• Supporting Member
On 4/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, maximNikenGT said:

Great call on the Rottweiler mirrors Draco! Love them. Had to get used to looking down at the new lower location to see behind me but  image quality is excellent and I can see quite a bit behind me compared to stock mirrors. No vibration at speed. Toughest part was drilling mounting holes through the stainless steel of the SW Motech handguard frames. That definitely took awhile. 

Now the only thing left is to install some Grip Puppies to help dampen the vibration. My hands get buzzy on rides longer than 30 minutes with the new SW Motech handguards because the handguard hardware replaces the stock heavy duty weighed bar ends that helped to dampen vibrations on the Niken. 

0627B7A6-01CD-462D-B4A4-49D2D7E0C477.jpeg

EC134B28-6CF8-494A-8F11-9B5E944EB0DB.jpeg

1A7C1FC6-6D0E-40C7-9EF6-8E74B91CC5D7.jpeg

I went ahead and installed Grip Puppies and went for an hour test ride. My hands were fine and nowhere near as numb/buzzy as before 😆. My grip comfort level went up as a result of the larger diameter grips e.g. less curvature of my hands on the handlebars. 

Only potential downsides are:

a. The Grip Puppies do reduce the amount of heat coming through by about 1/3 - however the Niken GT has multiple heat level settings, so all I need to do is increase my intensity levels for the grip warmers on the bike to compensate. 

b. The larger diameter grip, while more comfortable for me, does shorten the amount of distance the clutch bar can travel. As a result, I would intermittently not be able to get out of Neutral at a dead stop because I had to consciously pull the clutch lever all the way down to the Grip Puppies in order for the gear shifter lockout to disengage. I may be able to adjust my clutch lever settings to compensate for the wider grips. Will see tomorrow. 

Almost Iron Butt ready...

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, maximNikenGT said:

I went ahead and installed Grip Puppies and went for an hour test ride. My hands were fine and nowhere near as numb/buzzy as before 😆. My grip comfort level went up as a result of the larger diameter grips e.g. less curvature of my hands on the handlebars. 

Only potential downsides are:

a. The Grip Puppies do reduce the amount of heat coming through by about 1/3 - however the Niken GT has multiple heat level settings, so all I need to do is increase my intensity levels for the grip warmers on the bike to compensate. 

b. The larger diameter grip, while more comfortable for me, does shorten the amount of distance the clutch bar can travel. As a result, I would intermittently not be able to get out of Neutral at a dead stop because I had to consciously pull the clutch lever all the way down to the Grip Puppies in order for the gear shifter lockout to disengage. I may be able to adjust my clutch lever settings to compensate for the wider grips. Will see tomorrow. 

Almost Iron Butt ready...

yup was gonna suggest that ,,adjust that clutch,,I like mine with minimum travel or almost zero freeplay,,start offs are much smoother and controlled and no over revving anticipating engagement ,,plus easier to wheelie 

• Supporting Member
On 5/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, maximNikenGT said:

The larger diameter grip, while more comfortable for me, does shorten the amount of distance the clutch bar can travel. As a result, I would intermittently not be able to get out of Neutral at a dead stop because I had to consciously pull the clutch lever all the way down to the Grip Puppies in order for the gear shifter lockout to disengage. I may be able to adjust my clutch lever settings to compensate for the wider grips.

7 minutes ago, Bill H said:

yup was gonna suggest that ,,adjust that clutch,,I like mine with minimum travel or almost zero freeplay,,start offs are much smoother and controlled and no over revving anticipating engagement ,,plus easier to wheelie 

The difference in lever travel with and without grip puppies is only about 3mm (probably even less since they are padded and compress) It sounds like the lever is adjusted with WAY too much free play.  I agree with @Bill H, adjust the lever with much less free play.  I have my adjustable levers set on the closest setting, with minimal lever free play and use grip puppies and they do not affect clutch lever pull or shifting engagement in any way.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
On 5/29/2021 at 5:05 PM, betoney said:

The difference in lever travel with and without grip puppies is only about 3mm (probably even less since they are padded and compress) It sounds like the lever is adjusted with WAY too much free play.  I agree with @Bill H, adjust the lever with much less free play.  I have my adjustable levers set on the closest setting, with minimal lever free play and use grip puppies and they do not affect clutch lever pull or shifting engagement in any way.

Grip puppies installed. However for some odd reason the Niken only has adjustable lever switch on brake lever and not the clutch lever. Is there another way to adjust the clutch lever?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Grip puppies installed. However for some odd reason the Niken only has adjustable lever switch on brake lever and not the clutch lever. Is there another way to adjust the clutch lever?

