and both have an adequate 18L tank.  The GT's one-hand screen height-adjuster is a minor but useful feature, and each bike's ergonomics are almost identical, with zero degrees forward body lean on each.

My unwavering choice would be hands-down the GT.   Sure, it is a little heavier and it costs more, but you will more than recoup that when selling, and if bought as a new bike it will come with warranty that gives peace of mind for quite a long time (2/ 3 years..?).   The GT is better-equipped, and loses nothing in sportier riding, while the inclusion of the c/stand gives a modest benefit over the Tracer. 

So - why have I just purchased a Tracer SP?   Simply because of the appreciably lower seat-height which accommodates my 81 y.o. stiff and increasingly stiffening hip, knee, and ankle joints when getting on and off, and the simple fact that these problems now make distance-touring impossible for me.   I'm too old for high-kicks or gymnastics, and even the SP's 820mm seat-height is a bit challenging at times, but had these issues not arisen, I would unhesitatingly have gone for another new GT.   

Anyway, that's me, and I wish Bossanova good buying, and am sure that come Tracer or GT he will enjoy it thoroughly.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.