That is pretty common to only have adjustability on the brake lever, unfortunately.  That is why aftermarket adjustable levers are so popular, I am very particular about ergonomics and consider them essential.  I have many different pairs of gloves each with varying material thickness, I adjust the lever reach depending on the glove feel. 

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Not sure if this is a sign but SW Motech no longer has Yamaha Niken specific handguards listed for order on its website.

I ordered direct from SW Motech in December 2020 (part numbers HPR.00.220.85301/B for the handguard mounting kit, and HPR.00.220.20000/B for the Kobra handguard shells). 

Purely conjecture on my part but hopefully it's no longer being listed because of low sales vs a sign from Yamaha that they might discontinue future  production of the Niken. 

2019 Niken GT

• 4 weeks later...
El 12/02/2020 a las 19:12, jetpilot5 dijo:

Givi5.thumb.jpg.b940802139e923287507b7843f88efa0.jpg

Hello.
I introduce myself and register from Spain to ask if they know which model is the endorsement that this Niken carries, since I would like to place it in the one I have.

Thanks.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, alpina said:

Hello.
I introduce myself and register from Spain to ask if they know which model is the endorsement that this Niken carries, since I would like to place it in the one I have.

Thanks.

This is custom tape work to make it look like this.  Looks originally to be a Niken GT with aftermarket hand guards and passenger seat back rest. 

2019 Niken GT

14 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

...del mercado de accesorios. 

But we do not know brand or model ... or one that can be easily assembled ?.
I carry the GT mount to mount ...

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, alpina said:

But we do not know brand or model ... or one that can be easily assembled ?.
I carry the GT mount to mount ...

No confirmation on the brand. Only one I've run across that might have done this is Kutvek. 

Kutvek Kit Graphik specializes in the sale and creation of personal...

2019 Niken GT

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member

With the drop in North Carolina temperatures to the 45 degrees F / ~7 degrees C, I went ahead and installed my SW Motech Kobra handguard extensions to keep my hands a bit warmer as we head into winter. One thing I did have to do was mount my Rottweiler fold in mirrors to the outside since they interfered with the Kobra extensions when installed. 

A6EBBE9F-C172-406E-84CE-17B9AB75C3C7.jpeg

9C18206A-8C17-4D1D-9BE7-DD47AC131134.png

472C2AE9-B638-4B34-B55D-43909104146C.png

43DFA21A-AF79-4207-BFAE-EC49D57BD07E.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

And after install. The two screws positioned at the middle and at the outside of the bike mounting points were easy enough to use a long phillips head screwdriver, however the one closest to the interior of the bike had to use a small ratchet with phillips head attachment due to the tight clearance between the handlebars and the handguards. SW Motech instructions were very specific to be careful not to overtighten more than 2 Nm. 

5105270E-F113-4ADD-BF70-143D19D4415B.jpeg

FC400586-8935-4836-A42F-1C622747FB5D.jpeg

9E9D7ADC-D173-4D17-9F77-AE48AA799C53.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT
Updated photo orientation

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Just did a 369 mile round trip to the Rattler in NC starting at Hot Springs, NC down to Lake Junaluska, NC on Route 206. While it was rainy, cold and wet on the ride out there, by the time I got to Hot Springs to start the Rattler run, the route had dried up somewhat and visibility cleared up to give me a decent look at the changing leaves. Turned out to be a beautiful afternoon ride. 

First time getting caught in a downpour in the Niken GT and have to say that I now understand what folks mean when they said that the spray from the front two tires throws all kinds of stuff up on your legs. Now I see why some folks went to the trouble of getting fender extenders since the roostertails from the rain and mud coming up from the front and the rear (as evidenced by all the mud on the underside of my Givi trunk) is pretty surprising given how big the factory mudguards are. 

Niken GT handled the semi-wet roads and the moist leaves very well. The rear end did get slightly loose from wet leaves in one of the turns but the fronts were nice and stable enough that I was able to catch it without too much drama. Although I did initially have cold sweat flashbacks to what that felt like on a regular two-wheel bike.

Riding in low 50 degree F weather was actually alright with my heated vest, heated grips, big Givi screen as well as SW Motech Kobra handguards with extensions. This is the first time I was able to ride in that kind of temperatures with the majority of it raining and still feel relatively safe riding. Could never do that on my old BMW R1150R because I would get too cold from the lack of protection from the elements on head/chest/hands, on top of the rain just making the ride not as much fun since you couldn't see anything.  

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member

See video at around 2:50 and again at the end. Not sure if these are Yamaha HandGuards but I like them alot. Color coordination is good. I wonder if it is a match for the Niken GT? Anyone have these, are they stock?